Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSX swap camaro 69 Th350 spacer

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 10:28 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LSX swap camaro 69 Th350 spacer

I'm swaping a 6.0L LSX in my 69 camaro, whit TH350 and i see somewhere that i need a spacer like Hughes # HP3795 sell on jegs or summit at 45$.... I have a curved flexplate on my 6.0L, and fit direct on my convertor that was on my 355 SBC... i think the convertor must be enter in the crank shaft, and the LS crank shaft are 0.400 inch shorter than SBC... it's the reason of this spacer...

Anyone have the spec of this spacer!

Thanks.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:21 PM
TECH Regular

yep that is the reason. and you need longer bolts between the flexplate and convertor. cause there will be between a 1/8th - 5/16th of a inch of space. I spent a week looking for that info.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:56 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for your anser... but i dont understand why have longer bolts.. you'r talking about the 3 bolts that screw the flexplate in the convertor? If it have 1/8 space between flexplate and convertor, you need to pu 1/8 washer between it and have longer boltds of 1/8 ? On my motor, i have a curved flexplate, and it supposed to fit directly on the convertor, after slot the 3 hole 1/8 go to the center!

Please, give me more info!

Do you have the spec of the spacer?
Old 03-31-2010, 10:53 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The spacer is needed to center the nose on the converter into the crank shaft. The converter will bolt to the curved flexplate that you have, but the nose is not long enough to engage into the crank.....so you might end up slightly off center with a horrible imbalance.

The spacer would go on behind the flywheel in your case and you need the longer bolts because now the bolts have to be long enough to go through the flywheel AND the spacer into the crankshaft.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:10 AM
TECH Regular

i am using a standard sbc convertor. so i need to to go throught the flywheel the space and then convert with a bolt. i am not using a ls style convert. i tried used standard flywheel to conv bolts. just making sure you dont buy those they need to be 10mm longer
Old 04-01-2010, 01:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by marco_chevy
Thanks for your anser... but i dont understand why have longer bolts.. you'r talking about the 3 bolts that screw the flexplate in the convertor? If it have 1/8 space between flexplate and convertor, you need to pu 1/8 washer between it and have longer boltds of 1/8 ? On my motor, i have a curved flexplate, and it supposed to fit directly on the convertor, after slot the 3 hole 1/8 go to the center!

Please, give me more info!

Do you have the spec of the spacer?
GM Performance Parts also sells a spacer for this application which you may be able to source locally and save shipping. Check for a GMPP dealer in your area. Mine cost $37 and the bolts were around $28

The spacer is .400 inches or 10.16 mm long and has a flange the torque converter rides in. Gen III engines use a crank flange that is .400 of an inch closer to the front of the block than the Gen I / II engines did. G-Body is right, at best you will have a terrible imbalance and worst you will damage the transmission without this part. Look at the pics for a visual of the part and how it is installed.

This is the part... (PN 12563532 on box)

...and here it is properly installed with a dished flexplate. If you have a flat flexplate the spacer goes first.

Bolts are sold extra and require six of PN 12563533.

There are some aftermarket variations of this but I prefer the GM variant because it bolts to the crank flange and thus is "one less thing to worry about" during a (hopefully) quick tear down session.

Hope this helps, but if you have more questions just ask.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:16 AM
Staging Lane

thanks a lot guys.... i already see the GM spacer kit... If you use a strait flexplate, i know that it is a must.... for have the flexplate 0.400 inch near of the convertor. But me, i have the curved flexplate... i do lot of mesurement yesterday, and the flexplate will bolt directly on the convertor whitout any spacer.. i only need to slot a little bit the 3 holes. after i have bolted my flexplate, i can mesure that it will have 3mm( 1/8) between the end of the crank and the end of the convertor. I also remark that the convertor was entered a bit more than 5/16 in the crank( i can see a mark).. that'.s make the 0.400 in.... Here in quebec, GM dealer are very costly on the gmpp part. they sell me the spacer 98$ can, and bolt are 10$ each... total of 175$ whit taxes ... i can have the hughes spacer for 100$ all included..

If i use the hughes spacer HP3795, i will not need longer bolts??? it's only a shim that enter in the crank, and this shim have a femelle end on the other side, for have the convertor enter in it... I will make a drawing and post it here in a few moment...

