Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

two problems i can't solve!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 07:59 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default two problems i can't solve!

ok i have an ls1\t56 in my rx7. everything was fine until i took it to the shop to get the exhaust welded. I got home and i noticed my volts gauge was hanging around 12 volts. that was last monday, i went to start the car on sunday and it was a tough rough start. i hooked up a volt meter to check the exact number and it was at 11.59 with the motor on. i reved it up a little and saw my volts drop down to 11.37 back to idle back to 11.59. I turned the car off and took the altenator off took it to a starter and altenator shop and they let it run for 5 mins and it was give an output of 14.6 volts. came home checked the signal from the pcm to the altenator and it was reading 11.53. what could be wrong here? i have a ground from the frame to the motor and its actually on the altenator bracket.
the motor is from a 2002 vette, trans 2001 f body, wiring harness and pcm is from a 98 fbody (i found out to late that the 98 harness and pcm is not the best) again everything was working perfect until i had the exhaust welded at the shop

problem two
i have a nice sqeaking sound coming from somewhere and i can't put my finger on it. I thought it was my belt so i took the belt off started the car and it was still there. i only let the car run for like 10 seconds with the belt off. Now i followed the steps from ls1howto.com on how to put the front timing cover on because i changed my seals on the timing chain cover and i had to change my crank pulley from a vette pulley to an fbody pulley. the sound is coming from the front of the motor for sure but i can't tell from where. the odd thing is if i rev the motor the sound doesn't change i stepped on the clutch the sound doesn't stop so its not the throw out bearing. and its now a bearing issue because i have at idle on the oil pressure gauge between the 25 and 50 on my autometer gauge and when i rev it up it goes to 50 so i don't think its a bearing in the motor. any ideas?
Old 04-13-2010, 08:09 AM
On The Tree

Issue # 1

If they didn't disconnect the battery and the PCM prior to welding they may have fried the diodes in the alternator or damaged the PCM charging circuit. Generally when you start welding you want to disconnect the battery and pull the PCM to prevent this. When they ground out the welder on the frame or another ground point on the car to start welding you can blow some **** if it's not disconnected.

Issue # 2

Could be the alternator bearings or the oil pump is starting to die.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:16 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by usmcz28
Issue # 1

If they didn't disconnect the battery and the PCM prior to welding they may have fried the diodes in the alternator or damaged the PCM charging circuit. Generally when you start welding you want to disconnect the battery and pull the PCM to prevent this. When they ground out the welder on the frame or another ground point on the car to start welding you can blow some **** if it's not disconnected.

Issue # 2

Could be the alternator bearings or the oil pump is starting to die.
yeah i am not sure if they took the battery off line i have a battery kill switch i should of turned it off before i rolled it in the garage but the signal is there with the key on. i took the one wire plug on the top of the altenator off and tested for volts and it was reading 11.53 so it is sending a signal.
for issue to it can't be the altenator bearing if i took the belt off and its still making the sound. but the oil pump might be it i have never heard an oil pump die before so i am not sure of the sound
Old 04-13-2010, 11:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If your alternator checked out at the alternator shop then it is probably OK. Maybe something got disconnected or shorted to ground when the shop did the exhaust. Do some continuity tests on the alternator wiring.

It might be a stretch but I wonder if your low voltage issue could have anything to do with the oil pressure gauge being off? Maybe check it with another guage?
Old 04-13-2010, 01:31 PM
On The Tree

I seem to recall having the same alternator problem. I believe you have to have the charging indicator light in the circuit for it to start charging. Either that or a resistor.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:49 PM
TECH Regular

You need to provide +12VDC switched to the alternator exciter circuit. I can't remember which pin it is on but it is 3 or 4 pin connector on the back of the alternator.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
If your alternator checked out at the alternator shop then it is probably OK. Maybe something got disconnected or shorted to ground when the shop did the exhaust. Do some continuity tests on the alternator wiring.

