Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Shocks/Struts

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 11:58 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shocks/Struts

So my car has the stock DeCarbons that were put on it 14 years ago I'm sure.

It's a 1996 Z28 with the mods in the sig. I want to replace the DeCarbons with something else. My dad (in the parts business) suggests not wasting my money and he always has 'told me so' with everything. He feels that Gabriels are trash and from what I have read I believe him. Broken welds and stuff.

It has been bumping and banging and I replaced the bump stops and most of it went away. However I think that some of it is from the shocks as they are very old. Also going to replace motor/tranny mount soon.

What do you guys suggest? Bilsteins are close to my price range.

Basically, I got about 300 or so bucks to toy around with. However I am still leaning towards just splurging and getting Konis. I mean are they really that much better than anything else? Like if a deCarbon is -5, on a scale of 1-10, is a Koni really 100? I like the warranty on the Konis too. Do you guys have any stories of when you warrantied them after they started to get bad? Like just regular wear and tear?

I am pretty sure I can afford another 400, but it's whether I want to or not.

Last edited by trippinholyman; 04-06-2010 at 12:19 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:29 PM
On The Tree

I have Konis on the rear saving up for the fronts i could tell a complete difference with how smooth the car felt in the rear and im anxious to get the front done. I would say if you plan on keeping the car a while and its going to be a street car mostly that you cant go wrong with koni's do it right the first time.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same here with rear Koni's on. I haven't had time to do the whole car, being in college away from home doesnt make it easy!

The back of the car does feel smoother and much more settled, and I have it on full soft. I can't wait to get the whole car setup and see the difference!

However, Bilsteins are still a good option from what I've heard from others, and if you're just looking for more comfort/better cornering and don't plan on keeping the car for tooooo long, they'd probably be a good bet
Old 04-06-2010, 12:57 PM
Launching!

That's what I was afraid of. I got like 900 bucks comin back from my refund soon and I wanted to fix up the car a little, but I still need to pay off some bills, haha. I could easily spend the money and put them on there though. Thinking about getting 4/3s from Sam. I promised him a few months ago I would buy some shocks from him, thought I would get some Bilsteins back then though. May as well do it right the first time, haha.

I don't plan on selling the car or giving it up unless it gets totalled. And in the event that happens, I'm going to just buy another one. Maybe an LS1 if that happens.

The only difference between 4/4 and 4/3 is that the rears are off-car adjustable on the 4/3 versus on car like 4/4 right?