Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

F-Body => Vette => CTS-V - any regrets?

Old 03-31-2010, 08:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default F-Body => Vette => CTS-V - any regrets?

I've owned F-Cars off and on for 20+ years. I've been blessed with a job with Texas Driving Experience, instructing and giving joy rides to customers in TDE's fleet of Z06s.

I'm wanting a daily driver and looking closely at 04/05 CTS-Vs. Prices are dropping into an affordable range and from posts I've read, a great car to own and drive.

So the question is ... for those of you who have gone from F-Cars, to Vettes and then the Vs, did you have any regrets? Surprises?
Old 03-31-2010, 10:15 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mitchntx
I've owned F-Cars off and on for 20+ years. I've been blessed with a job with Texas Driving Experience, instructing and giving joy rides to customers in TDE's fleet of Z06s.

I'm wanting a daily driver and looking closely at 04/05 CTS-Vs. Prices are dropping into an affordable range and from posts I've read, a great car to own and drive.

So the question is ... for those of you who have gone from F-Cars, to Vettes and then the Vs, did you have any regrets? Surprises?
I've had a couple of F Bodies, and currently have a C5 FRC and an 04 CTSV.

Pros:
-CTSV has gearing that I prefer over what the C5 came with.
-CTSV handles quite well all things considered.

Cons:
-Wheelhop sucks. The BMR bushing kit made a dramatic difference for me.
-Known issues like the diff can be a nuisance. (Mine's starting to whine pretty good, so it's a sore subject for me right now.)
-The interior is sort of cheapish for a car that cost >$50,000 new. Radio buttons, etc. At least there are "fixes" for some of it. For others, there aren't.

I bought both cars for bang for the buck... not sure what else I'd have as a daily instead of the V... It's nice to have 4 doors, good brakes, decent mileage, and still maintain the performance level it has at a reasonable (used) price level.

In short, I don't regret much... and plan to keep mine until used prices on 09+ Vs drop more.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Couldn't have said that any better myself. The only one of those 3 that i haven't owned is an F-body but i've been around them and i've ridden in many of them that my friends have owned. I've had a 300c srt8, 03 cobra and lots of other toys myself.

The V is the perfect mix IMO. Nothing to regret...
Old 03-31-2010, 01:00 PM
Teching In

I just sold my 9kmi 06 Z51 so I could pick up a V. I loved the car but I really love the Caddy too. I don't look back. Vettes are everywhere Vs, aren't. I can always get another Vette.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:48 PM

I actually tracked down an '07 Mallet V in October.

Previously, we had an '02 6 spd WS-6 (fairly modded) and an '03 automatic Vette. The vette was my wife's and she got sick of me bitching about it being an auotmatic and gave me the go ahead to geta 6spd.

I had full intentions of getting a new SS Camaro (I had a '69 several years back) until I drove one. I had too many complaints to justify buying one. I considered buying an SRT-8 Challenger but settled on a V. The Mallet package definitely puts it up a notch on a lot of things, but I don't miss our Vette too much.

It's nice to not have 16 yr olds in V-6 Mustangs want to race at every stoplight like when we had the Vette...on the other hand, no one notices the V unless they hear it...doesn't get the attention of a few cars I'd like to try my luck with...
Old 03-31-2010, 02:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by omahacadillac
It's nice to not have 16 yr olds in V-6 Mustangs want to race at every stoplight like when we had the Vette...on the other hand, no one notices the V unless they hear it...doesn't get the attention of a few cars I'd like to try my luck with...
I feel the same way.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Good info ... thanks.

So, are these 100K mile cars before needing increased maintenance attention? 150K? 75K?

I've seen nice and reasonably maintained F-Cars in the 130s and 140s still going strong. Hard to find a 100K Vette.

What about the Vs?
Old 03-31-2010, 02:59 PM
Staging Lane

Good info ... thanks.

So, are these 100K mile cars before needing increased maintenance attention? 150K? 75K?

I've seen nice and reasonably maintained F-Cars in the 130s and 140s still going strong. Hard to find a 100K Vette.

What about the Vs?
Assuming you buy a car that was reasonably well taken care of, I don't think you'll have many troubles aside from maybe a rear end. Mine's coming up on 70k (owned it since 40k). Like anything else, if it's been beat it'll need mounts, bushings, etc. sooner than one that hasn't. That said, mine just now required a new diff bushing, and the diff whine is getting to be more noticeable. My engine and trans mounts are still in good shape.

It's still an LS6 with an M12, and those components seem to hold up decently well. I've been in a 125k Vette and it was still plenty strong... and even held up to a small NOS shot for a while before finally "retiring" the stock clutch.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Yup... 104k here and still going strong. I havent owned it long but everything works as it should. Ive seen many 200k+ f-bodies on nitrous still going strong. With the proper maintenance, these LSX's are easily capable of 300k. Of course the risk of breaking something with abuse gets a little higher as it gets more miles on it but if you dont beat on your car and maintain it properly, it will last.

