Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Sound Deadening

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 09:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sound Deadening

Does anyone have any good ideas on where to start with this? I want to sound dampen the car.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slp_z28
Does anyone have any good ideas on where to start with this? I want to sound dampen the car.
If you want to do it right, then get 100+ sq ft of your favorite product - I used Damplifier Pro from Second Skin (best product IMO but pricey). Pull the seats, console, carpet all out of the car and start installing it. Put 2 layers on the tranny tunnel and get the doors really well. Very easy to do, but time consuming so give your self a whole weekend if you do the whole car. Can't stress enough to do those doors inside and out as it makes a world of difference. Good luck.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:11 PM
Teching In

I appreciate it. The car is my daily driver. I currently have poly motor mounts and cutout right under the passenger rear seat, so they'res plenty of rumbling, not to mention road noise. I want to cancel as much of that out as possible, considering I drive 250 miles a week.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:32 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

I'd start by searching this section of the forum (and the appearance and detailing section) - lots of good info is already out there.

It being a daily driver will make it difficult...it is a very time consuming process. You'll need a LONG weekend, if not more.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
I'd start by searching this section of the forum (and the appearance and detailing section) - lots of good info is already out there.

It being a daily driver will make it difficult...it is a very time consuming process. You'll need a LONG weekend, if not more.
I can do the long weekend part. That's not the problem. I'm more interested in getting the benefit of having a quieter vehicle.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:18 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Well...I'm in the middle of doing my car right now...I can tell you for sure that the doors are a pain in the ***. **** better be worth it.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:03 PM
Staging Lane

Good place to start - www.sounddeadenershowdown.com
Old 03-31-2010, 09:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Pull the dash pad*, Headliner, sail panels, and door panels*, then take your time since your car is completely drivable. Once your done with those areas pull the rear seats and all the rear hatch area panels* and carpet*. Then once you done with the rear area pull the center console, passenger seat, and the lower trim panels on both sides. Now you can do the front and rear passenger side. Now all you have left to do is the drivers side.

*Reinstall the dash pad, door panels and hatch area panels and carpet as soon as your done in those areas if you want.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 03-31-2010 at 10:00 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:24 AM
Staging Lane

You don't have to coat your entire car despite so many people doing so. I would highly recommend reading up on the site I posted above. The guy will do a custom quote for you based on your vehicle and goals. If you don't want to go that route, I would agree with the second skin recommendation.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DAVE00
If you want to do it right, then get 100+ sq ft of your favorite product - I used Damplifier Pro from Second Skin (best product IMO but pricey). Pull the seats, console, carpet all out of the car and start installing it. Put 2 layers on the tranny tunnel and get the doors really well. Very easy to do, but time consuming so give your self a whole weekend if you do the whole car. Can't stress enough to do those doors inside and out as it makes a world of difference. Good luck.

Wrong!

WRONG!

Pull your carpet and use your hand to knock all over the car trying to find a resonance. Put damping mat anywhere that you do. Additionally, put one layer of Luxury Liner (or Pro if you want more performance at the cost of more weight) under the entire carpet.

Done.

Quick Reply: Sound Deadening