Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM PCM controlling a non-GM running gear

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 03:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default GM PCM controlling a non-GM running gear

I'm sure this is a pretty odd question for this sub-forum but I figure that you guys would probably know this. I'm ordering up EFI Live for the Gen III LS1 99-07 PCMs (Stream S-LS1-B) and was wondering if I could use one of these PCMs to control my Nissan's running gear. The car is a 1990 300ZX Twin Turbo with a manual transmission. I was thinking that I could pull this off by programing the PCM's sender inputs to coincide with the Nissan senders (or possibly swap to GM senders). I've seen on EFI Live's website that the tuning software I'm purchasing will be able to tune GM's V6 SUVs, vans and trucks so I wouldn't think that the Nissan motor being a V6 would be a problem. You guys think this would be possible to do?
Old 04-06-2010, 11:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You won't be able to get
"the PCM's sender inputs to coincide with the Nissan senders".
Only a few can be defined in the PCM, most notably the MAP sensor.

The only way I could see this working is to use GM sensors in place of the Nissan ones.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:53 PM
Banned

I am thinking of a few PCM's that would run it.

You may want to start with something like the 3.5L quad cammed ShortStar program. If you had TunerCat RoadRunner that maybe the best route. I know this calibration will run boost.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:04 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by shoemike
You won't be able to get
"the PCM's sender inputs to coincide with the Nissan senders".
Only a few can be defined in the PCM, most notably the MAP sensor.

The only way I could see this working is to use GM sensors in place of the Nissan ones.
I see, GM sensors could be done. Luckily for me I have a core 98 LS1 in the shop so I've got an extra set of sensors. I'll have to check if the 98 sensors are the same as the 99+. This Z is going to be a track car so thankfully I won't have the headache of emissions.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You also have to consider what to do for a crank position reluctor... the LS1 crank reluctor is way different.

I don't know how much the Nissan V6 costs, but it may possibly be cheaper to drop in an LS1/LS6 crate motor... various people have done this transplant on their Nissan 240Z/260Z and Mazda RX7 FD (3rd gen).
Old 04-08-2010, 06:19 AM
9 Second Club

I tuned a Hemi Cuda for a friend who did this - he used GM sensors on a newer Hemi crate motor (before anyone was doing tuning programs for them)... he did a lot of work to incorporate them all. It was a really unique and awesome project!