Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Bad motor mount?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 01:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad motor mount?

My wife has been noticing a more pronounced shaking at idle. I notice it too. We left it with the local dealer last week since we have the GM Major Guard ext. warranty. They drive it and inspect it (no codes) and say all is well and the rough idle is mormal for the LS6. Well duh. I advised the service manager that she's been daily driving the car for the last couple of years/35K miles and is quite aware of the LS6s rougher idle. Same response
We reluctantly take the car back. Friday night I put the car on ramps to take a look and notice dark brown stains on the oil pain. They look to be coming from around the driver's side motor mount. It looks like coffee stains or really dirty motor oil. The stains are dry and it appears that the leak has stopped.
Is it safe to assume the mount has gone bad and has lost its fluid or is there something else that could be the source of the problem?

-Dan
Old 04-05-2010, 02:04 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah that would be a failed mount. Usually the top of the mount fails and pukes the fluid out and then it stains the side of the engine.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:38 PM
Staging Lane

Stupid dealers
Old 04-05-2010, 05:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a bad motor mount to me too.

I ended up replacing mine with UUC. My passenger side was blown, but the drivers side had been replaced by factory about 3k miles before. If you end up going the route of replacing it on you own, I'll send you my extra one. Just pay shipping. (Pay it forward)

Here is the link to my install, and should have pics of the broken and "used like new" mount.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...-feedback.html

-Chris

Last edited by white2001formula; 04-05-2010 at 05:10 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is there a more pronounced diesel shutdown? Thats where youc an really unmistakenly tell if the mount is bad.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by white2001formula

I ended up replacing mine with UUC. My passenger side was blown, but the drivers side had been replaced by factory about 3k miles before. If you end up going the route of replacing it on you own, I'll send you my extra one. Just pay shipping. (Pay it forward)

Here is the link to my install, and should have pics of the broken and "used like new" mount.

-Chris
Chris, that is cool of you to offer that to us Let me see what happens with this dealer.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:07 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the input guys. Here's what it looked like before it went back to the dealer today:

I called and talked to the same service manager today to advise him of what I found under the car. I also asked him if they noticed this when they were working on it. He said one of the mounts had been replaced by GM before. I told him that it wasn't done during the time we've owned it (2 years) and mentioned that I change the oil and didn't notice the stains the last time I was under there. My wife takes it back in today to let them see the stains and they tell her it's just residue from when the last mount went bad. They cleaned the stains and said let's see if they come back. Uhhh well, the mount is probably as dry as a bone now.
Do y'all think there's any more fluid in there? I can do some autox type maneuvers in a parking lot to try to coerce more of it out.
I feel like I've wasted $2,200 on the GM extended warranty
I'm seriously considering just cashing out the balance of the warranty.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:11 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah thats mounts and most likely you wont see anymore fluid because there is no more left in there! If you changed the oil and those stains weren't there and now they are, the dealer needs to replace those. Thats bull **** that they are bucking over this.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Man, more I read I cant believe how different dealers are about warranty work. I have never had a dealer question anything I have taken my car back for(rear, NAV unit, motor mounts, steering bushing, sunroof) glad to have a dealer that is willing to help the customer and I didnt have to pay extra for the extended warranty since it was CPO.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Z06phile
Chris, that is cool of you to offer that to us Let me see what happens with this dealer.
No problem at all. It's just sitting by my computer looking at me.

Good luck with the dealer,
Chris
Old 04-06-2010, 10:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Hmmm... wonder if mine are bad. I dont have any of the staining but i can physically shake the motor with my hand on the TB under the hood. Not a lot but prob more than you should be able to. It also has that diesel truck feel when i shut it down and i can feel it at idle but no more than any other V ive been in. We looked under the car when we did my shifter at A-Bombs and were surprised that the mounts were still in good shape.

