Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need some help lid maf question

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 03:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some help lid maf question

Hey everyone spring is here and getting my baby back on the road and would like to add some more ponies to her. I am looking at getting a new lid to help her breath and was wondering what was best. Now before everyone start s yelling at me to use the search button for the many "best lid" threads out there my question is slightly different. I have an a4 98 z28 and heard that i have a small stock maf. I was wondering if it was worth it to get a new larger maf first so that i could get a larger lid or just use my stock maf and go with a new lid that will fit it. Any real hp gains from a new bigger maf aka is it really worth the money or is it better spent else where?
Old 04-03-2010, 03:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would not waste my money on a larger MAF. I think (not sure) but if you put a larger maf that you will need a tune to make your car run correctly. A lid there a very many options. You can't go wrong with any of them really SLP, MTI, whisper among many others. Also a smooth bellow may help there are many different opinions on whether a smooth bellow actually helps. IMO it can't hurt and it gives a "cleaner" look under the hood than a stock achordian (sp) piece.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SoWazIt2You
Hey everyone spring is here and getting my baby back on the road and would like to add some more ponies to her. I am looking at getting a new lid to help her breath and was wondering what was best. Now before everyone start s yelling at me to use the search button for the many "best lid" threads out there my question is slightly different. I have an a4 98 z28 and heard that i have a small stock maf. I was wondering if it was worth it to get a new larger maf first so that i could get a larger lid or just use my stock maf and go with a new lid that will fit it. Any real hp gains from a new bigger maf aka is it really worth the money or is it better spent else where?
well as far as lids goes you better off either going with one you like or depending on how much your going to do to your car the biggest one you can find. skip the filter for now. did you look into the free mods? as far as a maf 85mm will work. you can usually all of these either here on the classifieds or ebay for a fraction of what you would pay new. spend that "NEW" part money on.... Headers w/ a y pipe or TB 85mm or a used LS6 intake or all of it this is where I have started, however I have got bbk for most of my stuff.
Old 04-03-2010, 04:25 PM
On The Tree

ok sounds good. i really like the look of the clear lid w/ smooth bellow my friend had one on his ta. yea i took care of the free mods already, tb bypass, free ram air, so forth. so think im just going to get the MTI Store Clear lid for now, and try to snag a ls6 intake from my friends yard.
Old 04-03-2010, 04:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BigBirdLS1
I would not waste my money on a larger MAF. I think (not sure) but if you put a larger maf that you will need a tune to make your car run correctly. A lid there a very many options. You can't go wrong with any of them really SLP, MTI, whisper among many others. Also a smooth bellow may help there are many different opinions on whether a smooth bellow actually helps. IMO it can't hurt and it gives a "cleaner" look under the hood than a stock achordian (sp) piece.
the bellows go to your local plastics shop with your new pieces and get hose from them you will need to cut for proper fit and angel. a tight fit is a good fit. this is what I did cost me $12. vs 35 for a used one on here.
Old 04-03-2010, 04:27 PM
Staging Lane

what are these free mods you speak of?
Old 04-03-2010, 04:28 PM
Staging Lane

so basically, all the aftermarket lids will give you about the same power increase?
Old 04-03-2010, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SoWazIt2You
ok sounds good. i really like the look of the clear lid w/ smooth bellow my friend had one on his ta. yea i took care of the free mods already, tb bypass, free ram air, so forth. so think im just going to get the MTI Store Clear lid for now, and try to snag a ls6 intake from my friends yard.
Remember to check here on the parts classifieds and ebay.
Old 04-03-2010, 04:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LirvA
what are these free mods you speak of?
http://ls1howto.com/
some are free others will cost you minimal and some you need to buy parts.

Originally Posted by LirvA
so basically, all the aftermarket lids will give you about the same power increase?
yes
Old 04-03-2010, 05:29 PM
Staging Lane

thank you!
Old 04-03-2010, 11:08 PM
On The Tree

Talking

yea those free mods are pretty cool. for a couple of bucks and an afternoons worth of time for some double digit hp increases its not bad at all. i used this site for my write-ups on them.
http://www.installuniversity.com/lsx...documents.html
yea i gotta keep checking those classifieds
ls1 on a budget is not impossible but pretty hard to do.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:28 AM
Launching!

I have a Whisper lid and I like it alright. You can go to lowes and pick up a FERNCO rubber hose connector. Can't remember what its called. But I used that on my car. It only costs like six bucks. Definitely cheaper than an slp smooth bellows. But don't expect too much of a gain. More for looks.
Old 04-04-2010, 01:06 PM
On The Tree

yea i heard not to bother with the smooth bellow to just get some rubber hose connection. ps if anyone has a clear lid f.s. i might be interested.
Old 04-04-2010, 01:31 PM
Teching In

i like the slp lid.