Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Spohn Del-Sphere Control Arms installed today

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 06:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Spohn Del-Sphere Control Arms installed today

I ordered these about two weeks ago and finally got some decent weather in Chicago to do the install so I took the day off. These are really awesome looking and the change was immediately noticed. Better traction, especially powering out of a turn, and I no longer feel the rear end "bind" when the A4 shifts from 1-2 like I used to.

Definitely a worthwhile investment!

I also installed a Jantzer ported throttle body last weekend. Best value for the buck yet!! Throttle response is much improved and car seems to pull a little harder.
Attached Thumbnails Spohn Del-Sphere Control Arms installed today-resized-9-.jpg   Spohn Del-Sphere Control Arms installed today-resized-11-.jpg   Spohn Del-Sphere Control Arms installed today-resized-13-.jpg   Spohn Del-Sphere Control Arms installed today-resized-4-.jpg  
Old 04-01-2010, 02:09 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

idk about it pulling any harder from a P&P throttle body..but yeah the LCA make a big difference.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:23 AM
12 Second Club

I Could be just imagining it but it feels stronger. throttle response is definitely improved though.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

got mine with both ends del sphere......the del joints are not as noisey as strait up sperical ends......but just a little noisey ........gotta love that freedom of movement tho
Old 04-08-2010, 07:07 PM
12 Second Club

I kind of wish I had gone that route now. I am hearing some squeaking from the poly bushings when I go slow through bumpy parking lots but the del-sphere seems really quiet.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:20 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 02SS6366
I kind of wish I had gone that route now. I am hearing some squeaking from the poly bushings when I go slow through bumpy parking lots but the del-sphere seems really quiet.
Hello
I noticed you are hearing some squeaking from your poly ends. How old are they? And another suggestion is when you have a chance put a pump of grease in each bushing and see it the squeak is still there. Just some food for thought! If there is anything else I can help with leave me know.
Thanks
Brad
Old 04-23-2010, 12:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Nice job on the ported throttle body.

Good choice on your new LCAs too.

I might try a set of chromoly double ended Del-Sphere LCAs.

Old 05-03-2010, 01:07 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks.

Just as a followup on the poly ends that were making some noise, I greased them again this weekend and they are now fine. Intuitively, I would grease anything until I see grease come out of the joint, but the Spohn directions caution against overgreasing the poly bushings so I only put 2 pumps of grease in the first time.

Well, it turns out they can take about 6 pumps (at least from my full size grease gun) until they start to become full and you will eventually hear joint start to expand and the grease trying to work its way out. I stopped right at that point and they are fine now - no noise at all.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02SS6366
Thanks.

Just as a followup on the poly ends that were making some noise, I greased them again this weekend and they are now fine. Intuitively, I would grease anything until I see grease come out of the joint, but the Spohn directions caution against overgreasing the poly bushings so I only put 2 pumps of grease in the first time.

Well, it turns out they can take about 6 pumps (at least from my full size grease gun) until they start to become full and you will eventually hear joint start to expand and the grease trying to work its way out. I stopped right at that point and they are fine now - no noise at all.

Other than the sqeak, how is the road noise level with your LCAs ?

No issues with the Del-Sphere end of the LCA ?

Old 05-04-2010, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm interested to hear about noise levels also......
Old 05-08-2010, 05:57 PM
12 Second Club

No issues with the delsphere end at all and now that the poly ends are properly greased no squeaking there either. I do get a little more feedback from the rear axle on deeper expansion joints and cracks in the road (I live in Illinois) but with the radio on I don't even notice and I don't see it as a downside. On the plus side, it feels like the rear suspension is working better, although this is really subjective. The rear end is definitely planted better and wheel hop is significantly reduced but I still get the occasional wheel hop on the right side (inside) when really hammering out of a right corner. I am running Nitto 555 tires.

I was at the Speed Inc open house today and UMI had a Camaro SS up on a lift with all their goodies installed. I really like their torque arm and transmission relocation bracket. I am thinking about doing that when I do a converter this summer.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's good to know, thanks for the feedback.

As far the occasional wheel hop on the right side when hammering out of a right corner, that might just be a shortcoming with the panhard bar design on our cars. Watts link are supposed eliminate that.

I must admit, I like the Del-sphere design over the Roto-Joint design.
With that said UMI makes some great components. Thier Trans Relocation is real nice as is thier 3 point subframes.

Old 05-08-2010, 06:39 PM
12 Second Club

The car UMI had at Speed Inc today had those 3 point subframe connectors too as well as the full K-member set up. Also had dual exhausts with turn downs ahead of the rear end. It looked really sweet!!
Old 05-08-2010, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wish I could've been at Speed Inc to see it.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I installed the Spohn lca's and panhard bar with del-sphere joints about a year ago and they make the car hook alot better. I do have a problem though. Every month or two, I have to keep tighting the joints on the lca's and phb with that special tool because they become very loose and start to slam against the mounting points and also make the car wobbly loose. When I say loose, I mean I can turn them without resistance by hand with the car on the ground.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryanmgaspard
I installed the Spohn lca's and panhard bar with del-sphere joints about a year ago and they make the car hook alot better. I do have a problem though. Every month or two, I have to keep tighting the joints on the lca's and phb with that special tool because they become very loose and start to slam against the mounting points and also make the car wobbly loose. When I say loose, I mean I can turn them without resistance by hand with the car on the ground.
The Del-Sphere Pivot Joints have set screws to keep that from happening, don't yours have set screws?
Old 09-08-2010, 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

+1 on knowing about the set screws.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
The Del-Sphere Pivot Joints have set screws to keep that from happening, don't yours have set screws?
Yes, they have the set screws in place to keep them from coming loose. I have to take the set screw out and turn each joint 3 or 4 turns to get it back tight. That means the bushings or whatever it's made of is wearing out I'm assuming. The joint isn't backing out... it's just getting looser.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ryanmgaspard
Yes, they have the set screws in place to keep them from coming loose. I have to take the set screw out and turn each joint 3 or 4 turns to get it back tight. That means the bushings or whatever it's made of is wearing out I'm assuming. The joint isn't backing out... it's just getting looser.

Thanks for the information.

That's the first issue I've heard about the Spohn Del-Sphere Pivot Joints.
I had a member PM me regarding the the UMI Roto-Joints, had problems with them coming loose.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:12 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bearcatt
Thanks for the information.
That's the first issue I've heard about the Spohn Del-Sphere Pivot Joints.
I had a member PM me regarding the the UMI Roto-Joints, had problems with them coming loose.
Our original design did not use set screws, it used an internal lock washer that applied pressure to the inside of joint. It worked well for us and the testing we applied but some customers had issues. We changed the design to a locking set screw in May.

Whether its a UMI joint or a Spohn joint and it has a set screw there should be no need to tighten them that often. Maybe check them once a year. But turning it in 3-4 turns a week shouldn't be right. Is the set screw missing and allowing the ring to back off?

Quick Reply: Spohn Del-Sphere Control Arms installed today