Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

98-02 Ground effects on 93-97 Camaro.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 11:04 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98-02 Ground effects on 93-97 Camaro.

Well guys here it is my 1996 Camaro RS, I know its not a LT1 or LS1 but it gets the job done just fine. First thing is first let me share alittle bit about the history of the car.

When I first bought it this was your plain jane Hard Top basic camaro and I changed all of that with a one of a kind T-Top conversion. It had a ton of problems but I've managed to fix through all of them.

I originally wanted the 93-97 Ground effects package for the car but after searching around for them I found out quickly they were outragous in price. Also I didn't like the front lip especially for out here in Colorado Springs where the road conditions aren't to good. We have a lot of pot holes and many areas around town with construction so the front lip was not an option but I still wanted to make the car look "Complete" rather than delete it.

A guy out in Denver had a par of ground effects for sale at $300 which came off his 98 Z28. So I traveled up there on spring break to go get em and brought them back with me. I must say they where in great shape other than the two front canard peices which will need a complete resand and surface.

Sorry for the qualitly of the pics I do not have a high grade camera and this is all I can do at the moment.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:23 AM
Staging Lane

The Rear lip from the LS1 will bolt right into the LT1 bumper and so will the side skirts without a problem at all. We had to order some body fastners and 3m tape but other than that everything works just fine.

The front canards will requre alittle science

I've test fitted them a few times and even turn them upside down

In order for this to work on your LT1 front bumper you will need A lot of Patience and a heat gun. This will only work with urathane ground effects, I highly doubt it will be this easy with a fiberglass kit to do.

You'll have to make a minor cut on the inside of the aero peices somewhere on the middle. Once you mount it into the wheel well simply take your heat gun and mold it to the contour of the bumper. Repeat the same process on the otherside and it should look like this.

It gave my car the facelift it needed all for under $300 on my $500 dollar budget. I went out and bought me a Freedom Wing off Amazon.com for $127 including shipping! so I'm at $427!. Not only is this is unique one off body kit but its getting me closer to my goal of building a ZL1 Replica

I really liked the car before they did the 98 front end conversion on it.

Next I need to do paint work on it. Sadly every shop locally wants at least 4 grand for paint!.

I've thought about doing the rustoleum paint job to it but I'm highly inexperienced with body and paint work. I don't know how to do it.

I was looking to painting it Buick Grand National black or if the money permits TVR Speed 12 blue.

Right now I'm sporting a 2 ton silver It actually looks okay kind of reminds me of the 1980's Irocs but thats not what I'm shooting for.

But it certainly stands out from the typical RS ground effects you'd see on a 93-97. Not to mention I feel more confident driving around on Colorado Springs roads with all these Potholes and F'ed up roads we have here without the fear of losing my whole front end. It does very wheel even in light snow conditions, hell I've even driven it on a country dirt road and didn't have an issue. No scrapping, No scratches. It gives me the look I want.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:56 PM
On The Tree

I love seeing work like this. You have a cool conversion going on there VF1. Keep us updated on the progress!
Old 04-11-2010, 04:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

love RS on 93-97 camaro but am not a fan of ur 98 on 97 front RS it doesnt look right...i'd say u get LT1 front RS but make sure its the original and it has the wholes on coz it will heat up ur car lol
Old 04-11-2010, 04:27 PM
TECH Addict

and yea think abt getting some wide rims it will look killer belive me lol my friend had an LT1 looks jst like your but vert. ill post a pic
Attached Thumbnails 98-02 Ground effects on 93-97 Camaro.-20091007283.jpg   98-02 Ground effects on 93-97 Camaro.-20091122563.jpg  
Old 04-11-2010, 08:39 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by omarrakeen
love RS on 93-97 camaro but am not a fan of ur 98 on 97 front RS it doesnt look right...i'd say u get LT1 front RS but make sure its the original and it has the wholes on coz it will heat up ur car lol
I don't think it will retain any heat.

It works a hell of a lot better than the stock RS front lip. That I can tell you straight up. Especially when there's many pot holes locally, I couldn't have picked a better application than my design.

and yea think abt getting some wide rims it will look killer belive me lol my friend had an LT1 looks jst like your but vert. ill post a pic
Ill see when it gets back from paint what I'm going to do b/c I like the salad shooters, I wouldn't mind painting them black or copper. All I have found for this car locally so far has been Corvette rims and I do not want to go that route. I do want to increase the volume around the wheel wells like your friends car and wheel spacers might be a possiblitly for my car.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:20 AM
TECH Addict

mmm may b where u live is a bit cold area belive me where i live a camaro WONT survive if it has a front LT1 groud effects i had a V6 before with grounds i had to direct wiree the fans but then i had to remove it coz it over heated many times and now its fine lol anyway gd luck with ur car show us how shes gna look in the end
Old 04-12-2010, 12:27 PM
12 Second Club

I think the 98+ front pieces look great on your car, nice job. And that was a heck of a deal on the gfx
Old 04-12-2010, 03:49 PM
Staging Lane

mmm may b where u live is a bit cold area belive me where i live a camaro WONT survive if it has a front LT1 groud effects i had a V6 before with grounds i had to direct wiree the fans but then i had to remove it coz it over heated many times and now its fine lol anyway gd luck with ur car show us how shes gna look in the end
Hey man anytime you wanna trade places id love to come out to Dubai. I've always wanted to check that place out. Up here we get snow pretty much all year round even in June!.

With the summer coming up we often get over 90 degrees in July on avarage so we will see if it will heatup or not.

Originally Posted by black_sheep454
I think the 98+ front pieces look great on your car, nice job. And that was a heck of a deal on the gfx
Yeah that day was fun traveling up to Denver to go get em. I had the T-Top's off and it was a very nice and sunny day. I dropped by the Lamborghini of Denver on the way hope to see my dream car. For now the ZL1 Replica will do just fine.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:20 PM
TECH Addict

lool i wish! dubai is a cool place for vacations am bored of living here and the weather is so freaking HOT and hummid it sucks in summer...
Old 04-14-2010, 10:17 PM
Staging Lane

lool i wish! dubai is a cool place for vacations am bored of living here and the weather is so freaking HOT and hummid it sucks in summer...
Anytime you wanna trade places with me in september until may of next year for cold weather just let me know.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:29 PM
TECH Junkie

nice job those peices look great on there

Quick Reply: 98-02 Ground effects on 93-97 Camaro.