Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Clunking and poor traction

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 05:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Clunking and poor traction

I've been looking on here, and been looking under the car, and I can't find anything.

I've developed a clunk from the rear driver side suspension, somewhere. At first I thought it was just my aging, loosening exhaust bumping around down there, but realized that it isn't.

I checked bolts and end links and can't seem to find anything obvious. The endlinks are new as of November, shocks as of last summer. Everything looks good... I was thinking maybe a bushing? They are all original as far as I know. But how do I check those? Kind of hard to tell just by looking at them.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See if you can get anything to wiggle by hand, if not, I'd try and bounce the car up and down and have someone listen to it by laying on the ground or something. I'm guessing a bushing also....I'm guessing stock suspension?
Old 04-05-2010, 06:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had that same problem, I did LCA's and relocation brackets and it went away. Not really sure what the hell it was either.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:27 PM
12 Second Club

its possible that your lca bushings have gone bad. its possible that your rear shock backed off the nut that tightens it down.

i would just get down there and look at all the bolts/nuts and make sure everything is tight.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

If I push down on that side it will clunk a little.

I crawled under there to check stuff and bolts seem tight. Can't really have someone push on the car while I'm down there though, not unless I want my face smashed in Maybe I'll do that while I'm down low next to the car and see if I can figure out whether it is higher up or down low.

Yes, it is stock suspension. It does have 143k miles on it.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:58 PM
12 Second Club

there was a weird clunk on my car as well when i first got mine. what i did to make the noise was open the door and stand on the step and move up and down to rock the car and i had my mom listen. she pointed to the area where the lca is. i ordered stock moog bushing replacements for the lcas and the noise went away.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Wouldn't surprise me if the bushings are shot. Heck, they're original since 98.

$54 from Advance Auto for the Moog rubber ones for all 4 to do both sides (if one is going, the other isn't far behind I'm sure). Plus cost of the machine shop, which is cheap, but still... If it is the bushings, maybe I should just upgrade to BMR or UMI LCAs for only a little bit more. $54 + $20-ish for the machine shop to press in the new ones vs $99 for a brand new pair of LCAs... hmm. Only thing I'm not sure about is the poly bushings, for a street car are those poly bushings going to be noisy?
Old 04-06-2010, 12:36 AM
12 Second Club

Poly usually aren't it's rod that are. I have the adjustable ones from umi where one end is rod (attached to the rear) and poly (attached to the body) to reduce noise.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
If I push down on that side it will clunk a little.

I crawled under there to check stuff and bolts seem tight. Can't really have someone push on the car while I'm down there though, not unless I want my face smashed in Maybe I'll do that while I'm down low next to the car and see if I can figure out whether it is higher up or down low.

Yes, it is stock suspension. It does have 143k miles on it.
lol, well, I didn't mean you should put your face UNDER the car! I just meant down by the car so you can tell where it's coming from more.

Wouldn't surprise me if the bushings are shot. Heck, they're original since 98.

$54 from Advance Auto for the Moog rubber ones for all 4 to do both sides (if one is going, the other isn't far behind I'm sure). Plus cost of the machine shop, which is cheap, but still... If it is the bushings, maybe I should just upgrade to BMR or UMI LCAs for only a little bit more. $54 + $20-ish for the machine shop to press in the new ones vs $99 for a brand new pair of LCAs... hmm. Only thing I'm not sure about is the poly bushings, for a street car are those poly bushings going to be noisy?
The poly shouldn't be noisy, although they can squeak if they're not lubed up properly. The problem with poly is that they bind the suspension, which is fine for drag racing but hinders you otherwise. It'd be a good idea to get at least one side of the LCA's to be either a rod or roto end to allow your suspension to articulate....unless you're mostly about straight lines, then you should be good!

Otherwise, the 1LE Moog bushings should still make a difference, but the stock LCA's won't be as stiff as UMI or BMR ones if you go that route.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:41 AM
12 Second Club

I have that clunk caused from the exhaust hitting the top of the car. Just a thought.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

The car is 100% street right now. Eventually will be at the drag strip but even then it will be street driven 90% of the time.

I seem to remember somebody saying either BMR or UMI would sell the non-adj LCAs with 1LE rubber bushings instead of polys if you asked... I don't recall which it was.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

The car is 100% street right now. Eventually will be at the drag strip but even then it will be street driven 90% of the time.

I seem to remember somebody saying either BMR or UMI would sell the non-adj LCAs with 1LE rubber bushings instead of polys if you asked... I don't recall which it was.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:21 PM
12 Second Club

non adjustable suspension parts are a waste of money. get adjustable or dont bother with new lcas.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Contact BMR or UMI directly. I know BMR will make them on special orders, they just dont post them on their site

Originally Posted by twitchtwice
non adjustable suspension parts are a waste of money. get adjustable or dont bother with new lcas.
Not quite true, adjustable is only really needed with LCA's to recenter the rear if you are running really big tires or get a new rear. While it's probably a smart idea to get adjustable LCA's, it's not really needed. Non-adjustable LCAs can still firm up the rear and help your launches
Old 04-06-2010, 04:34 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6r

Not quite true, adjustable is only really needed with LCA's to recenter the rear if you are running really big tires or get a new rear. While it's probably a smart idea to get adjustable LCA's, it's not really needed. Non-adjustable LCAs can still firm up the rear and help your launches
correct. my reasoning is spend the extra 50-100 on the adjustable instead of buying the non-adjustable. If you need the adjustable later on you'll end up having to buy new stuff. Makes no sense to me.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well I don't plan on a rear end change, it is just a V6 after all, I doubt I'll be breaking the rear. but then, I do plan on going turbo, and a friend of mine did manage to sheer the teeth off his 10 bolt in his cammed and sprayed V6 Camaro, so...
Old 04-06-2010, 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by twitchtwice
correct. my reasoning is spend the extra 50-100 on the adjustable instead of buying the non-adjustable. If you need the adjustable later on you'll end up having to buy new stuff. Makes no sense to me.
I guess I agree to a point. The thing is, referring to your first statement, even non adjustable LCA's can be useful and can be "bothered with", and can still make a big impact. I do see what you mean, however.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6r
Contact BMR or UMI directly. I know BMR will make them on special orders, they just dont post them on their site

You are correct we do offer a rubber bushing as an alternative to the poly bushings in our control arms.

To be able to purchase the rubber version you would need to call BMR direct.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Have you checked the top nut on the shocks. Pull back the carpet and take out the foam piece. I had about given up trying to find the "clunk" I had a few years ago. I had jacked the car up and down, put it on a lift, and everything else I could think of. Thought the shock was busted and was going to replace them. I started pulling pieces out to do the R&R and there was the nut that goes on top of the shock just sitting there. I couldn't believe the threads were fine after all that moving around. Put the nut back on, problem solved.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well no I haven't checked that. I replaced the shocks last summer and the new nut was nylon-lined to keep it from backing off, so I didn't give it much thought. Was more ready to blame the original bushings than the shock but maybe I'll double-check it anyway.

I bought a set of stock LCAs from someone for cheap that have almost brand new bushings already in them. Got them cheaper than the bushings were going to cost so that works. I'm going to put those LCAs in soon.

Quick Reply: Clunking and poor traction