Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Having Trouble Locating Struts

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 03:12 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having Trouble Locating Struts

I need some help with this. I've been online attempting to purchase some front struts/shocks for my 99 Camaro. My first choice is Bilsteins, but what I need is a company that can sell me just the front shocks/struts. My alternative choice would be Koni's. Can someone please advise me with this? Thanks fellas.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trnsfmr99
I need some help with this. I've been online attempting to purchase some front struts/shocks for my 99 Camaro. My first choice is Bilsteins, but what I need is a company that can sell me just the front shocks/struts. My alternative choice would be Koni's. Can someone please advise me with this? Thanks fellas.
Why do you only want to change the fronts??

When you go with a high performance strut/shock like Bilsteins or Konis, you need to have them at all 4 corners.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:27 PM
Launching!

yeah, if your going with aftermarket shocks such as Bilsteins or Konis, your gunna want to change all 4 corners. or else it won't ride like it should.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:29 PM
TECH Regular

Your ride will suffer, but it will not completely inhibit the ability to drive the car like these two have said. I changed only my rears and drove for six months just fine. Try ws6store.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ItsNotStock
Your ride will suffer, but it will not completely inhibit the ability to drive the car like these two have said. I changed only my rears and drove for six months just fine. Try ws6store.
I didn't say it would "inhibit his ability to drive the car", I just said there is no point to changing only 2 because you will realize damn near zero performance benefits. Which is why you typically buy them in a set of four.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:57 PM
TECH Addict

I disagree. I'll take 2 quality shocks and 2 crappy ones over crappy all around any day of the week. Maybe he already has the rears, or is buying them later on.

Anyway, Koni's are ideal, but if you're still using stock springs bilsteins will also do quite well. WS6store sells just the fronts for HD's (which is what you'd want with stock springs) but I don't know of anywhere that sells SLP's separate. If you're going with a lowering spring and are even toying with the idea of Koni's just go ahead and get them above anything else.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:44 PM
Launching!

I'm sorry for not telling you all this. I already have the rear Bilstein shocks on the car. I'm only needing the fronts. Recently, I had drop springs all around on the car, but after the install of my turbo kit, the turbo pipe hangs low, so i needed to raise the car to factory height. I purchased a set of factory height springs, with the factory struts. Those things suck, at least the fronts do. The rears are fine.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:44 PM
Launching!

Thanks creeper
Old 03-31-2010, 05:56 PM
Launching!

I just ordered the Bilsteins. Thanks guys, believe it or not, that was my first time hearing about the ws6 store.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:20 AM
Launching!

Just an update, along with the struts (which will be installed sunday) i also ordered the BMR rear sway bar. With just that alone, the rear feels and handles like it did with my drop springs on it, when it was brand new!!! I mean it feels like a vette, so damn good! Looking forward to the new strut job for it on sunday. Dammit I need to figure out how to post pics!!
Old 04-10-2010, 01:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Psst. They're shocks, not struts
Old 04-10-2010, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Psst. They're shocks, not struts
Since the front shocks have a spring seat, it's o.k. to call them struts.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by eseibel67
I agree. I consider them struts. Shocks do not have coil springs on them, nor do they support the weight of the car.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sparky JJO is on the money.

For those who cannot get their heads around Engineering oscillation dampening, let's try this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damping

then this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strut

Now, the difference between the two pertain to side loads that are not along the axis of compression. Anyone ever notice where an upper control arm is on a MacPherson or Chapman strut? (There are none due to those two designs).

Whether the control spring is placed over the damper body or beside or whether it's a coil spring, leaf spring, or torsion bar is irrelevant to this classification. There are struts that don't even have an additional control spring placed directly over the axis of compression, but actually design the body to withstand the side loads applied to it (hence the body itself serving as a torsion bar of sorts).

Don't be fooled by the various misnomer of parts names.

Last edited by Foxxtron; 04-12-2010 at 04:27 AM.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:50 AM
TECH Regular

call them whatever you want, but in english they are called SHOCKS.

Right on Foxxtron.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:37 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by eseibel67
Just because the shock has a spring seat doesn't make them struts. It's ok to call them that, if you want, and are ok with being technically incorrect. They are in fact coil-over shocks, not at all struts, and the way they mount to the bottom is very different. And there are struts that do not have the spring over the damper too, like 3rd gen's an Fox/SN95 Mustangs.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 04-12-2010, 05:51 PM
Launching!

To all those that care that much about the thread, I want to say I admire your passion. The shocks/struts are on the car and it handles like a dream. Thanks for yalls input's.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by trnsfmr99
I'm sorry for not telling you all this. I already have the rear Bilstein shocks on the car. I'm only needing the fronts. Recently, I had drop springs all around on the car, but after the install of my turbo kit, the turbo pipe hangs low, so i needed to raise the car to factory height. I purchased a set of factory height springs, with the factory struts. Those things suck, at least the fronts do. The rears are fine.
What did you do with the drop springs/ I want some on my 99 ta.