Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

My good luck led to some crappy luck today...

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 06:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My good luck led to some crappy luck today...

Ok ok... prob not as big of a deal as your thinking but still enough to **** me off!

Well... I get a call today from my girl saying that the wheels i bought for the V had been dropped off by fedex today. GREAT!! Earlier than i expected them!! Nothing fancy... They are just the factory silver finish off another members 07 V in great shape with good tires and sensors (which i needed both) to use while i take my black wheels off to be powdercoated and get the tires i really want put on them. I'm only having them recoated to fix some minor rash that was there when i bought the car so they would be perfect again.

Anyway, i get done installing them and everything is great. I change for work and drive up here thinking about when im going to take my wheels to the powdercoater so i can get them done and everything would be perfect again because the rash on the 2 wheels was really eating at me! lol I arrive and get out of the car here at work to see that one of my taillight lenses had blown off!!! WTF!!! Nothing but chrome there now...

When i bought the car, the previous owner told me he had an incident when he went through one of the high pressure touchless car washes where the high speed blower blew the lense off his tailllight. He said he reinstalled it and never had another issue but warned me incase i were to ever go through a touchless wash (which i dont). Well... I guess today was my UNLUCKY day and the wind must have caught it just right and ripped it off on the highway.

Anyone have a driver side taillight in excellent shape they want to sell or know where i can get one cheap?

I realize it nothing major but just sucks because now I cant drive the car (other than back home after work) until i get that replaced. On top of that, because i have all my lights smoked in the rear, ill have to take both tails to my buddy's painter and have him do a nice dark smoke again on both at the same time to ensure they match properly. Just a PITA i wasnt expecting to deal with!

Well now... this is what im thinking...

I'll prob just drop the car off at my buddys shop once i find a new taillight and have his painter re-smoke the tails and do a light smoke on my headlights as well since those are the only thing thats aren't blacked out. Since i still have the amber lenses up front even though they are smoked, i think i might have a-bomb clear them for me with the lexan stuff and then have the guy smoke them too so i can get rid of the amber part. Ill prob have him paint my grilles black too so the car is completely murdered. As far as wheels, im debating on either having my stock ones powdercoated gloss black again like i had originally planned or skip that and sell both stock sets i have now for the money to buy a used set of the CCW 19's i really want in either polished or satin black if i can find them...

What do yall think?

Last edited by NeverSatisfied02; 04-06-2010 at 06:24 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:46 PM
On The Tree

Sux with the luck bro.

Do you like those Team Dynamics wheels in the f/s section? I believe they're black?
Old 04-06-2010, 08:04 PM
TECH Veteran

I know. Figured everything was getting closer to perfect after my wheels came in and all and i was excited about getting my wheels coated again and now im looking for a taillight...

I like them but i dont like that they are the exact same size as factory. If they were staggered, id be very interested though the style isnt exactly my first choice.

Id really like some ccw 505a's or sp600's if i can get a good price on a used set...
Old 04-06-2010, 08:43 PM
-T-
TECH Enthusiast

Don't smoke the tail lenses....

Get some new tails, open em up and paintthe chrome part flat black. No gloss as that will reflect. Cement glue the lense back on and viola.! You have tinted tails without messing with light output. Daytime will appear as though they are smoked..

And when u slam on ur breaks in traffic, no one can say they didn't see ur lights.

A friend got the insurance tab because he tinted his tails, got rear ended an the guy said his lights were too dim and didn't know he was stopping until it was too late. Police inspected the lights and found him at fault.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Damn man! Thanks for the info! I'll have to look into that! I'd like to see how it looks when done. I could see painting the inside making a difference on some clear lenses but on red, I wouldn't think painting the inside would make it dark enough to match the rest. Either way, your making me think twice about smoking them at all after hearing about your buddies insurance deal. That sucks!!! Smoked lights look so good on black though!
Old 04-08-2010, 12:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

That officially qualifies for crappy luck today.

Drink a cold one. Buy a new lense, and chalk it up to a 0.5% increase in the cost of the wheels you're doing.

0.5% aint bad. You still got a good deal.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Yeah man, pretty much swallowed the luck and after searching high and low, I found the cheapest taillight i could for $100 at a junk yard way across town. I posted an ad on craigs and had a text telling me to call that guy and say the guy who texted sent me and he would hook it up. Didn't realize they were so expensive until he quoted me $100 and after looking, everything else was almost twice the price. Next in line was ebay for $160 or so (but i don't get to see it first and i have to wait for shipping) and then the other junk yards i tried local wanted $200 for one. They are over $300 each from the dealer. Guess ill suck it up and make this drive to pick up that one for $100.

Hoping ill be able to drop all my lights off at the painter this weekend to smoke everything and then drop my wheels and grilles off at powdercoating to have them done gloss black. Should have everything completely murdered and back on the car by next week.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:03 AM
On The Tree

Hey NeverSat02, if you're looking to sell one or two of those rims after you get the other ones powdercoated, let me know. I have two with some rash I wouldn't mind replacing (one for sure). If you don't already have a spare in the trunk, perhaps we can work a deal for one of my rashed rims (for you to use as a spare) + $$ for one of your clean rims. If not, no problem.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Yeah man, might be interested in doing that. Ill let you know once i get mine done and i have them completely free. Since your local, it would be an easy transaction...
Old 04-09-2010, 09:41 AM
Staging Lane

I'd also be interested in picking up a minor rashed wheel for a spare in the trunk. If someone is wanting to make a deal.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Ill prob part with mine. However... i think im going to have my new minty set coated black and keep one of the black ones out of the set for my spare so they are all black. Most like ill have 3 black wheels ill be selling. Doesnt really matter if its going to be a spare anyway...