California Smog Law Under Assault in Poor Economy

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 10:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Talking California Smog Law Under Assault in Poor Economy

Sounds like good news to me!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100404/...e_law_backlash

By SAMANTHA YOUNG, Associated Press Writer Samantha Young, Associated Press Writer – Sun Apr 4, 3:02 pm ET
SACRAMENTO, Calif. – Four years ago, California earned accolades for adopting a law that would slash its greenhouse gas emissions and serve as a model for national climate change legislation.

With the state mired in a crippling recession, the law that once looked like a landmark achievement is coming under assault. The regulatory effort Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger set in motion is facing a political backlash and could come to an abrupt halt in the months ahead.

A coalition of businesses, financed largely by three Texas oil companies, is funding a ballot petition that would delay the law until California's current unemployment rate is cut by more than half.

Leading Republican gubernatorial candidate Meg Whitman has vowed she would suspend the law on her first day in office, which she would have the authority to do.

Even Schwarzenegger, who has staked his legacy on environmental issues, has begun urging air regulators to take a go-slow approach. But he has vowed to fight the ballot initiative.

The possibility that a state that has set the national agenda on environmental change for decades might shelve its highly publicized climate regulations could have ramifications beyond California's borders. In Congress, lawmakers are struggling to craft a national climate bill that uses California's as a template, but are facing headwinds of their own.

"This could very well be an effort to focus on California with the goal of delaying federal legislation," said state Sen. Fran Pavley, D-Agoura Hills, one of the law's authors.

At issue: Whether imposing costly regulations on businesses is a smart move as the nation struggles to emerge from recession.

Under the measure, oil refineries, manufacturers, cement plants, utilities and other carbon polluters are to begin cutting their emissions in 2012.

It is the first economy-wide cap on emissions in the nation, obligating California to reduce greenhouse gas emissions to 1990 levels by 2020, about 30 percent from the levels projected if there were no climate regulations.

Oil companies have long opposed California's climate law.

The ballot petition is expected to qualify for the November ballot, with taxpayer groups, businesses and oil companies contributing nearly $1 million so far to get signature gatherers on the streets.

The bulk of that money has come from Texas-based oil companies. Valero Services Inc. of San Antonio, has given $500,000. Tesoro Companies of San Antonio and World Oil Corp. of Houston have given $100,000 a piece.

Petition backers say California cannot afford to impose environmental regulations that would raise utility bills, fuel prices and cost jobs. Republican lawmakers say the law gives companies another reason to flee California or locate elsewhere when they decide to expand.

That may be an appealing message to voters who are frustrated with high unemployment, continuing home foreclosures and an ongoing state budget crisis that has forced deep cuts to social services, public schools and higher education.

"We need to try to heal our economy before we travel a road we've never traveled before," said state Assemblyman Dan Logue, R-Linda, one of the initiative's sponsors. "Since this is going to have such a huge effect on every person of California, what's wrong with the public being able to weigh in and decide if this is what they want?"

The global warming law also is a target of both Republican candidates seeking to replace Schwarzenegger, who is termed out of office after this year.

Whitman, former CEO of eBay, intends to trigger a so-called "safety valve" in the law that allows a governor to suspend climate regulations in "extraordinary circumstances, catastrophic events, or threat of significant economic harm." Ironically, it was a provision Schwarzenegger demanded on behalf of business interests at the time he was negotiating the bill with Democrats in 2006.

"Let's take stock of where we are. Let's understand what our alternatives are," Whitman said during a March debate in Orange County.

Her opponent in the GOP primary, state Insurance Commissioner Steve Poizner, said suspending the law for just a year isn't enough. He supports Logue's initiative to delay climate regulations until California's 12.5 percent unemployment rate drops to 5.5 percent and stays there for a year.

Both candidates cite a much disputed study by the dean of the business school at California State University, Sacramento, which concludes the law could cost 1.1 million jobs.

That study, which also is a key element of the initiative campaign, has been discredited by the state's nonpartisan legislative analyst.

The California Air Resources Board, the entity charged with implementing the law, estimates climate regulations will promote investments in clean energy and will reduce California's overall fuel expenses $3.8 billion by 2020.

Yet it also could lead to higher energy prices because utilities and oil and gas companies are among California's top carbon emitters.

