Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

New Here, Did I Screw Up ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 08:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Here, Did I Screw Up ?

I've been drag racing a long time.. so know a little, but here is what I did... I have an 05 C6 with an (A4) 3.15 rear... With MT Drag Radials, I've run a best of 12.08 @ 115 but wasn't getting may runs out of a set of MT...

Now being I'm stock (Tune by Cartek, & Vararam only) I thought I'd try Nitto (not the new soft compound) I bought a pair of 305/35x18's of the original compound... I know this is NOT as soft as the MT but I'm thinking I'm not making that much HP my 60' are about 1.85 - 1.88 so I was hoping I'd get more runs from the Nitto with a harder compound...

I still have the MT's on as they will be good for two more weeks... BTW I have to drive 100 miles each way to & from the track...

PS I have been lurking & this looks like a pretty nice forum....

Tkx...jpee
Old 04-13-2010, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

My buddy with nitto's cut a 1.69 60' time. It will take some practice tho.
He had a full exhaust and CAI on his C5Z.

Nittos will vary depending on how you drive the car on the roads. If you take it easy you should be able to get 8-10k miles out of them.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:51 PM
Staging Lane

im sure that 200 miles per trip doesnt help much lol
Old 04-13-2010, 09:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MiamiFan4Sho
im sure that 200 miles per trip doesnt help much lol
I agree but at my age changing tires is "Not" an option....I did try Nittos on my old C4 it was a high 11 sec car (11.92) and they did hook if I did a good burn out... but now if I do a big burn out I'm just defeating the purpose of getting a harder compound tire...

I'll try one set to see if they work, if not I'll have to spend the $$ for MT..

I race in the Corvette Challenge a 10 race series... but do race Mean Street or Gamblers on off weeks... I guess it's just the cost of racing... Cant give it up now....
Old 04-19-2010, 02:55 PM
Teching In

you have to smoke the nittos to get them to hook.nittos are better for road driving in rain.say on your way to and from the track.mt can be very scary on wet roads but man do they hook even if you miss the burnout.personally i would prefer mt.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 00ls6camaro
you have to smoke the nittos to get them to hook.nittos are better for road driving in rain.say on your way to and from the track.mt can be very scary on wet roads but man do they hook even if you miss the burnout.personally i would prefer mt.
I agree 100% The MT will "HOOK" even on a marginal track... I'm not making "THAT" much HP.. (I'm only a low 12 sec car... I'm hoping to get by using Nittos only because I might get more life out of them, & as you say I have a 100 mile drive home & if I hit rain the Nittos are better..

If I see I'm spinning I'll for sure go back to MT !!

Quick Reply: New Here, Did I Screw Up ?