Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

84 s10 ext cab lq9/t56 swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 05:09 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 84 s10 ext cab lq9/t56 swap questions

I have the truck already, and have all the money to buy everything i need. i have tons of questions also.

What would be the best years of the engine to get?
the tranny will be built after bought so no worries on that.
i know i need the accessories/harness for the engine but should i get them all together(with the engine) or should get them seperate?

and am i gonna need to notch the frame or get a different oil pan for clearance?

do i need a special wiring harness for my truck? does anyone make them?

and is there any usual problems and concerns to worry about during install?

i was looking around the forums for any kind of guides for s10 swaps but didnt see any. sorry if there is one out there.

any help would be awesome and most appreciated.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:12 AM
On The Tree

I will try to answer as many of your questions as I can, look at my garage and you will see my S10 Swap! First off the oil pan, I used the car shop inc. LS1 Swap Mounts and I ordered a Oil Pan For a 08 Hummer H3 Alpha! This combo clears very nicely! Why cut into the chassis when there is no need! I even left my brake like in the stock location across the crossmember! Also truck type accesories work with this combo! As far as best year of engine to select i will let someone else chime in there, i melted my 04 LM7 so it depends on if you plan to FI or Just Run NA! As far as the electrical i used Speartech, there was four wires to run and then just plug everything in! Other places like current performance also make harnesses! I have to recommend Speartech, the quality is unmatched! If you have more questions hit me back or I am sure everyone on here has suggestions!
Old 04-08-2010, 10:16 AM
Teching In

i gonna need to notch the frame or get a different oil pan for clearance?
What LS1DIME suggested is the best way if you don't want to notch it. The only draw back it it will hang below the crossmember. I went with the LS2 Corvette oil pan, which requires a small notch because my truck has a 4/5 drop.

do i need a special wiring harness for my truck? does anyone make them?
There is a lot of options depending on what you need to work. I personally modified a stock harness to work as a standalone since I will be using aftermarket gauges. There is a lot of info lt1swap.com if you want to try it yourself.

is there any usual problems and concerns to worry about during install?
I haven't finished my 6.0l (lq4) swap but have done a 350 into a 94 s10. The only issues I had were steering shaft clearance and I had to "massage" the firewall to clear the pass header collector.

i was looking around the forums for any kind of guides for s10 swaps but didnt see any. sorry if there is one out there.
There is a lot of info here on LS1Tech. Also http://www.s10forum.com/forum/lsx-discussion/ has info that is more specific to S10 swaps.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:33 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

X2 the LSx section on S10forum.com has the best info for this swap...for wiring issues there are plenty of other sites...
Old 04-08-2010, 11:04 AM
On The Tree

Yea slonoma is correct, my truck is dropped 5" & 7" the pan hangs about 3/4" Below the crossmember, i have not hit anything with it yet! The good thing is the location where it hangs down, as you go over speed bumps and things its its right in line with the wheels so it lifts with the truck! As far as forums I couldnt really name any! I didnt use any other than what I read on LS1Tech! I also agree there are many places to buy harnesses, i have just only personally dealt with Speartech!!
Old 04-08-2010, 03:27 PM
Teching In

well thanks for the answers guys.

I only plan on lowering it 2/3 so clearance for an oil pan shouldnt be an issue.

I plan on running custom guages for pretty much everything but it will be from a carb'd truck in the first place so i think i might have to go with a pcm and such.

Ive done a 350/th350 swap into an s10 before without problems is it much harder than it?
Old 04-08-2010, 06:34 PM
On The Tree

you should really talk to jared at currentperformance.com he made the harness for my swap. it was a direct plug in harness only had to connect the fans to the harness. the harness is kinda pricey but in my opinion worth every penny.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:41 PM
On The Tree

I spoke with Current before going with Speartech, Tweek your harness is plug and play because of yours being a factory fuel injected newer model, mine is an 85 and he is building an 84! Which were both carb vehicles, he also stated he was going to use aftermarket gauges! They will both just make standalone harnesses for an older vehicle like ours! But Joe my truck has had a 305/350 turbo setup in it, its had a 5.7L Vortec w/700r4 Setup in it, and now a twin-turbo 6.0 w/700r4, To me none of the swaps were that difficult, but it comes to having the right parts and how far your budget can let you go!
Old 04-08-2010, 08:55 PM
Teching In

I'm not sure how much you like electrical but I only have 3-4 hours into making a truck harness into a standalone. All of the info I used was found on ls1tech and lt1swap.