Valero spokesman Bill Day said the initiative gives California voters a "chance to delay the detrimental economic effects" of the climate regulations, which are slated to go into effect in 2012.

Valero has more than 1,600 employees in the state and has a vested interest in keeping California's economy strong, Day said in an e-mail to The Associated Press.

The state's dismal economy — hit by the nationwide foreclosure crisis and bank failures — also has given Schwarzenegger pause.

He has urged regulators to tread cautiously as they write the rules to oversee a carbon market in California for the companies that will be asked to cut their emissions.

In a March 24 letter to the California Air Resources Board, the governor suggested the state initially give away carbon credits as a way to avoid high costs to regulated industries. That idea has been criticized by environmentalists, who argue that oil companies, cement plants and other polluters ought to pay to cut their emissions.

Nevertheless, Schwarzenegger has ruled out any call to suspend the law, the centerpiece of his environmental legacy.

"I think that the California people are outraged about the fact that Texas oil companies ... are coming to California and trying to change laws and policies in California," Schwarzenegger told reporters recently, after touring an exposition of Sacramento-area businesses considered environmentally friendly.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:04 PM
10 Second Club

Angry

This is another reason to Vote Out the LIBERALS, there behind all this Crap!!!!
Old 04-04-2010, 11:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ahh cutting AB-32, gotta love it.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so Arnold is an environmental nut?

these pics say he's a hypocrite

Old 04-04-2010, 11:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by geovett
amen to that,

on another note i tend not to get my hopes up about anything political anymore just because of the nature of the business.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop
so Arnold is an environmental nut?

these pics say he's a hypocrite

What's wrong with a biodiesel hummer? I think its preety cool, I wonder if its a 6.5 or a duramax swap
Old 04-05-2010, 01:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by lowerthanyou00
What's wrong with a biodiesel hummer? I think its preety cool, I wonder if its a 6.5 or a duramax swap
i didn't realize it was biodiesel. still it's an H1, the biggest gas guzzling least environmentally friendly vehicle on the road.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:16 AM
TECH Junkie

i was about to say... that hummer say "vege oil"
Old 04-05-2010, 02:17 AM
TECH Junkie

I'll admit, I didn't read the whole article... tooooooo damn long

but from what I read, it said they are trying to get rid of the emissions requirements, at least till the economy gets back into order...

is that not good news?
Old 04-05-2010, 03:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arnold is a Republican
"The regulatory effort Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger set in motion "

So what liberal is behind all this crap?
oh, the Republican governor
Old 04-05-2010, 10:04 AM
TECH Addict

^ I'm not even going to respond to that...

But god bless the texas oil companies!!
Old 04-05-2010, 10:19 AM
TECH Addict

i didn't realize it was biodiesel. still it's an H1, the biggest gas guzzling least environmentally friendly vehicle on the road.
you're an idiot. you know nothing about diesel H1s. Your whole post contradicted itself. shutup.

Last edited by SIK02SS; 04-05-2010 at 10:54 AM.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:29 AM
Teching In

It gets better mileage than your LT1
Old 04-05-2010, 10:29 AM
Teching In

failtop strikes again
Old 04-05-2010, 10:37 AM
Teching In

I dont know you... but this seems to fit you to the T.

Oh yeah and i've been a lurker here for 4 years and your level of "WHAT THE F!@K IS WRONG WITH YOU" has brought me to post. Good work.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:54 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Wink

Originally Posted by SIK02SS
you're an idiot. you know nothing about diesel H1s. You're whole post contradicted itself. shutup.
your.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:54 AM
TECH Addict

good catch
Old 04-05-2010, 11:16 AM
Teching In

the rAtard still posts?
Old 04-05-2010, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

jmd, he had it right. "you are an idiot" not "your an idiot"
Old 04-05-2010, 11:21 AM
TECH Junkie

it's still an H1. it was meant to represent that the H1 is one of the most polluting gas guzzling vehicles on the road. So that one isn't as bad as the other 10 or however many he owns. that doesn't mean that the other 9 aren't bad polluters.

and where the hell did all these idiot LS2 ************* come from anyway? did your precious site go down again? quit trying to cause drama over here? go back to your LS2 soap opera!

[/rant]

Quick Reply: California Smog Law Under Assault in Poor Economy