Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Stang article vs Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 05:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Default New Stang article vs Camaro

Just seen this yesterday. Looks like GM better STEP IT UP, but they prolly won't do squat till the Z28 comes out for 2011. In my opinion, they should do something asap with the SS. Even just a couple of options to either lighten it up, or more ponies. The only way to lighten it up would be to get rid of many of the luxury items as most of the other weight is required to pass safety standards.

Here's the link. Looks like it was put on a diet and is about 300lbs lighter.
However with all those ponies from a 5.0, it's prolly maxed out?

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/29/2...t-first-drive/
Old 03-30-2010, 09:15 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think that GM needs to step it up, it just becomes more of a drivers race, that's the way it should be.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I had a dollar for every time I heard "GM really has to step it up" over the last week I would be rich. My`question to that is, why? GM revolutionized the pony car game only 11 short months ago. Magazines as well as people have short memories I guess. People have been asking ford to step to the plate since 1994 and now all of a sudden they make a car that competes and GM better step up? They just hit a home run, now we wait and see what the 2011 Camaro will offer. Let's not forget the mustang is being compared to last years car. IMO the Camaro needs a 3.73 from the factory to be back ahead. It's like the early 90's all over again, the two cars are pretty much even and the mustang weighs 200lbs. less. I am so sick of hearing about how much faster the GT is when it traps the exact same mph and mags have tested it 1/10th faster. Let's see what happens on the street.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:28 AM
Staging Lane

http://jalopnik.com/5503993/2011-for...yline=true&s=i

this story pisses me off more. the author is an idiot claiming a relation between reaction times and 60ft, a 1/8th race with a 2.55 60ft out of the camaro.

So many things wrong with that article.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dark SS
GM revolutionized the pony car game only 11 short months ago.
expound
Old 03-30-2010, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 88blackgt
expound
A V6 version that was actually a performer, not just a car targeted at women.
Over 400 hp for 30K.
The benchmark of the segment that all the others manufactures were compared too.
The reason the 2011 mustang has the HP it does.
Should I go on?
Old 03-30-2010, 03:37 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mod both cars dollar for dollar and you will clearly see the winner is always going to be the Camaro.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:44 PM
Launching!

Cam + exhaust + tune, end of story. SS wins.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:04 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Originally Posted by Dark SS
If I had a dollar for every time I heard "GM really has to step it up" over the last week I would be rich. My`question to that is, why? GM revolutionized the pony car game only 11 short months ago. Magazines as well as people have short memories I guess. People have been asking ford to step to the plate since 1994 and now all of a sudden they make a car that competes and GM better step up? They just hit a home run, now we wait and see what the 2011 Camaro will offer. Let's not forget the mustang is being compared to last years car. IMO the Camaro needs a 3.73 from the factory to be back ahead. It's like the early 90's all over again, the two cars are pretty much even and the mustang weighs 200lbs. less. I am so sick of hearing about how much faster the GT is when it traps the exact same mph and mags have tested it 1/10th faster. Let's see what happens on the street.
This is an excellent post, I agree very much. I'm not completely happy with the '10 SS, mostly based on required option/equpitment content, but regardless they definitely pulled out in front of the competiton with the new Camaro. It's certainly not fair to bash GM just because the Mustang is finally starting to catch up. Just remember the fact that Camaro stopped production in 2002 and the last of that generation were still heavy competition for brand new Mustangs all the way till the new Camaro was released for 2010....then we get a new Camaro, and the base V8 is 100hp beyond the GT. Fact is, GM had Mustang beat so badly by 2002 that they didn't even need to release a new Camaro until now to keep up.

Originally Posted by squale iii
Cam + exhaust + tune, end of story. SS wins.
How about blower + exhaust + tune on the 5.0. Now the GT wins. This is why arguing about modded cars is pointless, nobody wins as long as there's another mod available.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 03-30-2010 at 04:10 PM.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:33 PM
LC
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RPM WS6

How about blower + exhaust + tune on the 5.0. Now the GT wins. This is why arguing about modded cars is pointless, nobody wins as long as there's another mod available.
thats not the case... in a sarcastic example

Mustang = 1hp
Camaro = 1hp

Mustang + cam + exhaust = 101hp
Camaro + cam + exhaust = 110hp

a lot of variables yes.. but dollar per dollar... a camaro will be faster with the same mods and yet cheaper...
Old 03-30-2010, 04:34 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6

key word...blower..

