Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

****VIDEO**** - Clutch SQUEAL Noise...

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 06:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Arrow ****VIDEO**** - Clutch SQUEAL Noise...

So, I've talked to a few people and they say that "puck" designed clutches sqeal or make noise by nature... nobody has heard my car, and they just say this by what I describe to them. So I finally got a video together tonight when I was leaving my work (I work graveyards). Started the car up from cold, let it warm up for about 5-10 minutes then hit record on the video camera...

So guys tell me if this is normal or not... the car seems to perform fine and the clutch works fine as well. I have no issues really, except for this loud *** annoying noise coming from feathering engagement into first gear... It's REALLY EMBARRASSING!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfJsgZVQN7Q
Old 04-05-2010, 08:37 AM
11 Second Club

My buddies Vette made a similar noise/chatter. Some clutches just make noise from my understanding.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:32 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try not feathering the gas. Just take off with a little bit of gas and let out the clutch. Maybe that will help?!
Old 04-05-2010, 12:40 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats the normal puck noise i hear from cars.... although yours is on the loud side.... unfornuately it appears that the material that centerforce uses on the DFX puck disc is pretty aggressive... if the car drives good i wouldnt worry about it unless you want to spend some cash and replace the clutch..... if the noise gets worse then that i suggest a teardown to see whats going on
Old 04-05-2010, 04:16 PM
TECH Junkie

hmmm thanks guys, that makes me feel a little better. I just needed a video so everyone could see and confirm what I've been told. I just couldn't comprehend that this would be "normal" for a clutch to do

Ryne, I'll probably eventually spring for one of those Monster Clutches at some point... it's rough seeing as it'll be like my 6th or 7th clutch swap. It's getting old trying to find the right one. Glad you chimed in to ease my nerves on this particular noise...
Old 04-05-2010, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

isnt this like your 8th clutch that you are having problems with, i remember you saying on another thread that you are on your 3rd transmission and like 5th clutch or something crazy like that, you will get a good one some day, maybe.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 180ls1
isnt this like your 8th clutch that you are having problems with, i remember you saying on another thread that you are on your 3rd transmission and like 5th clutch or something crazy like that, you will get a good one some day, maybe.
YES!

that's what's sooooo damn aggravating about it... I don't wanna know how much money I've spent on the labor alone in the R&R of the clutches and tranny. I've tried cheap clutches and I've tried $1500 setups... The car NEVER sees the track, and I drive it pretty damn conservatively. So I don't know where I'm going wrong.

I guess just the nature of the beast...
Old 04-05-2010, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

That thing is LOUD! I bet its annoying.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:33 PM
Staging Lane

My car does the same thing, have a spec 3. Took the tranny down to check if anything was wrong, everything looks and works good. Now I know I'm not the only one.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by nealws6
Now I know I'm not the only one.
likewise
Old 04-05-2010, 10:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

@ your non-stop clutch issues. Get an auto.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by MosesMcgregor
@ your non-stop clutch issues. Get an auto.
trust me... it's crossed my mind. Hell the conversion would have been cheaper by now!
Old 04-05-2010, 11:18 PM
Staging Lane

Yea your clutch noise
Old 04-06-2010, 03:38 AM
TECH Addict

sounds like your squeezing a rodent inside your bellhousing... although on my old C5 vette that same noise told me something was wrong with the clutch since, to me, no clutch should sound like that. I tore it down and saw the clutch was shot and replaced it with OEM stock one and the noise was gone.

that's a lot of clutch/transmission work/swaps and would have figured you would have gotten it right by now. but to me that's the sign of a bad clutch, but if it grabs and doesn't slip I guess your good
Old 04-06-2010, 03:57 AM
TECH Junkie

yea.. the only thing slipping right now are my tires
Old 04-07-2010, 10:22 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
YES!

that's what's sooooo damn aggravating about it... I don't wanna know how much money I've spent on the labor alone in the R&R of the clutches and tranny. I've tried cheap clutches and I've tried $1500 setups... The car NEVER sees the track, and I drive it pretty damn conservatively. So I don't know where I'm going wrong.

I guess just the nature of the beast...
Just get a Textralia or Monster stage 3+ and a Tick adj MS and never worry about it again. I had multiple problems with my clutch/tranny until I rebuilt the tranny and got the Monster stage 3 which is basiclly the same thing as a tex. I havnt had a problem since and i beat on it quite a bit. I'm always clutching the car at 5k+ and still have yet to have a problem. I have a bunch of track passes on it.

My clutch squels a little bit when the clutch is cold and I take off slowely through 1st. Once ingaged it is fine and doesnt squel once it is warmed up.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:32 PM
TECH Resident

My textralia made the same noise until I took it to the track and launched off the limiter on slicks. Then it was nice and quiet.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:04 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Jimmard
My textralia made the same noise until I took it to the track and launched off the limiter on slicks. Then it was nice and quiet.
So why is that? Just currious, because my clutch was making alot of noise after it was installed. They did a crappy job of bleeding it so I was never really able to get on it. After I bled the **** out of it, it works great and I am now able to really get on it. A couple of days ago I noticed that it's pretty quiet also..... I didn't think the bleeding had anything to do with it... WTF
Old 04-07-2010, 03:08 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Skidog5150
So why is that? Just currious, because my clutch was making alot of noise after it was installed. They did a crappy job of bleeding it so I was never really able to get on it. After I bled the **** out of it, it works great and I am now able to really get on it. A couple of days ago I noticed that it's pretty quiet also..... I didn't think the bleeding had anything to do with it... WTF
I think it just has to do with how the clutch is used. If you're going to slip it a lot at low rpm cruising, its going to squeel, just as mine does if I drive it that way. If I drive it somewhat aggressive, as it was designed to be driven, it doesn't squeel. Just dont slip it as much and take off more aggressively. I've had 2 textralia clutches and they have both been the same way so I just adjusted my driving.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Skidog5150
he obviously made the clutch his bitch, so it STFU.. haha

Quick Reply: ****VIDEO**** - Clutch SQUEAL Noise...