It might be a stretch but I wonder if your low voltage issue could have anything to do with the oil pressure gauge being off? Maybe check it with another guage?
i took off all the gauges from there sources just to check and see and still the same results, i did how ever plug the gauges back in and the oil pressure went right up like normal. so i am not sure. as for the continuity test on the altenator wiring what should i see there? i was told about adding a resistor to the wire but i am not to sure what to look for yet
Originally Posted by dpd069
I seem to recall having the same alternator problem. I believe you have to have the charging indicator light in the circuit for it to start charging. Either that or a resistor.
what did you do to fix your problem?
Originally Posted by NO CATZZ
You need to provide +12VDC switched to the alternator exciter circuit. I can't remember which pin it is on but it is 3 or 4 pin connector on the back of the alternator.
well the wire is getting 11.53 volts as of right now, i am sure its wired right only because i am using the gm harness and it did work on the old altenator.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:04 PM
Launching!

ok so i was cleaning the garage and i looked at my fc and i said ok let me give it a little TLC and see whats going on. i traced every wire i could think of. but before i did that i checked my battery i had it on the charger since sunday and i took it off the battery tender on wedsday and i got a reading of 13.22 unplugged the battery tender from it and checked it today and i had 13.25 so that means the battery is holding a charge thats a good thing for me. So after tracing my wires i couldn't find anything wrong with it. So i took the ground off that i had on the driver side and the motor didn't start, we all knew that was going to happen. So i put on a new(newer) ground from an old sound system i took out. Its a 0 gauge ground wire hooked it up to the frame of the car and to the alt bracket where the 15mm bolt is it started right up and i got this as a reading!

one problem down one more to go!!
Old 04-17-2010, 07:07 PM
Launching!

ok so today since i fixed my alt i was able to let the car run for a while and i went under the car and it sounded like it was coming from the crank pulley. So i turned the car off and i took a wrench to the crank bolt and with almost no force the bolt came right out. so i said to myself let me see if the sound is still there. started the car and the sound was gone! so i ordered an arp bolt should be here this week!!
Old 04-17-2010, 08:00 PM
Launching!

lol glad you figured your stuff out. when are you gonna take the beast for a ride?
Old 04-17-2010, 09:28 PM
Launching!

well i ordered that new arp bolt and ordered a new crank pulley i don't want to take any chances. i am going to wire up the gauges put my interior back together and hope for next weekend to be out having some fun!
Old 04-18-2010, 09:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome... doing my gauges today.

Seems there's to much confusion as to the charging issues w/ these swaps. I'm hoping that the resistors in line w/ the charge circuit to the alt w/ square away my charging and amp draw issues.

I'm hoping to have this as a potential DD by june, should be road testing w/in the next week.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:17 PM
Launching!

good luck with yours man i have not touched mine since sunday when i fixed the charging issue. i am going to try to work on it this week i want to go to a big event this weekend
Old 04-20-2010, 05:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by V8 FC
good luck with yours man i have not touched mine since sunday when i fixed the charging issue. i am going to try to work on it this week i want to go to a big event this weekend
Get to Somic early, I don't see where they're going to have room to be parking many cars
Old 04-20-2010, 09:07 AM
TECH Regular

are we talking about the pocono sonic?
Old 04-20-2010, 07:59 PM
Launching!

whats going on at sonic?
Old 04-20-2010, 08:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by poconojoe
Get to Somic early, I don't see where they're going to have room to be parking many cars
Originally Posted by 73 nova guy
are we talking about the pocono sonic?
Originally Posted by awd-rwd racer
whats going on at sonic?
i wasn't planning on going to sonic at all its another car club event i wanted to go to but it looks like i will be taking my bike there..lol and ryan its not the pocono sonic its a sonic near philly
Old 04-21-2010, 12:01 AM
TECH Regular

i wasn't planning on going to sonic at all its another car club event i wanted to go to but it looks like i will be taking my bike there..lol and ryan its not the pocono sonic its a sonic near philly
i herd about this one near philly. i thought about going to the one near me but not likely ill make it.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:21 AM
Banned

Pocono Sonic is Saturday, the other one is Sunday

If you have facebook
http://www.poconosonicmeet.2ya.com/

The other one is in Morgantown,PA
Old 04-21-2010, 09:30 PM
Launching!

lol why i would i go to a truck meet..lol but thanks

Quick Reply: two problems i can't solve!