Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

not really happy with audio pipes

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 04:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default not really happy with audio pipes

I recently bought some speakers from Kee Audio. Ian helped me pick out some door speakers that fit my budget and they sound amazing. I haven't gotten the JVC speakers in the hatch yet but my friend put them in his formula and he said they sound awesome. I bought the audio pipe speakers since Ian was out of bazookas. I didn't have a problem buying these because I had heard good things from other people on here. I installed them and that was a pain in the ***. I couldn't get any clips to work so I ended up having to cut out some MDF rings to mount the speakers on. I finally got them in and played some rap music and the bass sounded funny. I started messing around with the bass settings on my alpine head unit since I figured maybe they needed to be adjusted but that wasn't fixing anything. Rock music and country music sounds fine, but rap music the bass sounds funny. Almost like the speaker is broken but I know they are not because I know what that would sound like. Just not what I was expecting. I wish I would have made my order a week later when he got some bazookas in. This isn't a bash on Kee Audio at all as Ian's service was great. This is more of a review of the audio pipes.

Just my .02
Old 04-11-2010, 05:56 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you put anything between the MDF and the sheet metal? When I ordered some speaker rings from Ian, he recommended at least putting some sound deadening between the two to separate them...either that or I completely misunderstood him.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:48 PM

I got them too for the sail pannel's and one of the speakers came loose from where it is glued to the metal and made a bad vibration sound.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:22 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The Audiopipe subs don't require spacers of any kind. At worst you may have to reposition one or two of the screw holes but most can just angle the screws into the existing holes.

It sounds like you might have the wires connected incorrectly. The Camaro Monsoon amp is designed to power a 2-ohm sub in each sail panel. The Audiopipes are dual voice coil 4-ohm speakers. You have to connect both positive terminals and both negative terminals together on each speaker to produce the expected 2-ohm load for the amp.

Bear in mind that the result should be better than the stock speakers but there is no way it will compare to a larger sub with separate amp. And there is a reason that the Bazookas are less expensive - you get what you pay for. Properly connected, the Audiopipes are better than the Bazookas despite their popularity.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:59 PM
Staging Lane

It seems as if you dont have them low passed, the sounds you are hearing may be the speaker bottoming out.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:47 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
The Audiopipe subs don't require spacers of any kind. At worst you may have to reposition one or two of the screw holes but most can just angle the screws into the existing holes.

It sounds like you might have the wires connected incorrectly. The Camaro Monsoon amp is designed to power a 2-ohm sub in each sail panel. The Audiopipes are dual voice coil 4-ohm speakers. You have to connect both positive terminals and both negative terminals together on each speaker to produce the expected 2-ohm load for the amp.

Bear in mind that the result should be better than the stock speakers but there is no way it will compare to a larger sub with separate amp. And there is a reason that the Bazookas are less expensive - you get what you pay for. Properly connected, the Audiopipes are better than the Bazookas despite their popularity.
Actually Ian gets more for the bazookas. I believe they are 109 compared to 89 for the audiopipes.

I saw something on here about running the speakers in a parallel and that's what I did. Meaning I ran the positive and negative to one side, then soldered in two cables that go across and connect to the other + and - on the other side.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:05 PM
Teching In

I have these in my 02 TA in the sails as well. I have mine wired up like stock with the connector. Not sure how long you have had them installed, but with all speakers they have to be broken in. I almost had my bass all the way down just so they sounded right, but now I have it back to the middle setting on the equalizer. The rubber in the speaker has to soften up, also make sure that the screws are not pinching the rubber around the speaker, if it is it could rip and then you have to get a new speaker. Lastly, if your main music is rap, you'll benefit from a good extra sub in the rear.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have them and they need to be broken in,atleast that was my case. They sounded like crap when I installed them and I have secondskin lining the inside of the speaker cavity. I then used foam tape in between the speaker and the sheet metal and that made a huge difference.I also coverered the screw holes on the front with foil tape that is used for heating and air condition ducts to help seal things up.I just had to angle my screws to get them to line up with the factory holes.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:57 PM
11 Second Club

I pretty much listen to a mix of everything, so I don't think a sub is needed. I'll try breaking them in since I've barley driven the car.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by davered00ss
I got them too for the sail pannel's and one of the speakers came loose from where it is glued to the metal and made a bad vibration sound.
same here... got some bazookas and no probs since
Old 04-12-2010, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by davered00ss
IDK really but to me the problem sounds like this . bad news
Old 04-13-2010, 11:29 AM
Banned

With the TS-V6 I had some issues here and there with the spiders coming loose. The performance was fine for what they are. In fact they are more closely matched to the stock amp power rating so performance was actually pretty good. They have since come out with a new design with the TS-VR6 and I haven't had any issues so far. They also have a larger surround for slightly more surface area from the cone. They still have the same screw in terminals as well.
With the Bazookas I've never had one come back due to manufacturer defect. They have been absolutely bullet proof since day one. They also can handle more power...about double the output of the Audiopipes. Not a huge deal as far as stock output goes but they do put up with more abuse without issue.
As far as price difference...the Audiopipes cost me less so they are less. The Bazookas cost me almost double what the Audiopipes do....but as you can see I do not charge double for them. I try to keep the prices as reasonable as I can.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:55 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

My mistake on the price... I saw that the Bazookas were $115/pair on Ian's site and the Audiopipes were $89. It didn't/doesn't say "per pair" so I assumed that was the unit price.

Quick Reply: not really happy with audio pipes