Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Detail Guys In Here. Not Happy With A Professional Detail I Got

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 02:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Detail Guys In Here. Not Happy With A Professional Detail I Got

Ok so at the end of the season last year I took my car to an f-body owned detail shop (not going to name the shop) to get my trans am detailed.

Ok here are some things about my car. It has 49k miles on it. Since 2006 it has been garaged, so the last 9k miles it has been in the garage. The car has NEVER seen snow or salt. Hasn't seen rain since I bought it in 2005.

The paint was pretty flawless to begin with. I took it to said shop to get a detail, I dunno what the process was, picked it up looked good as it was dusk when I picked it up. Paint looked smooth and shiny and flawless. Went to a gas station to fill it up to put back in the garage. HAHHA I see the paint under the lights that the gas staion has and I got sooooo pissed off The same little swirls on the spoiler and rear quarter panels were there.. Called him told him my concern and he said that he would try something different. I also told him that throughout my paint there are an azz load of little tiny 1" long scrathches???? But here's the thing, you would never now they are there unless the light hits them right and if you run a fingernail over them, you cannot even feel them, anyone know what the hell those are??????????????

So the car was detailed yet again, again picked it up at night, this time I drove it home, stored the car and threw the cover over it b/c I didn't want to deal with it.

Well I pulled it out of storage just this past Tuesday in direct sunlight, same old shiit on there C'mon man is it that hard to detail my car that is in really good shape to begin with? At this point I don't care, I cut my losses and said fvck it, not going to call that detail shop.

So Chicago guys, is there ANYONE that can use the menzernia (sp) lakecouty orange pad what ever the fvck the other guys do and get it to come out soooo smooth, silky shiny like Presidental does, Tropicare?

What I don't get is my car doesn't see the elements yet the paint looks like shiit. And before you ask my wash routine, I used Meguiars gold class shampoo, use a wool mitt and I dry it with a leaf blower.. So I dunno, I am confused

Please help!!!!!
Old 04-01-2010, 05:26 AM
TECH Regular

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd just buy the stuff an do it yourself. It isn't anything too difficult.
Wash, clay, rinse , orange pad, white pad, wash, seal.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:35 AM
Internet Mechanic

and that is why I am doing it myself from now on. I am line to get a GV style DA buffer. My bro loves rotaries but I learned on those, I'm taking baby steps.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:20 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

he may not be using a compound that is good enough at cutting. stuff like menzurnos (SP) super intensive polish and there are others i just dont know the name.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:45 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depending on the condiction of the paint. I would use Menzerna SIP followed by Menzerna 106ff. Start with the least aggressive first. Like SIP and a white pad or orange pad and 106. Meguiars also has a polish called M105 which is very aggressive but may be necessary for the hard GM clear. A porter cable 7424 works well but a rotory will get it done faster. I have had good results with both. Best of luck just take your time.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:11 AM
Internet Mechanic

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/index.php

These guys have really helped me become a better detailer.

IMO this is one of the things that with my car I trust me doing it. The place that Painted my WS.9 Hood, which came out AWESOME unfortunately did a QUICK and IMO crappy buff job. So just becuase they are reputable one way, does not mean it goes both ways.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If I were you I would get yourself a Porter Cable DA or a FLEX DA, Meguiars 105 and 205 and do it yourself.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

The best way to fix the problem is buy the tools/products and do it yourself. For the price of a detail, you can have the tools needed. Everytime the car is washed, damaged is done. It can be little or big depending on what is being used. A dirty wash mitt can scratch up the paint real fast. Sound like some Menzerna or equal with an orange pad will fix the problem you are describing. It takes a little time to remove the imperfections. You can use the right products and buff the paint fast and not correct anything. I am too far away to help you "hands on" but maybe there is someone close to you that can. If your looking for a PC Buffer Kit, I can hook you up. Just sold a kit to a member yeasterday. I am a rep for ShowroomFX, formally Tropi-Care. Steve is no longer a sponser here, so I don't want to step on any toes.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:04 AM
TECH Addict

I really believe in doing the car's detailing myself. . . .

But, some of the pro detailer guys on here do some amazing work. I would love to have my car done by someone who's work I have seen on here.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:12 AM
12 Second Club

If been doing it myself for years, and it's the only way to go. Do some research on products, figure out what you need, and start detailing
Old 04-01-2010, 01:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Dude!?! I told you before the winter storage season that I'd hook you up. I believe when I called or PM'd you, you said you're good because you were taking it to a detail shop. I'm glad it worked for ya!

Same deal as before: I'll loan you my Porter Cable 7424 for free. I'll show you how to use it. The only thing I ask is if you could purchase your own Orange pad from Tropi-care.com. It sounds like it'll be a whole-car project and it sounds like you'll wear my pad down. It's only 8 bux I think. I'll supply the white and blue pads.

It sounds like the shop used a good wax with some type of rotary. It does a good job of filling in the swirls temporarily. After a few days or weeks the swirls will resurface. I got the compounds you would need too. For very light swirls, I would use the TC-8 on an orange pad. For medium swirls, the Mezerna IP on an orange pad and for heavy swirls some 3M Rubbing compound on a yellow pad followed by Mezerna IP on an orange pad.

Last edited by 02TransAm/Batmobile; 04-01-2010 at 01:48 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02TransAm/Batmobile
Dude!?! I told you before the winter storage season that I'd hook you up. I believe when I called or PM'd you, you said you're good because you were taking it to a detail shop. I'm glad it worked for ya!

Same deal as before: I'll loan you my Porter Cable 7424 for free. I'll show you how to use it. The only thing I ask is if you could purchase your own Orange pad from Tropi-care.com. It sounds like it'll be a whole-car project and it sounds like you'll wear my pad down. It's only 8 bux I think. I'll supply the white and blue pads.
There you go. Take adavantage of his offer.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:45 PM
Staging Lane

autogeek.net
autopia.org
Old 04-01-2010, 02:06 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by red4.8
autogeek.net
autopia.org
This.

Start doing it yourself. Its really not that bad. The clear on these vehicles is super-hard, and can take some really aggressive cutting to perfect. Sounds to me like your detailer didn't go aggressive enough...
Old 04-01-2010, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Try doing it yourself like everyone else said. It's not as difficult as you might think.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks guys for the support. I will have to read about detailing and see what I can do

James- would you be willing to gimme a hand with my trans am and show me to correct way? And yes I will buy my own pads.

Thanks

-Jonas
Old 04-01-2010, 03:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
Thanks guys for the support. I will have to read about detailing and see what I can do

James- would you be willing to gimme a hand with my trans am and show me to correct way? And yes I will buy my own pads.

Thanks

-Jonas
Hey,

Let me know if this actually happens. I'd like to stop by and watch (learn myself).
Old 04-01-2010, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you have any pics?
Old 04-01-2010, 06:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 99monguse
If I were you I would get yourself a Porter Cable DA or a FLEX DA, Meguiars 105 and 205 and do it yourself.

how about harbor freight tools, for a beginner?
Old 04-01-2010, 07:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by fucter

how about harbor freight tools, for a beginner?
Those are not good for beginners you can burn the paint very easily the DA's like the porter cable are much more forgiving

Quick Reply: Detail Guys In Here. Not Happy With A Professional Detail I Got