Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

First Drive: 2011 Ford Mustang 5.0 changes the game

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool First Drive: 2011 Ford Mustang 5.0 changes the game

Originally Posted by Autoblog.com
The reborn 2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS is the 2010 Ford Mustang GT's most obvious competitor (obviously). While the Camaro is certainly a head turner, it's just not that great of an all around performance car. However, despite the 2010 Mustang GT coming out on top in many comparisons against its crosstown rival, one fact is undeniable: When it comes to power, the Camaro SS kicked the Mustang GT's butt up and down the block. Across the drag strip, too. The 6.2-liter LS3-equipped SS (manual only, as automatic Camaros get the weaker L99 motor) produces a screaming 426 horsepower and 420 rumbling pound-feet of torque, enough mojo to embarrass the 2010 Mustang GT's relatively wimpy 4.6-liter V8 with its 315 hp and 325 lb-ft of torque. True, the Mustang handled better, rode better, had a much better interior and cost less, but at the end of the day we're talking muscle cars. Gumption matters. Chevy was king. Ford had to act.

And act it did. Meet the 2011 Ford Mustang GT, or as everyone is already calling it, the 5.0. That's right, Ford is offering enthusiasts an honest to goodness 5.0-liter V8 (302 cubic inches, baby! Check out our Deep Dive for all the technical mumbo jumbo) in the 2011 Mustang GT. As we're sure you know by now, thanks to some fancy breathing, the all new small-block produces 412 hp and 390 lb-ft of torque. That's less than the Camaro, sure, but remember that the Mustang is lighter than the Chevy by a good 300 pounds. Besides, it's looking like Ford has decided to underrate the 5.0's output by about 30 ponies for who knows what reason. Meaning that while Ford might be using invisible ink, the Mustang's got the Camaro beat on paper. But what about in the real world? Make the jump to find out.
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/29/2...t-first-drive/
Old 03-31-2010, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's a good read, now I'm wondering how its gonna go when we race them
Old 03-31-2010, 05:05 PM
On The Tree

Well its good to see they put out some good competition. But I'm inclined to think that those motors are already pushed to the limits power wise unless they add boost to them. The way they come stock is as fast as they are gonna get
Old 03-31-2010, 05:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess well really see how fast they are, when they start hitting the track. But it is good competition.. Let's see now what GM does to the camaro.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MSS91Z28
Well its good to see they put out some good competition. But I'm inclined to think that those motors are already pushed to the limits power wise unless they add boost to them. The way they come stock is as fast as they are gonna get
When have performance cars ever been as fast as they're gonna get stock? The factory always seems to leave more to be desired, that's a good thing. Plus, car guys never know how to leave well enough alone. So no, I sincerely doubt the 5.0 will be as fast as its gonna get stock.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS1 ACE
When have performance cars ever been as fast as they're gonna get stock? The factory always seems to leave more to be desired, that's a good thing. Plus, car guys never know how to leave well enough alone. So no, I sincerely doubt the 5.0 will be as fast as its gonna get stock.
Well we'll see. I mean I know those motors have more valves and blah blah blah but its a 302 cubic inch motor, how much more could it really put out? It's already putting out 430-450hp, I doubt there are large gains to be made in addition to that. But I'm no expert or ford guy by any means so if someone could provide a counter-argument id love to hear it.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well we'll see. I mean I know those motors have more valves and blah blah blah but its a 302 cubic inch motor, how much more could it really put out? It's already putting out 430-450hp, I doubt there are large gains to be made in addition to that. But I'm no expert or ford guy by any means so if someone could provide a counter-argument id love to hear it.
I agree, just like the 4.6 the only way to get more power will probably be thru a blower but I guess we'll just have to see. Thats one thing that is nice about the new camaro, making more power is really easy. Still I really appreciate the build quality, handling and braking of this mustang.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:01 PM
Teching In

nitrous lol.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:22 PM
Launching!

this is a joke. i dont think the 5.0 will beat a camaro and the new camaro is not a bullet. my stock camaro walked all over my friends mustang with full exhaust, tune, intake, some other little things. it was close got him by 4-5 cars each time. i have seen teh new camaro run and it looked alright, but i just dont like there engine designs with the multiple cams and valves. all i know is that the one cam, 2 valve system the chevy's used in the ls's has run all over these cars. i have seen more then one 600hp cobra lose to a 510-520 hp camaro and vettes. the rears are no good, and in stock form they grip like ****. i say camaro ss all over the mustang gt, oh wait thats been like that forever.....
Old 04-07-2010, 08:06 PM
TECH Regular

Do u understand the laws of physics???
Old 04-11-2010, 01:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DGageSS
this is a joke. i dont think the 5.0 will beat a camaro and the new camaro is not a bullet. my stock camaro walked all over my friends mustang with full exhaust, tune, intake, some other little things. it was close got him by 4-5 cars each time. i have seen teh new camaro run and it looked alright, but i just dont like there engine designs with the multiple cams and valves. all i know is that the one cam, 2 valve system the chevy's used in the ls's has run all over these cars. i have seen more then one 600hp cobra lose to a 510-520 hp camaro and vettes. the rears are no good, and in stock form they grip like ****. i say camaro ss all over the mustang gt, oh wait thats been like that forever.....
ummm.....have u seen the results of actual testing??? 12.7@111 FROM A MAGAZINE. Once people start taking them to the track and learning how to drive them better (and better weather and track prep) the times will be even quicker. They are now faster than the new SS.....also, keep in mind that the engine makes peak power @ 6500rpm and the rev limiter is 6850 so once people start modding and bumping up the rev limiter so they can shift at 7000rpm or so, that will help a bit as well. Theres no doubt about it, this new 5.0 is the real deal.

Quick Reply: First Drive: 2011 Ford Mustang 5.0 changes the game