Thanks for your help... here, in Quebec, no speed shop have experience in swapping LSX in 69 camaro ...
Old 04-01-2010, 07:51 AM
TECH Addict

thanks a lot guys.... i already see the GM spacer kit... If you use a strait flexplate, i know that it is a must.... for have the flexplate 0.400 inch near of the convertor. But me, i have the curved flexplate... i do lot of mesurement yesterday, and the flexplate will bolt directly on the convertor whitout any spacer.. i only need to slot a little bit the 3 holes. after i have bolted my flexplate, i can mesure that it will have 3mm( 1/8) between the end of the crank and the end of the convertor. I also remark that the convertor was entered a bit more than 5/16 in the crank( i can see a mark).. that'.s make the 0.400 in.... Here in quebec, GM dealer are very costly on the gmpp part. they sell me the spacer 98$ can, and bolt are 10$ each... total of 175$ whit taxes ... i can have the hughes spacer for 100$ all included..

If i use the hughes spacer HP3795, i will not need longer bolts??? it's only a shim that enter in the crank, and this shim have a femelle end on the other side, for have the convertor enter in it... I will make a drawing and post it here in a few moment...

Thanks for your help... here, in Quebec, no speed shop have experience in swapping LSX in 69 camaro ...
The spacer and bolts I showed you can be bought through any GM dealership - thus no crazy shipping. I know you are north of the border and this is why I mentioned it.

The spacers are necessary for either flexplate using an older style transmission like a TH350. The picture I showed is now in my latest car (see sig for build topic) and uses a curved flexplate. I have thousands of miles and a few oil changes on this combo with no problems at all.

No, you don't need bolts for the Hughes spacer. It is the same concept but a completely different design. I prefer the GM one but the goal is the same.

The GM spacer I mentioned works with both flexplates, while the Hughes will not.

This is the Hughes spacer...
Old 04-01-2010, 08:58 AM
Staging Lane

Here are my cad drawing for this spacer...

43mm in and out... 3mm between the crank shaft and convertor, and 8mm enter on each side...
Old 04-01-2010, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have said spacers here, I had a few made for some swaps being done, PM me and I will get one to you.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:33 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Here in quebec, GM dealer are very costly on the gmpp part. they sell me the spacer 98$ can, and bolt are 10$ each... total of 175$ whit taxes ... i can have the hughes spacer for 100$ all included..
That isn`t really a performance products division part, its a regular production part. It was used on all of the 2000+ GM trucks that have a LS series motor and a 80e transmission. (I know that doesn`t help you any on price, but just wanted to keep the facts straight)

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
The spacer and bolts I showed you can be bought through any GM dealership - thus no crazy shipping. I know you are north of the border and this is why I mentioned it.
I`m thinking thats his local dealer prices. GM dealer parts prices are higher north of the border.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by G-Body
I`m thinking thats his local dealer prices. GM dealer parts prices are higher north of the border.
Could be true, but they also vary from dealer to dealer. I do know one dealer quoted me $58 while the one that is a GMPP dealer quoted me $37... guess where I went.

Sad that there is an x% upcharge for our chilly friends to the north.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:59 PM
Staging Lane

I receive a spacer from Herron Performance, same spacer sell by Hughes performance... very nice spacer... low price and fast shipping..

A+++ for Shon, Herron Performance.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:41 PM
On The Tree

Marco,
With that spacer do you still need to use different converter bolts?
Also, does this one only work on the curved plate or the flat plate?
Old 04-21-2010, 03:21 PM
Staging Lane

it's work only whit a curved flexplate... whit a flat plate, you need the gm spacer, that go before the flexplate, whit 6 longer bolts... see the #6 reply of this post.

For the converter bolts, i will use the same..., because the flexplate will be direct on the convertor.

Whit a flat flexplate, and the GM spacer before the plate, you will use the same convertor bolt also... the flexplate and the convertor must be in contact.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:41 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What about starter engagement?

If we have the flat flywheel, and we have to space the flywheel outward with the gm flange and longer bolts, does this mean we will need a different starter too?

Quick Reply: LSX swap camaro 69 Th350 spacer