Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some quick newbie questions

Old 03-30-2010, 06:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some quick newbie questions

I bought some MAF cleaner and an air filter recharge kit today and decided to obviously clean the MAF and refresh the air filter, but after getting everything apart I think I may have bigger problems.

It's got an SLP lid btw

so I unclip the lid from the front and as I'm loosening the first of the clamps in the throttle body/MAF area the entire MAF/lid just effortlessly slides off the throttle body. Turns out the rubber pipe that goes from the MAF to the TB wasn't even connected at the TB. The top of the pipe slipped over the TB, but the bottom was just smooshed up against it. This is what the TB looks like...

The rubber pipe connecting the MAF and TB looks like it's just some generic 3'' piece of rubber pipe from a hardware store cut with a knife. It's big enough to fit over the MAF just fine, but it's too small for the TB. Also, the lid was cut into two pieces and then clamped together around the MAF directly. There were no gaskets or anything. There was no rubber pipe between the lid and MAF, the lid was just clamped directly around it.

Are the MAF and TB supposed to be the same size?

I guess the more important question is, how screwed up is this? I'm guessing I'll need a new lid, and every single piece of hardware/piping that goes between the lid and the throttle body. Is there a place to buy all this as a kit? If not can somebody hook me up with a parts list?
Old 03-30-2010, 07:04 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The MAF is supposed to slide into the lid

All you need is a new lid and a stock bellow to go between the throttle body and MAF
Old 03-30-2010, 08:08 PM
On The Tree

huh, I wonder why the guy chopped the lid up then if it just slides right in. Is there any sort of gasket where the MAF meets the lid? It looks like the MAF is grooved for one.

Also, should I be concerned about how nasty my throttle body looks? Or maybe just run some seafoam through this thing after I get it all put back together properly?
Old 03-31-2010, 11:11 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

time for a new lid and bellow
Old 03-31-2010, 11:58 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by spoonraker
Also, should I be concerned about how nasty my throttle body looks? Or maybe just run some seafoam through this thing after I get it all put back together properly?
It's nasty because of the oil these engines suck in through the pcv and into the intake plus all the unfiltered air you were sucking in. All that dirt is sticking to the oil residue. I think some seafoam or gm top end cleaner would be a really good idea. Also is it a stock MAF or a larger aftermarket one.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DreamState23x
It's nasty because of the oil these engines suck in through the pcv and into the intake plus all the unfiltered air you were sucking in. All that dirt is sticking to the oil residue. I think some seafoam or gm top end cleaner would be a really good idea. Also is it a stock MAF or a larger aftermarket one.
I thought it was a stock MAF. It's slightly smaller than the throttle body. I think the inlet on the MAF is exactly 3''
Old 04-01-2010, 12:52 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is no gasket for the MAF, it slides directly into the air lid and gets clamped down
Old 04-02-2010, 09:44 AM
On The Tree

I think the previous owner cut the lid because it's a ridiculously tight fit into the lid. My new lid/bellow was delivered this morning. I didn't have too much time to play with it because I had to go to work, but the lid was definitely just slightly too small to fit over the MAF. I'm assuming I just take a heatgun to the lid a little bit or something?
Old 04-02-2010, 11:18 AM
TECH Regular

Never had that problem with the stock MAF on mine. Are you sure he cut it. There is usually a seem right there. If the MAF was to big for the lid engine movement can break the lid along that seem. If this is the case your new lid might suffer the same fate.
Just seems weird, I used to have problems with my MAF backing out of the lid due to a loose fit. That was with a CXI racing lid and my TSP lid.
Old 04-03-2010, 01:18 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DreamState23x
Never had that problem with the stock MAF on mine. Are you sure he cut it. There is usually a seem right there. If the MAF was to big for the lid engine movement can break the lid along that seem. If this is the case your new lid might suffer the same fate.
Just seems weird, I used to have problems with my MAF backing out of the lid due to a loose fit. That was with a CXI racing lid and my TSP lid.
Yeah both the old and new lid has a seem roughly following the cut, he probably used it as a guidline, but it was definitely cut. You can see the lines where he cut too far at the intersection of perpendicular cuts.

I got it all put back together and drove it today, it definitely seemed like it's running a bit better. It definitely looks better with a proper smooth bellow and a lid that's not hacked up. It was a bit tricky to get the MAF into the lid, but a few minutes with the girlfriend's hair dryer finally allowed it to pop in. The dog thought I was going to give him a bath when I pulled out the hair dryer lol

Here's another newbie question. The new lid came with a big hole drilled in the side of it and a hose. I think the directions said it's supposed to hook up with my AIR pump or something? My old lid (which was the same brand, SLP) didn't come with this. What is it for? And do I need to do anything with it, or just plug the hole?

looks like this:
Old 04-03-2010, 01:28 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by spoonraker
Yeah both the old and new lid has a seem roughly following the cut, he probably used it as a guidline, but it was definitely cut. You can see the lines where he cut too far at the intersection of perpendicular cuts.

I got it all put back together and drove it today, it definitely seemed like it's running a bit better. It definitely looks better with a proper smooth bellow and a lid that's not hacked up. It was a bit tricky to get the MAF into the lid, but a few minutes with the girlfriend's hair dryer finally allowed it to pop in. The dog thought I was going to give him a bath when I pulled out the hair dryer lol

Here's another newbie question. The new lid came with a big hole drilled in the side of it and a hose. I think the directions said it's supposed to hook up with my AIR pump or something? My old lid (which was the same brand, SLP) didn't come with this. What is it for? And do I need to do anything with it, or just plug the hole?

looks like this:
Just plug the hole and youll be good to go!
Old 04-03-2010, 03:34 PM
On The Tree

here's my temporary solution lol

yes, that's a cork

Search this Thread