Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keep the WS6 or buy a Z06???

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 04:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keep the WS6 or buy a Z06???

I just love my WS6, they look so mean, IMO they are one of the best looking cars out there.

BUT I just can't unleash the power on our cruddy narrow windey UK roads, even with koni shocks, I'm being run down by lighter 4 banger cars on the back roads, and it just bugs me.

I've been reading up about the Z06 (2002), and it sounds awesome and so much more suited to killing all the cars around here on the roads I drive on.

Sure, the Z06 forum guys tell me the Z06 rules, especially around a track,
BUT to be honest I think the Z06 looks a little dull, and I'm concerned if I sell the WS6 I'll regret it.

I've had the WS6 for 5 years, and I always though I'd keep it forever, but the corner taking ability just doesn't cut it for me, so should I take the plung and sell off my beloved WS6??

Advise appreciated
Old 04-05-2010, 05:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do what I did...get an LS6 crate motor, and jazz up your WS6.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was in your shoes last year, except it wasn't for a Z06 but rather a 03 Cobra. I said the same thing as you "and I'm concerned if I sell the WS6 I'll regret it"

I think you answered your own question my man. My car isn't the fastest thing in the world by any means. But even thinking the fact that you may regret it and miss it, ill bet that you actually will.

To boot, I'd LOVE to see the looks you get from people having a WS6 in the UK!!

PS-Buy some Sam Strano springs along with his Sway Bars. Ill bet that you will notice a difference right away in the handling department.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say you keep the WS6 and do full suspension. The C5 ZO6's just don't look that good to ME anymore.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:30 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

There's no reason why you can't hop up the suspension on an F-body to keep it competitive with those "little 4 bangers." No offense but maybe a driver mod is in order as well? The fact that you probably already know that an F-body can be made to handle tells me that you just want to get into a 'Vette, which no one can fault you for, as many regard that car as the "ultimate" American performance car (even though I certainly don't).

Take a test drive in one if you can and then think it over...
Old 04-05-2010, 05:34 PM
TECH Resident

Appreciate the honest opinions, but I was hoping for some Z owners to say there's no chance I'll regret it lol!

Any of you owned/driven a Z06, and switched back to your f-body in preference?
Old 04-05-2010, 05:38 PM
TECH Resident

Take a test drive in one if you can and then think it over
Very good idea

I agree, I'm not the best driver in the world, but I can drive my 4 banger faster around the bends, and I feel the limits unlike in my WS6, it just not confidence inspireing

Last edited by taws6; 04-05-2010 at 05:46 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by taws6
Very good idea

I agree, I'm not the best driver in the world, but I can drive my 4 banger faster around the bends, and I feel the limits unlike in my WS6, it just not confidence inspireing
You may want to play with the shock settings and tire pressure (what tires are you running as well?), plus the A4 isn't helping any. And continuing to mod the suspension will definitely improve the handling/grip/feel of the car. Good springs and swaybars will step the car up quite a bit.
Here is Sam himself:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...day-video.html
^ Pretty simple bolt on suspension parts + good tires...
A Z06 is no doubt an all around better car, and I will more than likely own one at some time, but I will miss the WS6...
Old 04-05-2010, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your Koni's/sways/springs/TA/LCA's (rod or roto ended)/watts link will make the car a different animal, along with good tires will make a big impact
Old 04-05-2010, 06:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

you can make these cars handle well. shocks and tires make a big difference.

z06s are great cars though. great combo of power looks and handling.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What are you guys talking about?

If performance is the priority, go for the Z06.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:12 PM
TECH Resident

I tried settings and presures.
Agreed, sways, watts link and better tires would undoubtedly be an improvement, and could make a capable car.
But A4 I can't change without a huge hassle and expence....

I always enjoy vids like that, but that type of track doesn't compare to the roads around here. We're talking 30mph hair-pins with oncomming traffic, on roads only a lane and a half wide in places....

I just feel with these roads I'm at a huge disadvantage in a 3500Lb automatic car to begin with...

I just get the impression the f-body was designed for drag racing on America's great roads, and the Z06 was designed for weaving through Europe's S bends.....

