Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

ADJ PHB, Center Adj

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 07:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ADJ PHB, Center Adj

I cant find the instructions on centering my rear end. Just installed a BMr Adj PHB. From the center both are siting at 1.5in from the lip of the rim. This sound right?

Last edited by ninjai_ruken; 04-06-2010 at 08:05 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

So, is your driverside, or passengerside tire closer to the fender lip?

If the driverside is closer, adjust the PHB shorter.
If it's the passengerside, adjust the PHB longer.

FYI, if the PHB is level, or lower on the passengerside (for your ride height) you'll want the tires slightly closer (1/16th to 1/8th inch) on the driverside. You'll want to do this with really wide, or less than optimum wheel offsets since the rearend assembly will shift slightly to the passengerside during suspension compression.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:59 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello
Like mentioned above you will need to get a measurement using a Plum ball (piece of string with a weight at the bottom) and get the measurement from the lip of the wheel to the lip of the fender. If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help.
Thanks
Brad
Old 04-07-2010, 11:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I am the luckiest guy on earth, because that was the method I used before posting. I just couldn't believe that I had both sides perfect and aligned. I triple checked it and both sides from the rim lip out are dead even at 1.5in never in my life of automotive have I come across an install that was that perfect in the end.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:41 AM
Staging Lane

Is your torque arm still banging now the rear is centered?
Old 04-07-2010, 02:09 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ninjai_ruken
I am the luckiest guy on earth, because that was the method I used before posting. I just couldn't believe that I had both sides perfect and aligned. I triple checked it and both sides from the rim lip out are dead even at 1.5in never in my life of automotive have I come across an install that was that perfect in the end.
Hello
LOL...Well glad to hear that you got everything worked out! If you have any other questions. I am only a phone call or a email away.
Thanks
Brad
Old 04-08-2010, 08:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pilsner
Is your torque arm still banging now the rear is centered?
Nope no banging or hitting at all, the Adj TA Relocation Bracket and Adj PHB Fixed it. Both UMI and BMR make excellent products contact one of them. They will give you the advice and help you need. Next will be Weld in LCA Relocation Bracets and LCA's. I did notice more tire scrub from my Full Spool since the install. But thats most likely because my rear end is not moving as much. The difference after install was like Night and Day. Shes a lot funner to drive. Now I just need to get my Pinion Angle Adjusted right. The vibration from 70mph+ has now intensified.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:25 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ninjai_ruken
Nope no banging or hitting at all, the Adj TA Relocation Bracket and Adj PHB Fixed it. Both UMI and BMR make excellent products contact one of them. They will give you the advice and help you need. Next will be Weld in LCA Relocation Bracets and LCA's. I did notice more tire scrub from my Full Spool since the install. But thats most likely because my rear end is not moving as much. The difference after install was like Night and Day. Shes a lot funner to drive. Now I just need to get my Pinion Angle Adjusted right. The vibration from 70mph+ has now intensified.
Hello
Thanks for suggesting UMI Performance! Great to hear you got everything taken care of. Now when you get a angle finder (which we offer them $10+S/H) I would recommend setting the pinion angle at -2 degrees. And when you set it you want the suspension loaded with all 4 tires on ramps, block ...anything as long as you get get under to adjust the angle. If you need any help feel free to give me a call and I will be more than glad to explain over the phone rather than type it.....less confusing.
Thanks
Brad
Old 04-20-2010, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Glad to hear the BMR adjustable panhard rod worked out for you
Old 04-21-2010, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my driver side was 3 and 3/4 inch from my plum ball and my passenger side was 3 and 3/8 inch from my plum ball so that is a 3/8 inch difference.

this means that my passenger side wheel is 3/8 inch closer to the fender lip, so i need to lengthen my PHB.

are all adjustable PHBs adjustable on the car or do some have to be removed to be adjusted?
-i ask because it seems to me that if you take the PHB off at a certain length and then lengthen it, it won't go back into place because it will be longer. this leads me to believe that all adjustable PHBs are to be adjusted while they are on the car.

is this correct Lee or Brad or anyone else?
Old 04-21-2010, 11:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Correct. lengthen it 3/16" .

BTW, which brand/model PHB do you have?

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 04-21-2010 at 11:24 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

ah yes. 3/16 is the correct number, i bet i would have lengthened it 3/8".

thanks for the help.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:02 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
Hello
Thanks for suggesting UMI Performance! Great to hear you got everything taken care of. Now when you get a angle finder (which we offer them $10+S/H) I would recommend setting the pinion angle at -2 degrees. And when you set it you want the suspension loaded with all 4 tires on ramps, block ...anything as long as you get get under to adjust the angle. If you need any help feel free to give me a call and I will be more than glad to explain over the phone rather than type it.....less confusing.
Thanks
Brad
Not to thread hijack, but the pinion angle should be set when any car is lowered?
Old 04-22-2010, 05:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

99Blue, this is the PHB that I have. It is a Hotchkis. It is adjustable on the passenger side.

so let me get this straight. when you adjust your PHB with the suspension loaded, your rear end isn't moving at all, right? It seems to me that the body would be the only thing moving when I visualize the adjustment process.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jdoyle
my driver side was 3 and 3/4 inch from my plum ball and my passenger side was 3 and 3/8 inch from my plum ball so that is a 3/8 inch difference.

this means that my passenger side wheel is 3/8 inch closer to the fender lip, so i need to lengthen my PHB.

are all adjustable PHBs adjustable on the car or do some have to be removed to be adjusted?
-i ask because it seems to me that if you take the PHB off at a certain length and then lengthen it, it won't go back into place because it will be longer. this leads me to believe that all adjustable PHBs are to be adjusted while they are on the car.

is this correct Lee or Brad or anyone else?
The only adjustable panhard bar we sell is the on car adjustable version.

There are some brands that do offer a single adjustable version which you do have to remove from the vehicle to adjust.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jdoyle
99Blue, this is the PHB that I have. It is a Hotchkis. It is adjustable on the passenger side.

so let me get this straight. when you adjust your PHB with the suspension loaded, your rear end isn't moving at all, right? It seems to me that the body would be the only thing moving when I visualize the adjustment process.
That's correct the body moves not the rearend...
Old 05-13-2010, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

now my drivers side is 3/16" closer to the wheel well!

you guys ever leave the grease fitting up for adjustment purposes or does it always have to be face down?

i wonder if i should even mess with it. i mean it is 3/16 of one inch.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Lightbulb

My GOD, that much!.......

Well see that you measured it down to a 16th, try giving it 1-2 full turns shorter.
As far as grease fittings I would just keep them pointed down because there easier to get to with a grease gun, but you don't have to.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
My GOD, that much!.......

Well see that you measured it down to a 16th, try giving it 1-2 full turns shorter.
As far as grease fittings I would just keep them pointed down because there easier to get to with a grease gun, but you don't have to.
Would have to agree 3/16 is a very small amount to be off but if you want to adjust it it's obviously not going to hurt either.

We usually recommend running the grease fitting pointing down just for eas of access with a grease gun.

Quick Reply: ADJ PHB, Center Adj