Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4th Gen T/A seats into 2nd Gen T/A

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 08:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Question 4th Gen T/A seats into 2nd Gen T/A

I just made hell of a deal on an engine and tranny combo with a guy that is parting out a 4th Gen T/A, and for the price I will be getting the engine for, I couldn't resist to ask about his tan leather interior for my 2nd Gen T/A. Just curious as I have seen a few 2nd Gen cars on here with 4th Gen seats.

Anyway what does it take to make the 4th Gen seats to work on a 2nd Gen?
Old 04-12-2010, 04:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For mine all I did was position the seat in the middle of the track and then place it approximately where I would be sitting. Then I just drilled the holes and cut spacers that would fit between the floorpan and bracket. Ran a bolt through and nutted it up on the bottom. If you wanted to get fancy you could probably tack the nut on the underside of the car so all you had to do was run the bolt down.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ulakovic22
For mine all I did was position the seat in the middle of the track and then place it approximately where I would be sitting. Then I just drilled the holes and cut spacers that would fit between the floorpan and bracket. Ran a bolt through and nutted it up on the bottom. If you wanted to get fancy you could probably tack the nut on the underside of the car so all you had to do was run the bolt down.
That's pretty much what I was thinking but wasnt sure if it would work ok. What did you use as spacers? I was thinking of using washers. Thanks.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:25 AM
Launching!

I think you will run into issues, there is no reinforcement, and eventually it will wear through... I just dropped some into my 66 GTO and luckly the 2 front matched up and the 2 rears only needed a 2inch offset bracket.

I have another set of 4th Gen T/A seats Im dropping in as well into my 1975 T/A.. But Im going to make sure Im on a reinforced beam, or weld some in..

just my 2 cents.. until Obama takes half..
Old 04-15-2010, 08:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by qnitro
I think you will run into issues, there is no reinforcement, and eventually it will wear through... I just dropped some into my 66 GTO and luckly the 2 front matched up and the 2 rears only needed a 2inch offset bracket.

I have another set of 4th Gen T/A seats Im dropping in as well into my 1975 T/A.. But Im going to make sure Im on a reinforced beam, or weld some in..

just my 2 cents.. until Obama takes half..
Like what type of issues?
Old 04-16-2010, 08:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I *think* you can reuse your original seat tracks... but don't quote me on that! LOL
Old 04-16-2010, 09:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jaysz28
I *think* you can reuse your original seat tracks... but don't quote me on that! LOL
That is what the guy I bought them from told me. So I might just give it a try that way. The only thing is that the driver side seat was hard to get out from my second gen so I had to break one of the bolts out and it fu**ed up the track.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:11 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by zamora7
Like what type of issues?
The issue is, when the factory drops seats into a car, they are bolted into a reinforced area. This is because of the wait and bouncing we do getting in and out, plus driving around, and if god forbid your in a accident, they are secure mounting points to hold the seats down. If you were to just drill holes and mount them, this is just basic sheet metal, you will have very little reinforcing, and possibly could do harm to you or you passenger if you in a accident, plus, the ware, without a reinforcing point, WILL give at some point, and will leave you with a bigger hole.. Do your self a favor, tank the seats to a shop and ask them to mount them with a reinforcing beam or someting along this lines.

Hope this helps.. I know when I drop my seats in I will be doing it.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by qnitro
The issue is, when the factory drops seats into a car, they are bolted into a reinforced area. This is because of the wait and bouncing we do getting in and out, plus driving around, and if god forbid your in a accident, they are secure mounting points to hold the seats down. If you were to just drill holes and mount them, this is just basic sheet metal, you will have very little reinforcing, and possibly could do harm to you or you passenger if you in a accident, plus, the ware, without a reinforcing point, WILL give at some point, and will leave you with a bigger hole.. Do your self a favor, tank the seats to a shop and ask them to mount them with a reinforcing beam or someting along this lines.

Hope this helps.. I know when I drop my seats in I will be doing it.
Got you. Hadn't thought about that but I'll make sure that it gets reinforced. Thanks.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:31 PM
TECH Resident

I used washers at first and then cut them out of dowl rods, either way they end up under the carpet so it doesn't matter. IIRC I used one existing hole and drilled the others. As far as strength goes, I never had an issue. I only had the car for 5 years before it got totaled and I didn't have an issue with seats flying out when the guy hit me
Old 04-22-2010, 06:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ulakovic22
I used washers at first and then cut them out of dowl rods, either way they end up under the carpet so it doesn't matter. IIRC I used one existing hole and drilled the others. As far as strength goes, I never had an issue. I only had the car for 5 years before it got totaled and I didn't have an issue with seats flying out when the guy hit me
Damn, it sucks that your car got totaled. I think I might weld some adapter or bracket to use the same rails from the 4th gen and reuse the existing holes.