equally mod them was the statment at hand.

i like how the publicistis (sp?) were so dead quiet about how the 10 year old Camaro's were still pounding dents in the face of mustang since 1998, and the same Camaro's were still giving the BRAND NEW 2005-2010 a hard run for their money. but the second a mustang takes the lead by wait..... .1 of a second, they come out of the woodwork and bash the Camaro like its a honda civic.

people want to say GM paid (insert magazine title here) to pad their numbers, but the latest C&D makes me sick with all the inaccuracies.

the same magizines and ford fanboys hid from the fact that GM stopped production for 8 years and ford still couldnt compete. i guess they just cant take the ****, but they can deal it out.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Displacement

I agree that even so the stang is suppose to pop whatever HP, the Displacement of the 6.2 in the 2010 and 2011 Camaro should be quick enough to beat the new stang with low end Torque. Cause they prolly really have to wind the **** out of that 5.0 to get those ponies and I'm sure Torque won't not be as much as a 6.2 . (as I remember the red line is 7K) And like all the replies say, $ for $ I'm sure a mod for the camaro will cost less then a mod for the Stang ?

We will just have to wait n C what happens. B nice to see a camaro X new Stang race stock for stock just to see who wins. Naturally there's a % of driver error.........
Old 03-30-2010, 07:39 PM
11 Second Club

The LS3 engine is a BEAST. 500whp is not hard with a cam and head work. Your talking under 3k, maybe less if you find deals and do the work.

The TIVCT 5.0 WILL NOT hit 500rwhp with cam(s) and head work. Mark those words. The motor has high flow heads, good intake, good exhaust, and 11:1 compression. There is only so much you can squeeze out of a OHC 302c.i. TIVCT is more of a MPG thing and will make the already expensive 4v cam swaps even more expensive. If your going to stay stock or light bolt on, either car will do. If your a racer and you want the most POTENTIAL for the money there is no way in heaven, earth or hell a mod motor will EVER beat a big liter LSx mod for mod, FI for FI, nitrous for nitrous.

Once the 6.4 SRT drops the 5.0 boys will figure out very quickly that their NON F/I modulars are out gunned in the modding world by the much larger pushrod competition all the way down the strip/street.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:48 PM
TECH Regular

A heads and cammed LS3 I bet will out perform a Heads and Cammed 5.0. It is also alot cheaper for the camaro because of less parts to buy. If you had a 2010 SS vrs and 2011 GT and both cars had 5000.00 to use for mods what car would you think would be the fastest?
Old 03-30-2010, 07:55 PM
On The Tree

How about cam, heads, intake, exhaust AND blower on the SS?!? I'm getting close... I just might get rid of my Buell and contact Kenne Bell. Add some heads to my current setup and the sky is the limit. I'm close to 500 whp cam only, I'll be shooting for, oh, say 750?
Old 03-30-2010, 08:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

The new Mustangs are impressive. I said it!

However, I think some of the "impressiveness" from the '11 5.0 comes from the fact that the previous Mustangs have sucked, performance wise, and this is a HUGE improvement. The Mustangs of yesteryear (basically 1975-2009) have ALWAYS been the stomping grounds for the same year/competitor Camaro. Aside from the '03-'04 Cobra's (a time period in which the Camaro wasn't even produced), the Camaro always had more horsepower and was a bit quicker.

Now it appears as though the '11 GT is ON PAR (and I say on par because we're talking 1/10 of a second difference in the 1/4 mile) with the '10 Camaro SS. And this is all said before the '11 SS specs are released.

Should we be amazed that the Mustang now has a 6-speed transmission albeit the fact that the Camaro has had the same since 1993? (really Ford?!? 1993?) No.

Should we be amazed at the fact that the Mustang jumps up roughly 95 horsepower from last years model? Meh. This is rougly what the Camaro jumped from the 2002 model to the 2010. It is definitely going to sell cars, but shouldn't the Mustangs have been making this power all along, assuming the FoMoCo didn't get sidetracked with the crummy 4.6L in 1995 or whenever they switched? I'm going to say I'm not very impressed when it's put into context.

Looks wise, I think these newer 2010 and 2011 models look much better than the 05-09 models. Handling - yeah I've heard it's great, but we're talking muscle cars here. I'm not a big "handling" or "road manners" guy. Same goes for interior style. "Who cares," says I. I don't buy a muscle car for any of the above.

