Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Washing a convertible top

Old 01-05-2004, 01:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Washing a convertible top

I have a 2000 vert and have yet to wash the top. I don't want to damage it without checking here first.

What kind of soap is recommended to wash it?

What kind of sponge or brush is recommended?

Anything else that I need to know to keep it looking good.....and stop it from fading?
Old 01-05-2004, 01:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2000WS6Vert
I have a 2000 vert and have yet to wash the top. I don't want to damage it without checking here first.

What kind of soap is recommended to wash it?

What kind of sponge or brush is recommended?

Anything else that I need to know to keep it looking good.....and stop it from fading?

All GM top materials are made by www.haartz.com . Here is the cleaning instructions from their web site. Haartz says to use two products, their spray cleaner and the 303 Fabric Guard (kinda like Scotchguard for outside material)
I have also used Ragtopp products which I like even better. Here is the procedure cut and pasted from the Haartz web site:

Important: A program of keeping the top clean through regular washings BEFORE it gets dirty, will enhance the life and beauty of an acrylic top and make successive cleaning easier.

Most automatic car washes will not harm sport topping fabrics. Washes with water jets and hanging cloths are preferred. Those using heavy barrel brushes should be avoided. Haartz recommends hand washing in the shade or partial shade, not direct sunlight.

Bird and tree droppings as well as other loose particle soils should be removed immediately. Vacuum the top with a brush attachment and rinse the roof fabric thoroughly with water to remove these loose particle soils. This will also prevent the soils from being redeposited during the cleaning process. Once the top has been rinsed thoroughly, spray apply Haartz Roof Cleaner evenly over the entire top while the top is still wet. Washing with soap and warm water is a safe alternative to Haartz Roof Cleaner, but not as effective. DO NOT USE DETERGENTS. Allow the roof cleaner to soak into the top for 10 to 20 minutes and then scrub the top lightly with a soft nylon brush or terry cloth rag. Rinse thoroughly, preferably until no remaining soap foam is observed. Allow to dry. Additional cleaning may be required. It is best to determine this after the top has dried completely. After drying, cleaning must be followed by re-water repelling the fabric with a fluorocarbon system such as 303 High Tech Fabric Guard . Failure to do so will result in rapid resoiling of the unprotected fabric.

The fabric itself does not promote mildew growth. However, mildew may grow on dirt and other foreign substances that are not removed from the fabric. For these more stubborn cases, soak the fabric for approximately 20 minutes in a solution of no more than ½ cup (4 oz.) bleach and ¼ cup (2 oz.) Haartz Roof Cleaner per gallon of water and scrub lightly as indicated above. Excessive soaking with the bleach solution can deteriorate seam threads, so be sure to rinse thoroughly.

Rinse entire vehicle to remove all of the bleach solution from fabric and to prevent streaking on painted and chrome surfaces. Acrylic fabric readily absorbs water but dries quickly. Several cleanings may be necessary.

Do NOT use top dressing cleaners or conditioners containing silicones, organic solvents, petroleum distillates or plasticizers that may permanently stain the fabric. This product is made from 100% solution dyed acrylic fiber which is thermoplastic. Do NOT subject to excessive heat.

The use of stronger cleansers should be left to professionals experienced in handling this type of fabric to avoid discoloration and degradation of the special protective inner layer.
Old 01-05-2004, 01:46 PM
Staging Lane

Oh, here is the Ragtopp cleaner:

http://afterthoughtsauto.com/contopcleanp.html
Old 01-05-2004, 02:50 PM
TECH Regular

Mark....thanks for the info.

Do you know of any stores that sell the cleaner/protector? I'd rather pick it up in a store than buy it online.
Old 01-05-2004, 03:25 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When vacuuming, don't use long back & forth strokes -
use short "dabs" and try not to put any consistent
"stripes" down.

Never seen RaggTopp in stores. I found the best price
at autofanatics.com, last year. This year, who knows?
Old 01-05-2004, 06:19 PM
TECH Addict

Nice info!!!!
I was wondering the same thing.
Old 01-05-2004, 06:23 PM
Staging Lane

There is a convertible forum on Chirpthird.

http://www.chirpthird.com/ubbcgi/ult...?ubb=forum&f=9

Kinda slow but really great info for 'verts.
Old 01-05-2004, 06:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mothers makes a spray for verts

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Washing a convertible top