Last edited by NeverSatisfied02; 04-01-2010 at 07:30 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Appreciate the feedback. Mechanically, the LSx platform is rock solid.

I was more concerned about electrical gremlins, deteriorating interiors like seat bolsters or trim, rattles and squeaks, hubs, bushings ... that kind of thing.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:29 PM
TECH Veteran

I was more concerned about electrical gremlins, deteriorating interiors like seat bolsters or trim, rattles and squeaks, hubs, bushings ... that kind of thing.
Well cosmetic wear is unavoidable with age but the rest should be good to go. Regular maintenance and it wont require anything any other car wouldnt.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I bought mine new, and have 105k miles on my '05 now.

I have been very happy with the fit and finish on this car. It still looks great, and have minimal 'odd' noises.

The main thing that you need to deal with in this car is the drive train from behind the tranny back. I'm going to eventually need a new drive shaft (the carrier bearing in the 2 peice is not serviceable). I've had my current diff for 60k miles. It's noisey, but has been going strong. As long as you have at least a genII diff, you should be pretty good in that regard (as long as you don't go to the drags.) Various Cadillac 'rubber bits' also tend to wear out, like the motor mounts, and some of the suspension isolators.

The chasis itself is very strong. Jack from one jack point (front or back), and both wheels come right up. I think this helps from an overall squeek/rattle perspective. I've had no real electrical problems, aside from self inflicted alternator issues, and one overhead switch that shorted out. Considering how much computer stuff there is in this car, I have been impressed with the quality of those systems. My oil pressure sending unit is the only 'engine' issues I've had (and I've been modded almost since day 1).

The main issues I've had with my car have been self inflicted at the road course. I'm sure you can relate to that.

As long as you reasonable maintain the car, you can pound on it pretty good, and expect it to last.

-Chris
Old 04-03-2010, 11:39 AM
Banned

I went from a f-body to a V and Im happy as hell. This car is rare and everytime I pull up to a cruise with the Cutout open everyone gives me this WTF! look . I love it.

Sometimes I do wish I bought a F-body when all my buddies hit the track and etc, cause the v isnt a great 1/4 mile car. and with all the money I have into it Id have a 11 sec f-body.

But im happy with the purchase.
Old 04-04-2010, 03:19 PM
12 Second Club

I agree with most the guys on here, you can get an f-body or a vette all day long and they are everywhere you look, were as the V is not... I have been wanting a V for about 3 yrs and finally paid off my TA and decided i needed a DD so I could put the TA down for major work. Ran across my V in San Angelo TX and never looked back since 2007 with about 60K paid 21K for it.

Still got my TA for when I wanna go to the track and what not but the V is the DD for the most part... that is until the mod bug sets back in LOL
Old 04-04-2010, 10:40 PM
TECH Resident

I've had many fbodys but never owned a vette. My only regret is not buying a V sooner!
Old 04-06-2010, 08:53 PM
Teching In

got my v with 65,000 miles with a maggie so i knew it was pushed but it had a extended warranty so im good till 85,000. but yea have i had to take it in for mounts and its in now for a rearend. common problems. look for one with warranty and youll be safe. i paid 19,000 for mine and i love it
Old 04-06-2010, 09:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 626cts-v
got my v with 65,000 miles with a maggie so i knew it was pushed but it had a extended warranty so im good till 85,000. but yea have i had to take it in for mounts and its in now for a rearend. common problems. look for one with warranty and youll be safe. i paid 19,000 for mine and i love it
they still warranty your rear end with a maggie?

good for you man,

my V has no warrenty But I knew id be modding the hell out of it so I dont mind to much.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:18 PM
10 Second Club

I've have 7 f-body's, no vettes, and got my first v about a month ago, and honestly? I wish I would have done this a long time ago. like, 2 or 3 years ago.

My wife likes it so much, that we're already planning a purchase of a V2 sometime in the next few years when the price comes down a bit.

If it means anything, I've owned over 25 cars. About 16 of those where "performance cars". I used to be a mechanic, so the easy way for me to make money was buy something that needed work, get teh parts at cost and resell. And this car is the nicest car I have owned. Fits me and my style like a glove.

Cheers.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:54 PM
On The Tree

I did the f body to the v then the vette. I sold the V for a 05 vette, I loved the V and miss certain things about it but I love the corvette and i do not have a need for four doors. I will have a V again though but I will still have the vette.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:13 PM
TECH Veteran

I bet the vette is fun! C6 is my next sports car i think...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: F-Body => Vette => CTS-V - any regrets?