Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What manual rack kit to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 11:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What manual rack kit to buy?

Hey guys, I've decided to put a manual rack kit in my car. What kit do you reccomend. So far I've looked at the bmr one, burkhart, and madman kit. Are there any others? I've read that madman has a bolt in kit but then I read the instructions and you needed to weld a tab onto k memeber? I don't want to do any welding to do the swap.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Ryan
Old 04-09-2010, 12:44 AM
9 Second Club

BMR has a very nice one , bolts right in no welding...I have it on my car and like it
Old 04-09-2010, 08:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by airfix
Hey guys, I've decided to put a manual rack kit in my car. What kit do you reccomend. So far I've looked at the bmr one, burkhart, and madman kit. Are there any others? I've read that madman has a bolt in kit but then I read the instructions and you needed to weld a tab onto k memeber? I don't want to do any welding to do the swap.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Ryan
it's really a very simple weld, and wouldn't take much time for you to weld the tab on. It's a piece of two in strap that you weld onto the k-member, then bolt the rack to. If you change your mind, feel free to call us at 225-673-3533. I have manual racks in stock, ready to ship.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

the burkhart is a nice solution for a true bolt in but its heavier because it has some tubular structure thats attached to the steering rack

the madman kit is really easy to install. one tab that only takes a few minutes to weld to the kmember.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:45 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Ours is a true bolt in. The CM suport is only a couple of pounds. It comes with the steering shaft, bump steer kit, rack, and mount for 595.00.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:23 AM
Staging Lane

What is the point of a manual rack conversion? Weight reduction? How many lbs.? Or do people do it to free up some HP from the elimination of the powersteering pump?
Old 04-09-2010, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wforty94
What is the point of a manual rack conversion? Weight reduction? How many lbs.? Or do people do it to free up some HP from the elimination of the powersteering pump?
It's actually both options you're talking about. It also frees up some room under the hood. The steering shaft we use (included in the cost of the manual rack) also gives you a bit more room for your headers. Total weight savings is around 19lbs.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I dont have a manual rack but bought a used K-member that had the tab, simple weld job it probly was but i removed it and smoothed it out cant tell was even there. I would say dont let that one part scare you a way from a Great product.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Zmg00camaross
I dont have a manual rack but bought a used K-member that had the tab, simple weld job it probly was but i removed it and smoothed it out cant tell was even there. I would say dont let that one part scare you a way from a Great product.
thanks for the props!
Old 04-10-2010, 10:27 PM
8 Second Club

I have the Madman kit. Very easy to install and fit well.

Quick Reply: What manual rack kit to buy?