LS3 6speed 1st and 2nd gear problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 09:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS3 6speed 1st and 2nd gear problem

Any help with my 2010 SS M6 problem? GRINDING/NOTCHY
3300 miles ODO.
THANKS ahead of time bc this is long but explains in good detail. And I heard of others havin similar problems with different causes, but not explained enough to know if it’s the same thing as mine.
Before I had many problems 1) clutch sticking to the floor on hard launches, 2) descently more than normal drivetrain noise with daily driving, 3) when shifting 1st through 4th gear I had hesitation/notchiness feeling at ANY RPMS 4) slowing to 30 mph and downshifting to third or shifting to 2nd at like 10 mphs, I could hear and feel slight grindiness as if it was the synchros in the tranny. 5) have to granny shift into second when aggressive driving

I fixed a good bit of the problems so far. From doin research and seeing improvements in some of my friends cars, I put Mobil 1 Dex III ATF in the transmission. I switched to Super Dot 4 brake/clutch fluid from GM to help with clutch fluid breakdown and do a flush every so often after aggressive driving! I also installed the hurst short throw shifter and it helped a lot bc the stock shifter is Garbage!!
But i still have a few slight issues..same things causing each problem I donno!! So any good info is very useful!

These are much fewer but same problems in more detail
1ST PROBLEM--my 1st and 2nd gear feels notchy EVEN sitting at a red light. If i try to put it directly in first it goes in everytime but is notchy, also notchy when I go to second. But every now and then they are both smooth. If I go from 1st to 2nd to 1st to 2nd and back in 2nd to 1st blah blah blah a couple times all of a sudden my 1st and 2nd are like butter goin in everytime. sometimes it takes just once of going 2nd to 1st and sometimes it takes 3 or 4 times. Does it first thing in the morning on start up and after a while of driving. So temps should be out of the question.
Sometimes when at a stop just cranking the car, or even at a redlight after the car is warmed up, playing with the shifter it completely blocks me from second, but when I go up in first or another gear and back to second it goes in. It would go about half way and just absolutely no further into 2nd.
2ND PROBLEM and the problem I would like to fix the most!!!-- when i try shifting into 2nd while hammering the throttle at the track or street it trys grinding instead of just being notchy and has made me miss a few shifts. I let off and slowly get it in gear so its not severely damaging when it does. Its 95% smoother while granny shifting from 1st to 2nd at higher RPMS! I dont know if its because of something snagging my shifter on swift shifts or what. Or If it could possible be the slave cylinder. 2nd to 3rd smooth, 3rd to 4th smooth etc. But at high rpms it does it going into second!! I thought maybe im pulling the shifter too fast down before fully depressing the clutch but Ive practiced shifting the same timing of clutch and shift going 3rd to 4th and its smooth like every other gear. And also randomly very very very few times i notice while aggressive driving it shifts completely smooth from 1st to 2nd

-Its ridiculous to have to granny shift a sports car when it was stock and still now with a short throw.. did it the stock so the hurst shifter being the problem.. unlikely!
-Could it be the slave cylinder problem.. but y would it do it while chilling at a red light.. I would believe it to possibly be the cause when more at high rpm shifting tho!
-My best guess but im no mechanic!!!.. Could I have something external on the tranny near the shifter keeping it from smooth 1st to second or opposite, and keeping me from shifting quickly into second which causes me to miss?? I heard of some people having problems with the Ebrake boots or something like that but I don’t know if that has anything to do with it.. and don’t know where to look to see if it is. This does kinda make since if it is the problem bc in 1st and 2nd gear the upper part of the shifter is leaning left meaning the lower end of the shifter is cocked towards the right which is where the Ebrake is. But that is just a guess, it may not even be close to it to be able to do this I donno. I would just like to know if it could, and where to look, bc I live in an apt and cant just jack my car up to look under it.

Im descently knowledged about vehicles and I don’t want to have to bring it to the dealer bc my car is my baby and unless it’s a pretty expensive fix or recall, I like to be the one to work on it or have a friend that has a shop to do it where I don’t have to leave my car. And I hate dealers and also random people workin on my stuff. But I do know someone that even with a couple mods they wont hassle me about my warranty even if it doesn’t void it so im not worried about that.
Just any knowledgeable info would be helpful bc im most like going to have it on a lift again this Friday and I can check the shifter out and anything else.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:12 AM
On The Tree

Where you located I would like to see this myself
Old 04-01-2010, 12:28 PM
Teching In

I live in Baton Rouge.
It is so weird because this morning on my way to work it shifted like a champ the whole way to work. But it only takes 10 mins to get to work.

Does anyone know of any specific tools, or different procedure than regular bleeding procedure, for the 2010 camaro? its the TR6060 tranny with the same reservoir for both brake and clutch! I dont know of anyone saying that they have done it themselves and not had a dealer do it. Ive searched many forums so far and nothing!! Im bringin it to a friends shop tomorrrow to get my intake and EFI live tune so I could throw it up on the rack to do it if someone knows for sure i can do it? (like i heard by ONE person that they took it to the dealer bc the bleeder required a specific tool?) donno if its true and if it is would like to get one before tomorrow.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:22 PM

Default 1st to 2nd gear problem

I brought my ls3 e3 very clubby last year only done 5,600km on it in drive it daily it used to he so smooth changing gears then one day it went all weird. Now I have to drive slow and slowly put it into 2nd. Sometimes it won't let me and I have to force it into 2nd gear. Other times when taking off really quick there is no struggle. I have read other problems on this but I'm not to sure on what to do I had a service and I told them but they didn't do anything about it what should I do

Quick Reply: LS3 6speed 1st and 2nd gear problem