Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

oil on carburetor gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 10:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default oil on carburetor gaskets

I can't remember which Horsepower TV episode it was, but the Mike guy said that a trick to get valve cover gaskets off easily was to put a little oil on the gaskets when you installed them. I believe he was using cork gaskets though.

I had a hell of a time removing a 4150 throttle body from a stock cast iron intake manifold today. I even got out a gear puller and that didn't loosen it.

I finally got it off (wedging a breaker bar under the spacer) but I was wondering if it's ok to slightly oil regular carb gaskets:

Are there any downsides to oiling them slightly?
Old 04-06-2010, 06:10 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Spray it with WD-40.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:09 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by cambirdracing
Spray it with WD-40.
This works great.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

considering the guys on hptv don't know how to use a torque wrench properly i would be weary of other advice they give,
for a carb gasket, and even valve cover gaskets, the reason they stick is because people tighten the **** out of the bolts or fasteners. There is no reason to tighten them more than finger tight, except if you have shitty mating surfaces in which case that is the problem.
For the carb, you should be able to just sit it on the manifold without tightening anything, the weight of the carb is enough and you should have no vacuum leaks and the engine should start right up and idle fine.
regarding your original question, yes oiling is ok but I think there are better ways. The key is first getting both mating surfaces (bottom of the carb and top of the intake) as clean and shiny as possible.
Then I typically use grease out of my grease gun which is marine trailer wheel bearing stuff to coat the mating surfaces, and sometimes the gasket. I find regular oil dries out especially where there's heat. White lithium grease is good,
and anti-seize compound i think works best but apply that with your finger on both mating surfaces rather than coat the gasket with it. the antiseize, and even grease, on the mating surfaces prevent the metal from corroding or rusting which causes the gasket to stick.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:38 PM
TECH Resident

awesome info, thank you!!
Old 04-06-2010, 07:42 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

I have a tub of white lith grease I use on all kinds of gaskets.
Works nice on all my stuff, doesn't dry out like WD.

Quick Reply: oil on carburetor gaskets