General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

WTF is up with my A/C????

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 08:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default WTF is up with my A/C????

OK..... So the A/C works great for an hour or two (varies) and then just about stops blowing???? No matter what fan setting air just barely moves out of the vent. I will turn it off for a few and it will work great and then problem repeat itself..... I never have checked under the hood to see if anything is frozen up because I hate stopping on trips but I will do that next time....

Any ideas though???
Old 04-05-2010, 08:41 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does it quit blowing air at all? Or does it just quit blowing cold?
Old 04-05-2010, 08:42 AM
TECH Addict

You have a small vacuum leak allowing the air box doors to drift. Until you have a chance to go looking, try cycling the A/C control to get the doors back to the correct positions. Same thing happens to me with my S-10.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:26 AM
On The Tree

Do the dash vent blow fine?
Old 04-05-2010, 01:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah the air just quits blowing regardless of the fan speed and it warms up too....... Tried cycling the A/C **** on/off but to get it working have to just leave it off a while....
Old 04-05-2010, 02:20 PM
TECH Addict

I just had another thought....have you checked that your evaporator drain line is clear? You may be iceing up, which would explain why it takes a couple hours to start working again.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by fleetmgr
I just had another thought....have you checked that your evaporator drain line is clear? You may be iceing up, which would explain why it takes a couple hours to start working again.

Thanks!!

I will check it next time it does it. The car is not my DD so I usually just use it on weekends when I go out of town and then I don't wanna pull over to check under the hood. And when I play at the strip no A/C so I really haven't looked into it much.....
Old 04-05-2010, 07:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
Thanks!!

I will check it next time it does it. The car is not my DD so I usually just use it on weekends when I go out of town and then I don't wanna pull over to check under the hood. And when I play at the strip no A/C so I really haven't looked into it much.....
You probably want to check before then. If that is what's happening, all that water is just sitting in the box. Mold, mildew and stench are soon to follow.