Can they look good and be bad?
Old 04-06-2010, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

easy way to tell..get on the gas till about 4k and let of the pedal..youll feel the motor slam back down..mount for sure.. i just put my headers and mounts in last night and both my mount were shot to hell...like dusty hell! but just looking at em from underneath youd never tell by the way.. C.S polly grey mounts and tranny mount is the shizzle!!
Old 04-06-2010, 05:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Hmm... guess mine could still be bad then even though they look good. Ill try your test tonight... lol
Old 04-06-2010, 07:40 PM
On The Tree

-Chris
I'd like to see the install, but the picture links appear to be broken...
Old 04-07-2010, 01:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

its also easy to tell if it has started shaking harder when turing the car off.

My best suggestion... try a different dealer. I found one that doesnt ask any questions... if they can cover it they do.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Man, more I read I cant believe how different dealers are about warranty work. I have never had a dealer question anything I have taken my car back for(rear, NAV unit, motor mounts, steering bushing, sunroof) glad to have a dealer that is willing to help the customer and I didnt have to pay extra for the extended warranty since it was CPO.
I might understand if we were chronic complainers, but this is the first time the car has been to a dealer since we bought it (2 years). We had a laundry list of nit-picking problems when we originally took it in the other day and only one was repaired.
*Flickering driver's side headlight
*Sunroof switch intermittently working
*Radio presets get lost when changing from fob 1 to fob 2
*Trunk strut came lose and struck the car just under the back glass. This is the one thing they repaired. The replacement cost less than the $100 deductible, so we just paid for it.

They said all of the electrical/ infotainment issues were possibly due to the battery being bad. They had to jump start the car after it sat there overnight. When my wife went to pick the car up, she noticed the interior lights were left on. We're still using the "bad" battery and it's been 2 weeks since he said it needed to be replaced.

They cleaned the mess under the car the other day and said to return in 10 days to see if anything shows up. I'm gonna do some 1g plus maneuvers in a big parking lot to see if there's any fluid left in the mount. Apparently they don't know how to check a mount, so I must do their job for them. Hopefully the rear diff will take the abuse I'm gonna be throwing at it.
Stay tuned...
Old 04-07-2010, 04:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Tried the test... doesnt seem to be bad to me that i can tell...
Old 04-07-2010, 04:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Key fob's 1 and 2 will load each user's preference. i.e. Display name, radio stations, and seat settings. If it is completely loosing the channels, I could understand. However, that seems like a factory like option.

Headlight seems like a valid reason for waranty. I've heard of Sunroof switches going out too. Their is a writeup on cadillacfaq.com for that specific reason for those rainy days and the switch doesn't work.

Really shitty what they are doing. They refused to change my mounts, saying it was normal. I ended up changing mine to UUC because of the same reason (mentioned above) and it fucked me in the end. They wouldn't honor a warranty about 8 months later for an issue with my steering gear/K-member. You can view my older thread on it.

Keep us posted,
Chris
Old 04-07-2010, 04:45 PM
Staging Lane

Key fob's 1 and 2 will load each user's preference. i.e. Display name, radio stations, and seat settings. If it is completely loosing the channels, I could understand. However, that seems like a factory like option.

Headlight seems like a valid reason for waranty. I've heard of Sunroof switches going out too. Their is a writeup on cadillacfaq.com for that specific reason for those rainy days and the switch doesn't work.

Really shitty what they are doing. They refused to change my mounts, saying it was normal. I ended up changing mine to UUC because of the same reason (mentioned above) and it fucked me in the end. They wouldn't honor a warranty about 8 months later for an issue with my steering gear/K-member. You can view my older thread on it.

Keep us posted,
Chris
Let me clarify what the radio is doing. When you switch driver settings via the fob or the button on the door, the radio preset button labels carry over, but they'll actually be the other driver's channels. The rest (seat & HVAC) are fine. The NAV/radio unit was replaced by GM for the original owner years ago due to the buttons wearing.
It's crazy how much trouble it is to get warranty work done. I'm not sure what the driving force behind it is. The dealership gets paid to do the work whether it's warranty or not. I guess somebody gets a bonus for saving the manufacturer money by only fixing cars that arrive on flatbeds.
It's not just GM either. They all suck.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:58 PM
TECH Addict

The sun roof switch can be disassembled and cleaned. Mine was acting up and would open on its own. Once in the touch less car wash lol

Quick Reply: Bad motor mount?