And even if I mod my (A4) WS6, it still isn't going to be nearly as suitable as a Z06, is it?

Man, I'd miss my WS6..........
Old 04-05-2010, 07:27 PM
Teching In

i,m from England myself and until you drive on the type of roads you desribe you can not believe how big and ungainly a ws6 would feel as compared to say, a mini cooper.Also I am curious as to what people think your car is in England.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nelly
Also I am curious as to what people think your car is in England.
They think it's a four-wheeled dragon.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:15 PM
Launching!

If you want to to hug turns and go ***** out through turns and hug corners get an evo or sti. If you want to desemate just about every other car on the road on a straightaway and be able to handle good as well get the z06. If you want a car that does all of that decent but not great, keep the ws6. You will always be able to look completely awesome in the process with the ws6. The trans am ws6 is hands down one of the sexiest cars know to man, imo. I love those cars soo much though I wouldn't waste the wear/tear on the car racing 4 bangers on back roads. Do what u want tho.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

I tried settings and presures.
Agreed, sways, watts link and better tires would undoubtedly be an improvement, and could make a capable car.
But A4 I can't change without a huge hassle and expence....
How "stiff" have you gone with the konis?

I always enjoy vids like that, but that type of track doesn't compare to the roads around here. We're talking 30mph hair-pins with oncomming traffic, on roads only a lane and a half wide in places....
I kinda figured it was more like that.
Forgot I had this video saved, probably much closer to your roads (plus there is an Sti in the video):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWmb3...eature=related
Though there is no getting around the these are big, long, heavier cars and for that have a disadvantage to smaller lighter cars.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:15 AM
On The Tree

over 5 years...well, a Corvette is a completly different category.
If you got the itch, I'll say go for it.

YOU WILL HAVE A LOT OF FUN
dull?
You are not looking at a the right one.
Attached Thumbnails Keep the WS6 or buy a Z06???-silverz06.jpg   Keep the WS6 or buy a Z06???-1sickz063.jpg   Keep the WS6 or buy a Z06???-480155107_bpobo-l.jpg  
Old 04-06-2010, 02:20 PM
TECH Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelly
Also I am curious as to what people think your car is in England.

They think it's a four-wheeled dragon

Konis are on midway on the fronts and near full stiff rear...

The roads aren't quiet that bendy (Great vid BTW ), but I find I start to lose them in the straights, and then I'm so hard on the breaks and slow around the blind corners they catch me up...On the plus side they can't lose me either

these are big, long, heavier cars and for that have a disadvantage to smaller lighter cars
I think that and the fact I'm in A4 really hold me back...

Thanks for your honest opinions, I guess I really need a ride in a Z06 to help make my decision
Old 04-06-2010, 04:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

KeEp the s6 they don't make em no more z06s are dime a dozen and u don't wanna look like every Dick Tom and Hairy do u?
Old 04-06-2010, 06:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Konis are on midway on the fronts and near full stiff rear...
Do you have 4th gen rears or 3rd gen rears? Regardless that sounds like a really high setting to have on the rear with stock springs.
I would try 3 turns from full hard front, and 1 turn from full soft rear (if your on the 3rd gens) or 2-3 turns from full soft if your on 4th gen rears.
What about tire pressure? I personally would start at 30psi all around and go from there, possibly bumping the front up to 32psi.
What kind of tires are you on?
edit:
Just noticed you have relocation brakets as well, those may be hurting you and could explain why you have such a high rear shock setting...
The roads aren't quiet that bendy (Great vid BTW ), but I find I start to lose them in the straights, and then I'm so hard on the breaks and slow around the blind corners they catch me up...On the plus side they can't lose me either
Forgot to ask what brake pads you were on. With better pads you won't have to brake so soon.

I think that and the fact I'm in A4 really hold me back...
It certainly isn't helping. And just me personally I would sell it for the fact its an A4, but thats just me (I hate autos).

Thanks for your honest opinions, I guess I really need a ride in a Z06 to help make my decision
This would be the best bet, ride in some different cars you like and decide what is best for you.

Quick Reply: Keep the WS6 or buy a Z06???