Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

grease fitting problem on umi phb??

Old 04-05-2010, 10:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default grease fitting problem on umi phb??

i have a umi double adjustable phb with rotojoints on both ends... on one of the rotojoints i can't get any grease into the joint... i thought the grease fitting may be clogged so i swapped it out with a brand new one and still have the same problem... the other side works fine... basically it resists whenever i pump my grease gun and i'm unable to squeeze the handle and no grease is getting inside... i'm not familiar with how the rotojoint is built so i'm not sure if there is a problem inside of it... the bar is pretty much brand new, i installed it a month or so ago and the car has hardly been driven, i'd say less than 20 miles... anyone have an idea, or maybe umi can chime in
Old 04-06-2010, 08:03 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello
Thanks for choosing UMI Performance for your suspension needs. It is a possibility that the roto joint might be over tightened. And when that happens the delrin is too close. Did you happen to disassemble the product by chance? Because each roto joint is tested and pre greased before shipping out. If you got our roto wrench part (0019) then just loosen the roto joint up a quarter turn. If you have any other questions feel free to ask or even call and I will be more than glad to help.
Thanks
Brad
Old 04-06-2010, 02:31 PM
TECH Regular

no i didn't disassemble it and didn't order the wrench so i guess i'm screwed lol... is there a way to loosen it up without using that wrench??
Old 04-07-2010, 06:55 AM
FormerVendor

Hello
Thanks for getting back to me! Unfortunately there is no way to loosen the main cap without messing it up. Feel free to give me a call and I will look into it and see what I can do for you. I will be in the office M-F 8-4:30 EST.
Thanks
Brad
Old 04-07-2010, 08:21 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The other option would be to just run it for a while and let it work the grease that is in it around. They are pregreased when we assemble them so it can be used like that. I would recommend getting a wrench so you have it.

Hope that helps,
Ryan
Old 06-04-2010, 06:15 PM
Staging Lane

I have the same problem with my roto-joint on my PHB...

I am also having problems with the LCA roto-joints backing off. I have the wrench, but how tight should they be tightened to?
Old 06-07-2010, 07:34 AM
FormerVendor

Hello
I would suggest to just tighten the end up until it is flush and make sure you have some Blue loctite on the threads. If you have any other questions feel free to give me a call and I will be more than glad to help.
Thanks
Brad
Old 06-07-2010, 10:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just installed a new UMI tubular PHB on my camaro Friday. I tried greasing it & both fittings wouldnt take any grease.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:26 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by flintwrench69
I just installed a new UMI tubular PHB on my camaro Friday. I tried greasing it & both fittings wouldnt take any grease.
Hello
What the problem is sometimes is seeing how the roto joints are pre greased. The delrin can be tight. Just run them for awhile and wear them in. And then pump 1-1.5 pumps in each fitting. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Thanks
Brad
Old 06-07-2010, 03:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
Hello
What the problem is sometimes is seeing how the roto joints are pre greased. The delrin can be tight. Just run them for awhile and wear them in. And then pump 1-1.5 pumps in each fitting. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Thanks
Brad
Yea well I bought all UMI stuff a few years ago: tunnel mount TA, SFC & rear LCAs. The LCAs didnt seem to wanna take grease either. I also got some BMR trailing arms on my GP & they have the same problem. The grease fittings on them wont take grease. Theyre the same setup. I have no idea why grease fittings are put on these kinds of parts when they wont take any grease.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:37 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by flintwrench69
Yea well I got some BMR trailing arms on my GP & the grease fittings on them wont take grease either. Theyre the same setup. I have no idea why grease fittings are put on these kinds of parts when they wont take any grease.

What Brad was trying to say is- The Roto-Joint is a tight tolerance item and is under pressure. We pre-grease them when assembled but once the item wears some and the grease breaks down it will take grease.. it is just tight and full right now. Run them for a few thousand miles and try it again.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:25 PM
On The Tree

Is it bad if you try to pump some grease in and it comes out the sides?
Old 06-14-2010, 07:33 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by kwiker
Is it bad if you try to pump some grease in and it comes out the sides?
Hello
When you say (Sides) are you talking about at the end of the bushings? Or the side or the grease fitting? If the grease is coming from the bushing then there is too much grease in the bushing and it will blow out and get ruined. But if the grease is coming out of the sides of the fitting just tighten it. If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help.
Thanks
Brad
Old 06-20-2010, 11:48 AM
On The Tree

^^^I got the roto-joint lower control arms and i thought i read somewhere that they do not have any grease in them from you guys, so i pumped some in there and it came out of the sides of the roto-joint. So i guess i just ruined it, this sucks.
Old 06-20-2010, 05:23 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by kwiker
^^^I got the roto-joint lower control arms and i thought i read somewhere that they do not have any grease in them from you guys, so i pumped some in there and it came out of the sides of the roto-joint. So i guess i just ruined it, this sucks.
No it won't be ruined. I will have Brad correct his post as that information is not right regarding the Roto-Joints, just for certain poly bushings. The Roto-Joint uses a delrin lining inside that is very durable, a few pumps of grease every few thousand miles is all that is needed. If you see grease coming out the sides just stop and run them for a while.

Hope that helps!
Ryan

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: grease fitting problem on umi phb??