Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

QA1 shock/spring selection, Help needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 05:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default QA1 shock/spring selection, Help needed

I am having very bad traction issues and I have came to the conclusion that my car isn't "transfering weight". I am looking to buy a set of front shocks/springs to hopefully fix this problem. For price reasons I am wanting to go with a set of single adj QA1's. My car is a bolt-on full weight street/strip car that may or may not get nitrous in the near future. I really only drive the car to the track and around town, but I don't want it to drive like complete garbage. However I know that I will have to give up some of the ride for the performance I am looking for. So after doing some research I think I need some 300 lb/in springs. My real question comes in on the shocks. Do I need the R or F series I have had about three different answers on that? I was also told that I could not run the R series with a 300 lb/in spring, is this true? I am pretty frustrated with traction issues now I can't even decide what to buy so any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chase
Old 04-06-2010, 01:53 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Best off to go with the better quality of Strange or AFCO. Strange is the best bang for the buck, will do exactly what you need it to, and more than likely a few bucks less than the QA1's. the 300# spring is fine for your setup and is the most common. the Strange and AFCO shocks are easily adjustable and will give you a descent ride quality with great performance at the track. no need to be confused with what you do or don't need... I can get you setup with the right parts the first time and help you with setups if need be. pm or call the shop for more info... we will have the best deal on the right parts.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:46 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello Chase
Like mentioned above and as well as when we talked on the phone. For your particular application I would suggest going with the 300lb spring rate with the F Series single or double (what ever you prefer as far as adjustment) and going with the following combo you maintain a good ride quality and have superb weight transfer with the vehicle. Below is a link to show you what all UMI Performance has to offer.

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...95iuf8s9tm13s3

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...95iuf8s9tm13s3

If you have any other questions feel free to ask. And I will be more than glad to help!
Thanks
Brad
Old 04-20-2010, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Silver2000WS-6
I am having very bad traction issues and I have came to the conclusion that my car isn't "transfering weight". I am looking to buy a set of front shocks/springs to hopefully fix this problem. For price reasons I am wanting to go with a set of single adj QA1's. My car is a bolt-on full weight street/strip car that may or may not get nitrous in the near future. I really only drive the car to the track and around town, but I don't want it to drive like complete garbage. However I know that I will have to give up some of the ride for the performance I am looking for. So after doing some research I think I need some 300 lb/in springs. My real question comes in on the shocks. Do I need the R or F series I have had about three different answers on that? I was also told that I could not run the R series with a 300 lb/in spring, is this true? I am pretty frustrated with traction issues now I can't even decide what to buy so any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chase
I would also agree with either Strange or AFCO units.

For your application the Strange units would be hard to beat for the money.

Give me a call here at the office and I can give you a couple of options....
Old 04-21-2010, 06:24 AM
12 Second Club

Listen to the Guys saying strange. I had QA1s and when it was time to rebuild it was about a pain to get ahold of the shop that QA1 suggested. Strange is cheaper and is overall a better choice. A single adjustable is fine. Look into a Adjustable rear sway bar to help preload the rear and a TQ arm from one of the above sponsers.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

this is some good info , Im also looking into getting some new shocks , I have kyb and they need some replacements , Im currently looking into the strange set up , and always wondered what will be better ? .. Im probably going to be giving some of yah guys a call today and see some prices and what can I get . Thanks for OP this thread , good thing i search it before posting one just like it lol.