Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC Compressor Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 08:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Default AC Compressor Question

My son and I are coming around the home stretch of a 1966 GTO frame off rebuild. We have an LQ9 engine / T56 and we are in the process of installing a Vintage Air Gen IV unit. I would like to use the AC compressor that was on the engine (I notched the frame when we were setting the engine up, so using the GM Compressor is not a problem). I've searched these threads, and have not found a definitive answer as to whether or not this will work. In addition to saving quite a bit of money, using this compressor will help keep the top of the engine bay “clean”.

All help is appreciated!
Old 04-12-2010, 09:25 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am at that same place, who did your harness? is it a stock harness? What I understand, which is very limited is the stock harness/pcm supply's a ground for the compressor so you will need a relay and hook up the wire on the harness to the ground of the relay, everything else should be normal. I have Old Air which is very similar to Vintage. If you find something out let me know please.

Clyde65
Old 04-12-2010, 11:21 AM
Launching!

it is a variable compressor. if you are running vintage air etc. you will need a fixed, like a sanden sd7. the variable might work and poeple on this forum say they have had luck w/theirs working, but a fixed compressor is recommended.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:17 PM
Teching In

Default GM Compressor

I used a new GM compressor from Auto Value. It is fixed displacement ( recommended by Vintage Air ) The part Number is XCG FMP-15-22144. They are not cheap but work properly.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:25 PM
Teching In

Default GM Compressor Again

BTW, I believe the difference between the compressors is the variable displacement compressors are used with climate contol and the fixed are the standard air applications. I am not 100% on this so if someone knows better please correct me.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try this you can do it. I am going to run my Vintage air with my LS1 compressor. I have it installed but have not gotten the car on the road yet too many other projects taking my time...
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ble-fixed.html
Old 04-13-2010, 12:57 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Jim Maras
I used a new GM compressor from Auto Value. It is fixed displacement ( recommended by Vintage Air ) The part Number is XCG FMP-15-22144. They are not cheap but work properly.
Jim, do you have a link (p/n search on Bumper-to-Bumper site did not come up with anything) and/or a x-reference to that p/n to any other brands? Do you know if this is the Vortec compressor? Thanks. -Bob http://www.800autotalk.com/showpage....enu=store.menu
Old 04-13-2010, 06:57 AM
On The Tree

Thanks everyone for your comments. This site has always been such a help!

69 Ghost - Could you check the link you posted? It does not appear to work. I spoke to the shop manager at a large Chevy dealer in Memphis yesterday afternoon about my project. He said the LS series compressors were variable, but it would be possible to convert to fixed by changing/reworking a valve. He also said the earlier (Vortex/LT) compressors were fixed, but that doesn't really help me.

Clyde65 - I did my own harness. I used a harness from a 2001 truck (my son wanted "drive by cable"), added wires for the electric fans controls and the reverse lock out, then had the 0411 truck computer reprogrammed to that of a 2001 camaro. Glad to see you got your engine running properly. I was lucky, the injectors on my engine worked properly, but on an earlier swap, I had to replace the set to get the engine to run right.

Last edited by RicOtt; 04-13-2010 at 07:24 AM.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:04 AM
Teching In

Bob, I believe the part number is GM,s part number. Auto Value gave me the choice between rebuilt, several different brands and new GM. I went with the GM. I am guessing you'll have to call a store to have the GM choice. Jim
Old 04-13-2010, 04:07 PM
On The Tree

Additional research shows that the compressor I was planning to use is from a 1999 to 2002 chevy truck, and is a Delphi HU6. This is a variable compressor, but does anyone know the maximum Cubic Inches (or cubic Centimeters) of this compressor? Vintage Air recommends a compressor with 8.5 cubic inches (139 Cubic Centimeters) as the optimum size. Other Delphi variable compressors (newer ones where there is a chart) range from 7.5 cubic inches to 12. If anyone could identify the size, it appears this compressor can be made to work.

If anyone knows a reference source that would have this info, I don't mind paying for access (Alldata?)

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:51 AM
Launching!

Any update on this? I have a vintage air unit going into my 63 grand sport with a 06 ls2/T56. Wanted to keep the stock compressor in the stock location. There has got to be some fixed compressors with similar mounting holes that we could swap in?

Im not a fan of running the AC compressor with the other accessories. I had a sanden from Hot Rod Air and the clutch when out on my last build. Shredded my belt and stranded me. This may be an odd occurence, but it definitely can happen. I guess I could fab a sanden to fit in the stock location. Thoughts?

Quick Reply: AC Compressor Question