Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Why is my trans temp gauge pegged?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 02:13 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is my trans temp gauge pegged?

I recently started the car and my trans temp gauge spiked all the way clockwise and is now stuck there, even after disconnecting it completely. Any idea why?

Its an autometer 4457.

I appreciate any assistance.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:26 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay so you would never in a million years guess why the gauge broke.

Yesterday morning I had disconnected the trans cooler line to measure the fittings so I could hook up my auxiliary one. Knowing I would be doing it this morning, I didn't hook it back up. Well last night when I started the engine to check the voltages, I quickly spewed a GALLON of trans fluid on my driveway. Apparently when the fluid level dropped below the sensor, there was zero resistance and the gauge pegged. So I filled it back up, whacked the gauge smartly with my hand and the needle went back down and it works flawlessly.

I also had it hooked up wrong to begin with (it was getting 3.5-6V, not 12V). So now it works much much better.

Luckily I only had it started for 15-20 seconds to check the voltages and shut it off quick so I didn't **** off the neighbors at 3am.

I feel like a real jackass.