Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Shop bent my control arm installing ball joints

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 09:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Shop bent my control arm installing ball joints

So against my better judgment I took my front lower control arms to a local shop press in new ball joints that I provided, all that was needed was to press them in, easy right? NOPE! As you can see in the pics the driver side got bent. I picked them up after work today and by the time I got home and started working on the car and noticed the problem, the shop was closed. I plan on going back tomorrow to get it fixed, though after that I dont trust their work. And if that wasnt bad enough, they also put a hole in the boot that was installed wrong ("mount inboard" was mounted outboard).

So the question is, can I heat it up with a torch and bend it back? Will that weaken the arm? I did try it on the car as is and it doesnt allow full droop or I would have just gone with it. I know the only way it will see full droop is to do some dukes of hazzard jumps but I still dont like the idea of it.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Attached Thumbnails Shop bent my control arm installing ball joints-p1050309.jpg   Shop bent my control arm installing ball joints-p1050310.jpg   Shop bent my control arm installing ball joints-p1050311.jpg   Shop bent my control arm installing ball joints-p1050313.jpg  
Old 04-12-2010, 09:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

i did mine myself.....without the GM ball J holder you end up smushing it a little......but yours is worse than mine
Old 04-13-2010, 09:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sorry to see and hear what that shop did to you control arm. I had a local shop do mine but I have done business with them in the past and fully trust them, ER Automotive in Cedar Park TX. The guy basically put the control arm in a vise and used a Snap-On C-clamp style press. My lower arms were just fine but he took special care with my uppers to keep the lips from bending. I would take them back and make them fix them. Using a little heat should not hurt them but if too much is used it will distort and weaken the metal. As far as the boot goes, see if an auto parts store can get you a replacement.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

i tried to do mine with that C clamp style press.....would not work....end up using a big press.......which was the PITA....how do you hold and support while trying to press the crap outta it....jerry rigged a setup and got them out

Last edited by sjsingle1; 04-13-2010 at 05:55 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies.

I called the shop this morning and they put the guy on that actually did the work. He tried the C clamp and then had to use a big press. He said he knew it was bent but thought it was cosmetic. I could tell that he was not surprised, he knew I would come back. Anyways he first offered my money back but I wanted an arm and for a redo and he agreed so they are finding one from a local yard and hopefully I will have it back tomorrow.

I am happy they didnt try to argue but it is frustrating that they gave it to me knowing it was scrap, but I'll be content if they make it right and I just wont go back. Too bad too, because they have Kuhmo Exsta V700's for 146 a piece 275/40/17 and I want a set!
Old 04-13-2010, 05:30 PM
TECH Addict

if they made it right like that for me i probably would return. but you're right, that would **** me off they didn't tell me up front
Old 04-13-2010, 05:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

if i did a lot of joints.........i would be buying that GM tool
Old 04-14-2010, 08:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I used the loan a tool from Advance that is a pretty good kit but these lower arms just have a funky angle thats hard to get at, so I took them in to avoid messing it up, go figure. I removed the old ones, then pressed in one and it was snug but not super tight so I thought about welding a bead on it but figured I would take it to "the pros" yea shoulda just did it myself and I would be driving by now.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

i would of still drove on it. but its your car
Old 04-15-2010, 09:25 AM
TECH Resident

What part of va are you from? I am Richmond was this in the richmond area?
Old 04-15-2010, 12:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I had some done a while back at a local shop with no issues. I guess some shops are better then others.......
Old 04-16-2010, 09:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by goldmecham
i would of still drove on it. but its your car
I thought about it, but I drive a lot and hard on the street plus some drag, autox events and I want to try HPDE so uneven suspension isnt something I want to deal with.

Originally Posted by Z284U2TRY
What part of va are you from? I am Richmond was this in the richmond area?
No, north of Richmond

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
I had some done a while back at a local shop with no issues. I guess some shops are better then others.......
Yea and even good shops have bad days. I think that was the case here. I got another arm with a brand new Moog ball joint, to replace the broken boot so all in all I'm happy with it, I had some down time but back on the road now so no big deal.

Quick Reply: Shop bent my control arm installing ball joints