Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Toss the QA1's for koni/strano??? Benefits?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 06:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Toss the QA1's for koni/strano??? Benefits?

Well i haven't bitten the bullet and bought the koni's yet as ive been doing heads/cam/nitrous/built T56 and full suspension(just need a tq arm). I bought the car with 60k and the only mods being a Borla and a set of Hal QA1 double adjustables all around.

Ive done front/rear swaybar, adj LCA, STB, double adj panhard, SFC etc...

Now i am wondering what kind of changes i could see in the car from a Hal QA1 double to koni/strano setup.

Personally i want the car to work all around for me, i see the track alot and i want to get into auto-x again, on top of that i drive it hard and a lot on the street. Given the last camaro i had was lowered on bilsteins and some eibachs and SFC's only, so the handling characteristics of both cars are dramatically different.

I also realize that a triple purpose for the car is hard to fulfill, but which setup matches my needs the best? Thanks in advance, and sorry if there are grammatical errors... 17 hours at work and im tired
Old 04-01-2010, 12:17 AM
Launching!

I don't know how good Koni's are but there is a lot of bandwagonning going on here for them. It's unfortunate that nobody has found a more affordable recommendation than a set of shocks that costs $800+. It would be nice if koni offered a non-adjustable shock for front/rear that was more in line with the price of bilsteins (which I would say are good enough for the majority of people on here).

I do know how bad QA1's are for anything other than drag racing. With QA1s my WS6 has a ride that is akin to an old buick. It's very soft and squishy. Not uncomfortable but you can really feel the general lack of control. Steering response is mushy, lots of nose-dive during braking (even moderate braking)...so yeah, it is bad.

I have QA1 shocks on front and rear, with stock rear springs and QA1 springs in the front. I would not think of auto-xing in QA1s but maybe drifting would work. You know what you want to do and what you can afford. IMO driving around cones in a parking lot is more fun in a go-cart.

I'm going to replace my QA1s with the SLP Level 2 kit (eibach springs / bilstein shocks). The price is right and it should offer great "all around" performance while maintaining cruise-worthy ride quality. The more roles you want your car to fulfill the more willing you need to be to compromise.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:22 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SsZERO
I don't know how good Koni's are but there is a lot of bandwagonning going on here for them. It's unfortunate that nobody has found a more affordable recommendation than a set of shocks that costs $800+. It would be nice if koni offered a non-adjustable shock for front/rear that was more in line with the price of bilsteins (which I would say are good enough for the majority of people on here).
if there were a shock that was equally as good for less, people would recommend that. bilsteins are great for stock springs and decent with some others but really can't handle higher spring rates as well as konis. last i heard koni was actually still developing a new shock for our cars (been in the works for a loooooong time) you can read about a bit here:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...et-shocks.html

it's exactly what you said, just a non adjustable shock. would cost somewhere around halfway between the bilsteins and current konis.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

you will make no regrets if you get the 800+ dollar shocks, I have them on a softer setting, and they handle better.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:15 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=SsZERO;13120265]I have QA1 shocks on front and rear, with stock rear springs and QA1 springs in the front. I would not think of auto-xing in QA1s but maybe drifting would work. You know what you want to do and what you can afford. IMO driving around cones in a parking lot is more fun in a go-cart.
QUOTE]

What is the spring rate of those front springs?
Old 04-01-2010, 12:27 PM
Staging Lane

i dont want to do cones in a parking lot lol. Either harris hill or the driveway.

As for the spring rate... not sure as they came on the car. I could take them off and look for a Part # i guess.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ford
Well i haven't bitten the bullet and bought the koni's yet as ive been doing heads/cam/nitrous/built T56 and full suspension(just need a tq arm). I bought the car with 60k and the only mods being a Borla and a set of Hal QA1 double adjustables all around.

Ive done front/rear swaybar, adj LCA, STB, double adj panhard, SFC etc...

Now i am wondering what kind of changes i could see in the car from a Hal QA1 double to koni/strano setup.

Personally i want the car to work all around for me, i see the track alot and i want to get into auto-x again, on top of that i drive it hard and a lot on the street. Given the last camaro i had was lowered on bilsteins and some eibachs and SFC's only, so the handling characteristics of both cars are dramatically different.

I also realize that a triple purpose for the car is hard to fulfill, but which setup matches my needs the best? Thanks in advance, and sorry if there are grammatical errors... 17 hours at work and im tired
The car may not launch as well, but it will drive and handle light years better than the QA1 setup could ever hope to.

Originally Posted by SsZERO
They are really no more expensive than QA1s so how can you complain?
Old 04-01-2010, 01:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by therealcreeper
if there were a shock that was equally as good for less, people would recommend that. bilsteins are great for stock springs and decent with some others but really can't handle higher spring rates as well as konis. last i heard koni was actually still developing a new shock for our cars (been in the works for a loooooong time) you can read about a bit here:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...et-shocks.html

it's exactly what you said, just a non adjustable shock. would cost somewhere around halfway between the bilsteins and current konis.
I saw the STR.T shocks on their website but yeah, still no word on when they'll be available for our cars.

Originally Posted by ChucksZ06
What is the spring rate of those front springs?
Honestly I could not tell you...I have the older QA1s so I am not srue if they changed it over the years, but it is very very soft. It's designed for drag racing, that is why it is so bad for anything other than drag racing.

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
The car may not launch as well, but it will drive and handle light years better than the QA1 setup could ever hope to.
Honestly I don't think that you would give up much in the way of 60 ft times by ditching the QA1s on a street-driven fbod. If you got a 1200 HP car that runs 9s then yeah, you probably want the QA1s.

They are really no more expensive than QA1s so how can you complain?
When I got my QA1s I paid about $650 total for the 4 shocks and 2 front springs. They don't make rear springs, at least not when I got them, but if they did you can figure it would be another $150 tops bringing the potential total to $800 for 4 shocks and springs. With Koni sport shocks, you're talking $750-$850 for shocks alone and another $280 for springs, so that's $1000+ just for shocks and springs. I think the ideal price for shocks AND springs that are the same quality as Konis is about $800 out the door...not complaining, just sayin
Old 04-01-2010, 06:49 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

There is no comparison between QA1 and Koni's beyond similar pricing. None. Koni's ride better, handle better, and have a lifetime warranty. I'm sure sooner or later someone will chime in here, I know Mario Tillery has had both and everytime this pops up he says the same thing--that there is no comparison. I've got a lot of others who've had both and they all agree too.

Koni's aren't cheap, but they won't be getting any cheaper when the sale ends, in fact expect about $150-200 more per set, depending on which set when the sale ends. I'll add that you do get what you pay for. In fact someone said just that earlier in this thread.

You are comparing apples and oranges. Like comparing a GT3 to a ZR1 in a way. They might cost the same, they don't drive the same and aren't built the same way either.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 04-02-2010, 01:16 AM
12 Second Club

I used to live in Austin-And ran QA1s on the street. And my handling coming off 183 to I 35 south sucked big time. I lived in Cedar Park at the time and drove to my Facility south of BIA. Lots of curvy roads-lots of fun. Not on QA1s. With the SA konis-I drive casual where as with the QA1s I would be pushing them hard. If you like to drive in the country say on 16 near Kerrville? You will not like the sloppiness of a drag shock even tho its double adjustable. And as for a triathalon for your car? You will plow thru cones-working your front brakes due to shock fade, You will really like the way the SA koni band wagon rides over other shocks. So go ahead and pull the trigger.

Last edited by tillery; 04-02-2010 at 01:22 AM.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

F^%k Monroes, they are the worst can't wait to get the koni's. i didn't know better. i learned.