Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Trans Am Wing Skin Separating

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 09:05 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans Am Wing Skin Separating

The wing on my 97 TransAm has started to rattle. I thought maybe a bolt was loose, but it turns out the skin on the wing is separating from its self on one side. It about a 4inch separation. Its coming apart at the seam and when I go over bumps in the road it rattles. Any suggestions on how to remedy this? Glue? Epoxy? Im worried one day it will completely separate and the top of the wing will fly off when Im driving down the road.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:19 PM
Launching!

So I take it this is not where it bolts down with studs and nuts you tighten from pulling down the plastic trim when you open the hatch. I had to do a similar bonding job to my car after someone tried to break into it. No, they were not successfull. They tried both sides and gave up, but not before separating the door skin from the door. I rebonded it with this:

http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?p...&dept%5Fid=127

It has always worked well for me. I realize it is for a corvette, but it is still a good bonding agent. On my car it was used on an area that is constantly being pulled on, and it is holding strong. Autobody supply stores have products for this, but they are really expensive. Just use some clamps to hold it while it sets up.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:33 PM
Teching In

Here is a pic of where mine is coming apart at the seam. Im not sure how I could get clamps on it. Maybe lay a towel over the wing and set a few books on it to hold it down? And Im not sure how to get the glue in there without prying the rest of the wing apart.
Attached Thumbnails Trans Am Wing Skin Separating-wing.jpg