Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Battery or alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 02:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Battery or alternator?

Well long story short my ps pump blew fluid all over my alternator and i cleaned it off pretty good. now my volts were super low and now on my way home from work my car just kept dying, like i slowly saw it gradually go down then all the little lights came on (check gauges, abs inop, etc.) till i stalled out. kept having to jump it to get it back to my house about a mile from where it first died. Ive also been having issues with it starting and randomly resetting the computer and radio (probably a bad connection to the battery, which the positive connector on the battery terminal broke when i got it home). my question is could it be my alternator or whats going? when i wake up im going to start the car and disconnect the battery and see what happens. but here is a pic of eariler on in the day when i first noticed it

It starts there and just gradually dies.

Last edited by Zerokube; 04-08-2010 at 02:36 AM.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:37 AM
On The Tree

Its the alternator. I had a similar thing happen to me with my first car. My alt went out while i was driving(didnt know it did). I was listening to music loud and all of a sudden my radio would shut off and then turn back on. On a lower volume it was fine but if i turned it up again it shut off. As i kept doing this, i eventually wasnt able to turn the radio past 5. I pulled over and shut the car off. When i went to restart it, it wouldnt start. Basically, i was running everything off the battery and since the alt wasnt working, it wasnt charging the battery back up. I was able to jump it fine and it would start but if I went to shut it off it wouldnt start back up till i jumped it again. Change the alternator and i guarantee that it will solve your problem. Also, how old is your battery?
Old 04-11-2010, 09:51 PM
TECH Addict

Most likely its your power steeriing pump, since it was full of fluid. Remove it and get it checked out at autozone.

Had the same problem with my old SS. Leaking PS pump kept killing my alternators.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^^ ditto
Old 04-13-2010, 12:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well i got the car started then removed the battery cables and it died immediately, so i guess it is the alternator