Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Rear View Mirror

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 11:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Rear View Mirror

If I cut the Dark Blue wire to my rear view mirror would this?

1- disable the lights when I unlock the doors

2- Still allow me to use the lights manually, using the switches on the Mirror.

Thank You for any help.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They won't work at all, the dark blue/white wire supplies voltage to the lights. (fbody)
Attached Thumbnails Rear View Mirror-768772.gif  
Old 04-05-2010, 03:23 PM
TECH Addict

OK I have the same picture in my manual that is why I asked the question. There seems to be 2 wires that are hot, the dark Blue and the White. The white goes back to the dark blue, the black is the ground. What i'm thinking is that if I cut the dark blue then the actual switch will work of of the white and the black. Then i can use the dark blue and break into the black to power other lighting. Am I not correct in my thinking? Thank you for your reply.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:40 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

No, the white wire is not power, it's the courtesy lamp return (essentially a controlled ground). The BCM controls the on/off condition and theater fading of the courtesy lights by varying the ground available through the white wire. The dark blue with white wire provides power to the lights at all times except after the battery saver circuit shuts it off to prevent draining the battery if you leave a door open or the map lights on. The black wire goes straight to ground but is only connected on the map light switch. That allows the map lights to work regardless of courtesy lights.

If you disconnected the white wire, the map lights would work but the courtesy lights wouldn't.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:05 PM
TECH Addict

OK I'm getting closer. So I can disconnect the white wire from the mirror and still have switch function on the mirror,so I can manually turn the mirror lights on. Then I can connect the white wire and break into the dark blue wire to hook up alternative courtesy lighting. Is this Good
Old 04-05-2010, 11:55 PM
TECH Addict

^ up please
Old 04-06-2010, 07:22 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1121
OK I'm getting closer. So I can disconnect the white wire from the mirror and still have switch function on the mirror,so I can manually turn the mirror lights on. Then I can connect the white wire and break into the dark blue wire to hook up alternative courtesy lighting. Is this Good
Yes, if you disconnect the white wire at the mirror, the manual map lights will still work but the courtesy lights won't. If you want to add alternative courtesy lights then using the dark blue with white wire for power and the white wire for ground will make them work just like the factory courtesy lights... including the theater dimming (which doesn't work particularly well with LEDs).
Old 04-06-2010, 09:36 AM
TECH Addict

Thanx, that is what I was thinking. I'm thinking about installing 2 light bulbs of a color Red maybe under the dash in the front. One on each side and led's for under the seats.

I have a 2007 Civic that I used LED lighting, it was easier because the civic has a switch where I can just turn off the lights on th mirror and use them manually.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:38 PM
TECH Addict

Well I finally installed my Red LED's for my Courtesy lighting under the dash in the front and behind the front seats. WhiteBird from my reading i think the problem some people are having with the Led's not going out completely is because they are trying to replace ALL their bulbs with led's. I left one bulb in the Dome Light and just painted over the bulb and my led's are working great. They are fading out just like normal and all is well. Thanx for all your help guy's.

Quick Reply: Rear View Mirror