Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Time for rebuild?

Old 04-03-2010, 01:13 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time for rebuild?

Well, ever since I bought my car it would pop out of 2nd on occasion but very rarely and only while I let out on the clutch while I was turning. Tonight, I was driving and started noticing a noise. Kind of like a grinding, but only while I was rolling in first. Clutch position didn't seem to change the noise. When I would hit bumps or brake suddenly is when the noise would appear. Then, it started getting hard to shift in to 2nd. It would grind sometimes but others it would just take a little more force than normal to get it in gear. Toward the very end of the night, it was starting to do it in 4th even. It doesn't do these symptoms all the time but it did each one a couple times tonight while delivery driving from 5-12. I was thinking about rebuilding it eventually anyway, but was hoping to save up first. Do you guys thing it'd be best to rebuild now? If I did, would the tick level 2 rebuild kit have everything I needed? If I pull the tranny I'm going to change the clutch, slave cylinder and master cylinder too while I'm at it. Is there anything else to look into getting? Thanks guys.

Edit: Also, what kind of clutch you guys recommend? I was looking at either a Monster level 2 or 3. For now, I just have bolt ons. Eventually maybe a cam and heads, but I don't plan on anything drastic so I was thinking the Level 2 would be fine for more, but is monster a good clutch? Any others that would be better?

Last edited by sxracerb25; 04-03-2010 at 01:57 AM.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:23 PM
10 Second Club

Anyone? Any tips?
Old 04-03-2010, 08:40 PM
Banned

From my experience, I would recommend doing it now. You will save your self money and headaches if you do it right away.
Old 04-04-2010, 01:09 AM
10 Second Club

Yea that's kinda what I figured. So is there anything I'll need besides the Tick Level 2 rebuild kit?
Old 04-04-2010, 09:27 PM
Banned

My best advice is to take it out and open it up first. Inspect all the gears and synchros and order just what you need. Tick Stage II is nice but why buy a kit if you don't know if you will use all the parts or not.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:07 AM
10 Second Club

My reasoning for the Rebuild kit is just so I know all the parts are good and shouldn't need replacing for a long time. I'd hate to take it out and change what looks worn then put it all back together to have something else go out a few months or even up to a year down the road. I don't know much about transmissions, so I'm going to have my bro-in-law's friend help me. He works at a transmission shop.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:35 AM
TECH Regular

My advice; take it or leave it; take out your trans and ship it off to Tick. For the extra couple hundred dollars, you get all your new parts, installed plus a warranty by the guys that make the rebuild kits anyhow. Not to mention the piece of mind that your transmission is now rebuilt by professionals that work mainly on GMs 6 speed manual transmissions.

Search this Thread