General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Coolant Leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 08:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Leak

I am leaking coolant from the resevior. I took out the battery and it looks like the leak is coming from the feed line from the resevior to the radiator, right where it goes into the resevior.. My question is does the tray that the battery sits on come off of the resevior? and how do i get that line out of the resevior so i can fix the leak?
Old 04-02-2010, 11:06 AM
On The Tree

Anyone have any ideas? Supposed to go to the track tonight and I won't be able to with a coolant leak, unless I just drain the resevior and run like that
Old 04-02-2010, 11:25 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Take the battery out, then you'll see one extra bolt that holds that tray to the frame. Take them out and the tray with the reservoir comes out in one piece, its part of the reservoir. If I were you I would do what I did....go buy some 3/8" heater hose and replace that line. It gets old and mushy.

You will see a metal line that goes into the reservoir that the rubber line attaches to. That metal line pulls out of the reservoir. Its held in by a rubber grommet in the reservoir. Just take the old rubber hose off and clamp the new heater hose onto it.

While its out...clean the reservoir out real good.

Also...if you're getting coolant going through the line....you may want to also spend the $3.00-$8.00 and get a new radiator cap while you're at it. I actually had the Stant cap with the relief valve on it, it was like $3.50 and it lasted 6 years. I just got a new one recently.

Last edited by LS6427; 04-02-2010 at 11:31 AM.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:17 PM
On The Tree

i messed with it a little more, and its not coming from that rubber hose that goes to to the radiator. It looks like its just coming up through that grommet where the metal line feeds into the reservior. Where can i get another one of those grommets, is that something that autozone will carry?

Other then that while i was messing with that coolant leak and changing plugs, i happened to notice a very very small oil leak from the front of the motor, right around the oil pan. So i get my wrench and found about 3 bolts around the oil pan that were loose, also the drain plug for the oil pan was loose (I haven't even changed the oil in the car yet) I bought the car in January and the guy i bought it from said the oil was just changed and didn't even have 1k miles on it, i checked the oil and it came out clean on the dip stick so i haven't worried about it.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:16 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Tx98Formula
i messed with it a little more, and its not coming from that rubber hose that goes to to the radiator. It looks like its just coming up through that grommet where the metal line feeds into the reservior. Where can i get another one of those grommets, is that something that autozone will carry?

Other then that while i was messing with that coolant leak and changing plugs, i happened to notice a very very small oil leak from the front of the motor, right around the oil pan. So i get my wrench and found about 3 bolts around the oil pan that were loose, also the drain plug for the oil pan was loose (I haven't even changed the oil in the car yet) I bought the car in January and the guy i bought it from said the oil was just changed and didn't even have 1k miles on it, i checked the oil and it came out clean on the dip stick so i haven't worried about it.
Thats a good question, don't know if anyone has that exact grommet, but maybe. They do have a wide variety of grommets at the auto parts stores. If you can't find a grommet you could take the metal line out, wrap it with electrical tape a couple layers thick and stick it back in. That should stop the leak because the reservoir is never under any pressure. Or you could silicone the entire area. It can always be taken off later.
If you have a good radiator cap, you should never get any coolant going into the reservoir. My reservoir stayed 100% dry for like 9 years until my radiator cap needed to be replaced and coolant started going in there last year.

I also take a ratchet every year or so and go over all the external bolts on the oil pan and elsewhere, every once in awhile there are some loose bolts. Over time thats just whats happens. Hopefully you got the oil leak.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:43 AM
On The Tree

I'll try changing that radiator cap and see if that helps at all, and i'll also through some silicone around that metal line going into the grommet. Hopefully that will stop the leak, Thanks for advise!

Also i just bought the car in January, took some time to get it running right since it had all kinds of electrical issues going on. The guy i bought it from had told me the person he bought it from had swapped out the motor with another 98 LS1, just looking under the hood you can see a few short cuts he took which worried me (running different grounds and such for the coil pack harness). Just worries me with what else he might of taken short cuts on.

Quick Reply: Coolant Leak