Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Mr. Clean AutoDry Carwash

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 06:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Smile Mr. Clean AutoDry Carwash

I just tried the new Mr. Clean AutoDry carwash system. I was skeptical at first, but this thing seems to work pretty well. You just wash your car and let it air dry, it is supposed to prevent water spots. This thing will not give you a "show car" look by any means, but it does do a good job for a quick clean. There were definitely less water spots than usual, but my car wasn't totally spot free. Overall I would say that it is a good buy for those quick wash jobs.

Kevin
Old 01-05-2004, 06:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So someone was finally brave enough to try it. Is it a squirt on/rinse off or can I hand wash and rinse with it? BTW, I'm a Gator lover stuck here in freezing/snowing Seattle. Lived in Jax Bch for 12yrs. Send me some heat and sun please!!!
Old 01-05-2004, 08:52 PM
12 Second Club

Its pretty much just a soap dispenser and a water filter. I just sprayed the soap on, washed it with my sponge, and then used the filtered water to rinse the car off. I'm pretty sure the only thing that stops the water spots is the filter, so you could probably just wash your car like you normally do, and rinse it with the filtered water.

ram-it,
You can have some of this hot weather, it just seems weird to me that its January and its still in the 70s outside. I can't imagine the weather is too great in Seattle.

Kevin
Old 01-06-2004, 10:21 AM
Teching In

If you go to Autodry.com they'll send you a $5 off coupon and one "for a friend." Requested mine yesterday.
Old 01-06-2004, 11:13 AM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cars dry with water spots because of the minerals in the water. The whole idea of that device is to eliminate the contact with the paint while you dry the car which is the primary causes of swirls/scratches.

I don't have too much faith in it, there have been other products that have failed ... the cars still don't dry to the standards of a picky detailer.
Old 01-06-2004, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

In the TV commercial they claim that your car will dry "spot free" or your money back... sounds like the few spots you describe constitute your claim for a refund.
Old 01-06-2004, 02:15 PM
11 Second Club

I work at an automatic carwash and im always impressed when my car gets out. At least get out and go over the car with a damp towel because its never going to dry totally.
Old 01-06-2004, 02:15 PM
TECH Resident

Good call Mark!
Old 03-05-2004, 10:19 PM
Teching In

Just bought the kit tonight. I'll be testing this thing out tomorrow morning.
Old 03-06-2004, 01:40 PM
Teching In

Used it this morning on my wifes spyder gt and on my Z28. I washed hers earlier in the morning when the sun was not at its brightest but she had to leave for work so I wasnt able to see the results. I called her up and she said there arent any water spots anywhere. So by the time i got to washing my car the sun was pretty much out in full force and it wasnt the ideal time to wash the car.....i did anyway just to see if it would still work. It did quite well....there are no water spots anywhere....not even on the wheels. Works just as advertised. Only complaints are that the soap is not all that sudsy....and you have to get used to washing the car without using a bucket of water. You have to constantly soak the sponge with the soap. My other complaint is that you can only wash certain sections of the car at a time and then you have to clean the sponge with a good amount of water. The soap makes almost a filmy substance of dirt on the sponge and your hands......alot of time is spent cleaning the sponge so you dont drag the dirt all over the car scratching the paint. Other than that the product does exaclty what its supposed to......if my car wasnt so filthy from all the rain it might have gone quicker but its still nice and clean. Heres the pics:

http://home.houston.rr.com/carlosls1...lean%20001.jpg

http://home.houston.rr.com/carlosls1...lean%20002.jpg

http://home.houston.rr.com/carlosls1...lean%20004.jpg
Old 03-06-2004, 02:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I see water spots on your back bumper.
Old 03-06-2004, 03:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I cant wait till spring to zaino after washing with this mr.clean. I wash my car with zaino car wash then use the mr.clean distilled water to rinse off. No water spots; none of the window either. It really works; zaino polish is going to look great over top a spot and smear free surface.
Old 03-06-2004, 04:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MONGOOS
I see water spots on your back bumper.
hehe....i think a few drops didnt dry up yet when i took the pic. They are gone now and it didnt leave any spots.
Old 03-06-2004, 08:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried it today too, and it actually worked better than I expected. Now don't get me wrong...it's NOT going to be on par with washing your car the old fashioned way, but it exceeded my expectations. I thought there would still be mega spotting, but for the most part, there were none, even my mirrors and windows. I think next time I'll fill my bucket with the wash solution so I can just dump the sponge in there instead of having to constantly spray it. Also, I'll make sure I really water it down more on the filtered setting. My car was pretty clean to begin with too, so that may have had something to do with it. The biggest drawback was waiting to let it dry. Since it's still about 50degrees here, after a 1/2 hr in the shade, the car still wasn't dry. It's kind of hard just waiting for your car to dry while thinking it's going to be covered in spots. I was also ready to take it for a cruise.

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with the kit and would use it again...just maybe not all the time.
Old 03-06-2004, 09:32 PM
Gev
TECH Addict

I wonder which part of the system is it that keeps the spots off?

I have a water softening system I can use at home. Will it leave my car spot-free as well?
Old 03-06-2004, 11:59 PM
Teching In

according to proctor and gamble there are polymers in the soap they use that does the trick. Dunno though.....if the water had absolutely no minerals in it there wouldnt be anything left that would cause a water spot.
Old 03-07-2004, 11:32 AM
12 Second Club

It works pretty fuggin good. Id like a sudsier soap, but theres not a spot on that bitch. You just have to wait for the goddam thing to dry!
Old 03-07-2004, 11:39 AM
10 Second Club

We carry it at my work on sale right now for 13.88 and i get 20% on top of that, so i guess ill give it a try.
Old 03-07-2004, 03:05 PM
Chop-Foo Director

Yeah, I gave it a try today as well. Worked out pretty good if you ask me.
Used the water spray to keep rinsing my sponge, no need for a bucket!
I like it.
Old 03-07-2004, 06:00 PM
Teching In

n e one have the commercial of the supercharged charger and the other car for the mr. clean product. or know where to find it.

Quick Reply: Mr. Clean AutoDry Carwash