Also keep in mind that you need to have the VATS (anti theft) and any other sensors you aren't using disabled. T
Old 04-09-2010, 12:51 AM
Teching In

well i want to use aftermarket guages if i can get them to fit in the dash and look decent.

and my budget is roughly 15k and i have the truck already.

wanna get about 500whp if possible.

you guys think this is do-able? I will do all work myself except engine work and tranny work.
I dont want **** to break on it so i wanna build it pretty sturdy at that.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:58 PM
Teching In

you guys think 15k is more than enough if i do everything except tune and exhaust work?
Old 04-10-2010, 03:46 AM
Teching In

just decided i want to run a carb setup on the ls1. I dont want to have to worry about computers and such.

If i run a carb and distributer do i have to do any of the wiring harness and all that stuff?

I am hoping it will make it similar to swapping a 350small block into it.

help please and thanks lol
Old 04-10-2010, 05:13 AM
On The Tree

PM Sent
Old 04-10-2010, 08:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Default rear mnt turbo

Originally Posted by LS1DIME
PM Sent
How about more details and pics of your rear mount turbo system
Old 04-10-2010, 02:49 PM
On The Tree

If you want some more pics there jimbo go to the my garage section, there are several of my truck on there! As for details, its gotta a 6.0L GM Block, stock bore -13.77cc Diamond Turbo Pistons, Eagle ESP Rods with ARP Bolts, Stock Stroke Eagle LS1 Crank, 317 heads with stock valve and Patriot Valve Springs Kits installed! Comp Pushrods and Comp Lifters, A 54-000-11 Comp Cam, Grind Code LS1 3722/3721! ARP Head studs, cometic head gaskets, Melling Oil Pump, 08 Hummer H3 Alpha Oil Pan, Truck Accessories! John at Speartech made my custom DBW Harness with a few tweaks I requested, Its got a complete Aeromotive A1000 Fuel System, with Braided -8an line from the sumped tank to the regulator and all the way to the return in the tank! Sanderson Headers modified with 2-1/2" V-Band Connecters for collectors, into a x pipe, then back to the turbos, they are Twin 44mm T04B .61 ar .84 hotside Garretts, my oil system consists of a 8qt drysump tank and RB racing Electric Oil Pump! Braided Oil Feeds and 5/8" Returns! Anything else?
Old 04-10-2010, 02:54 PM
On The Tree

But yea joe id say $15k is a solid budget, but if you decide to go ahead and up it and do a blower or a turbo or a Nitrous Setup It would be close to pushing it depending how far you go with it!
Old 04-10-2010, 04:39 PM
Teching In

But yea joe id say $15k is a solid budget, but if you decide to go ahead and up it and do a blower or a turbo or a Nitrous Setup It would be close to pushing it depending how far you go with it!
well i would prefer to go nitrous for now due to it being the cheaper route for now.

and i got ur pm and if i decide to go this route you will be first person i contact.

If i run the carb/msd ignition box that edelbrock makes will i still need a pcm? and maf sensors and all that ****?
Old 04-10-2010, 05:04 PM
On The Tree

No i believe the MSD System eliminate all but the sensors it needs for firing, Maf is not needed on a carb they control the air/fuel ratio with out PCM being needed! Id suggest a wideband system to fine tune and get the most outta your setup!
Old 04-10-2010, 05:16 PM
Teching In

No i believe the MSD System eliminate all but the sensors it needs for firing, Maf is not needed on a carb they control the air/fuel ratio with out PCM being needed! Id suggest a wideband system to fine tune and get the most outta your setup!
thats what i thought on the msd thing.

What exactly is a wideband system and how does it help?
Old 04-11-2010, 04:30 AM
Teching In

if i run a 4l60e or 4l80e will i have to use some sort of PCM for it?

Im trying to do it all without computers besides the msd box.

Quick Reply: 84 s10 ext cab lq9/t56 swap questions