Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

00 Bellhousing doesn't fit over Z06 clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 10:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 00 Bellhousing doesn't fit over Z06 clutch?

OK, I'm getting ready to bolt up the bell housing and tranny (T56) to my new LS6, and the LS6 clutch is rubbing the bell housing...what's up with that? I might be able to grind out the space a little; it doesn't seem like it need much, but the bell housing is so thin, I'm really leery of that. Any suggestions? Anyone else seen this?

I took a well-used McCleod out of the LS1 in favor of keeping the new LS6 clutch and flywheel, but it looks like I need to go back to it...
Old 04-08-2010, 10:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Oops, I just saw the Manual section, so moved the post here...

I'm thinking that the new crate motor being an '04, the clutch might only fit a vette, which has a different tranny set up, right?

I'm really not unhappy about putting the McCleod back in, but I think the new flywheel is balanced to the LS6 motor, right?
Old 04-09-2010, 02:56 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

An LS1 and LS6 have the same balance of the flywheels.
And a Z06 LS6 clutch is a stock 2001-2002 F-body clutch.

If your bellhousing is a stock 98-02 F-body piece, then your flywheel / clutch assy. is not a GM LS6 flywheel / clutch.

Double check and make sure it's not the starter that is stopping you. GTO / F-body used different bell / starters.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks, it was the clutch assembly that came with the crate motor and it's a stock 00 bell housing. I found out today from GM that the Vette version GMPP shipped (even though the guy on the phone assured me it was the right one for a 2000 TA) uses a dual-mass flywheel and torque tube that won't fit the F-Body set up. So I'm rebuilding the McLeod clutch and resurfacing the flywheel.

What's an un-used Z06 clutch and flywheel worth???