So - huge improvement for Ford - HELL YES.

Do I now consider the Mustang a respectable competitor for the Camaro SS? Yep.

Is this a huge leap to victory in the Mustang vs Camaro war - HELL NO!

Will the Camaro fire back next year and reclaim its throne of superiority - you bet.

And that's my two cents

Last edited by The Bronx Bull; 03-30-2010 at 08:35 PM.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The Bronx Bull
The new Mustang's are impressive. I said it!

However, I think some of the "impressiveness" from the '11 5.0 comes from the fact that the previous Mustangs have sucked, performance wise, and this is a HUGE improvement. The Mustangs of yesteryear (basically 1975-2009) have ALWAYS been the stomping grounds for the same year/competitor Camaro. Aside from the '03-'04 Cobra's (a time period in which the Camaro wasn't even produced), the Camaro always had more horsepower and was a bit quicker.

Now it appears as though the '11 GT is ON PAR (and I say on par because we're talking 1/10 of a second difference in the 1/4 mile) with the '10 Camaro SS. And this is all said before the '11 SS specs are released.

Should we be amazed that the Mustang now has a 6-speed transmission albeit the fact that the Camaro has had the same since 1993? (really Ford?!? 1993?) No.

Should we be amazed at the fact that the Mustang jumps up roughly 95 horsepower from last years model? Meh. This is rougly what the Camaro jumped from the 2002 model to the 2010. It is definitely going to sell cars, but shouldn't the Mustangs have been making this power all along, assuming the FoMoCo didn't get sidetracked with the crummy 4.6L in 1995 or whenever they switched? I'm going to say I'm not very impressed when it's put into context.

Looks wise, I think these newer 2010 and 2011 models look much better than the 05-09 models. Handling - yeah I've heard it's great, but we're talking muscle cars here. I'm not a big "handling" or "road manners" guy. Same goes for interior style. "Who cares," says I. I don't buy a muscle car for any of the above.

So - huge improvement for Ford - HELL YES.

Do I now consider the Mustang a respectable competitor for the Camaro SS? Yep.

Is this a huge leap to victory in the Mustang vs Camaro war - HELL NO!

Will the Camaro fire back next year and reclaim its throne of superiority - you bet.

And that's my two cents
Well said. Now maybe i'm crazy, but what about the new Alpha camaro? What is ford going to do then? They have had 8 years of no competition and really 12 years to catch up. Really not that impressed. Nice looking car for sure, but not impressed.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

think of it from ford's point of view...Camaro production stopped, so what does ford have to compete with? their 300+hp mustangs were out selling the non existant Camaro...now that the Camaro is back and running circles around the mustang in both performance and sales, Ford has no choice but to sack up and produce something. even tho they let nostalgia name plate "5.0" shoot themselves in the foot when it comes to mod's.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jamnut
I don't think that GM needs to step it up, it just becomes more of a drivers race, that's the way it should be.
Maybe not with the V8 cars but with the V6 they better, The '11 Mustang V6 put down 308rwhp Vs the 250rwhp from the V6 Camaro...not to mention the Camaro needs to be put on a diet in both trims.

Both cars are great and the coming Sales war will be interesting but I have a feeling the Mustang will win a few months in a row thanks to the new motors...I just hope GM doesn't sit back and let the V6 get smacked around by the Mustang like it will be.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:13 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SlvrV6Camaro
Maybe not with the V8 cars but with the V6 they better, The '11 Mustang V6 put down 308rwhp Vs the 250rwhp from the V6 Camaro...not to mention the Camaro needs to be put on a diet in both trims.

Both cars are great and the coming Sales war will be interesting but I have a feeling the Mustang will win a few months in a row thanks to the new motors...I just hope GM doesn't sit back and let the V6 get smacked around by the Mustang like it will be.
You misread the article, 308 was their estimate of flywheel hp, so it is almost identical to the Camaro V6. The mustang has a more aggressive gear option than the V6 Camaro, which is the model they used for performance testing. Overall the V6 mustang is faster than the V6 Camaro, but for the reasons most people look at the V6, I think it is close enough not to give anyone a strong reason to buy the Mustang over the Camaro. I agree though, they should make some changes for 2011 or certainly by 2012 to keep as close as possible. They should bump the motor to 3.8L, displacement is what the V6 Camaro is lacking to compensate for its weight disadvantage.

Quick Reply: New Stang article vs Camaro