Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car backfiring after header install

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 08:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car backfiring after header install

Installed headers, ory, magnaflo catback, ported tb, new 55 plugs, mail order tune(Frost), deleted air and egr. Install went smooth with no issues. Car fired right up and idled nice and smooth. Apon test drive, under hard acceleration the car slighty jerks and backfires rapidly like a machine gun. Car has great power but i dont think its up to it full potential. Hooked up my handheld code reader,(not an expensive one) but was suprised to see no numerical codes. But... the yellow light came on meaning there is a possible problem. Three flashing icons showed up: "OH" Oxygen Sensor Heater Monitor, "EV" Evaporative System Monitor, and "O" Oxygen System Monitor. I checked all possible lines and wire connections to make sure i didnt unplug something accidently. Everything looks ok. Car seems to get worse as it gets warmer. Can somebody point me in the right direction, Iam stumped with the codes it is giving me. Thanks in advance
Old 04-14-2010, 10:09 AM
On The Tree

I have the EVAP incomplete too after I installed headers. Anyway, does your service engine light blink?
Old 04-14-2010, 10:19 AM
12 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

In the tune were the back 02 tuned out?
Old 04-14-2010, 06:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ICRAZY6
In the tune were the back 02 tuned out?
Yes they were, same for the air and egr. Could it be a bad wire or plug? I am just assuming the code reader would have thrown a misfire code? Kinda stumped on were i should start first. Thank for your reply
Old 04-14-2010, 06:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ska4life07
I have the EVAP incomplete too after I installed headers. Anyway, does your service engine light blink?
The prvous owner must have yanked the bulb(he pulled the cats out) or it burnt out. Your car stumbling and backfiring too? What the heck is evap anyway?