Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Problems with new clutch and tranny, need help

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 06:28 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with new clutch and tranny, need help

I have a 99 trans am ws6 6 speed, i had a mechanic put in a new clutch and rebuilt tranny, he said to take it easy for the first 500 and its going to feel different. I put in a SPEC performance clutch, it is kind of difficult to put into first and reverse, when going from stop to first i keep stalling because there is very little play when letting off the clutch from the original. I'm not sure if it's me or possibly the rebuilt tranny? or bad brand new clutch? second gear doesn't always catch and i'll accidently end up grinding it. Any suggestions? the mechanic says it needs to be broken in but i'm not sure whats going on. Anyone ever have these issues?
Old 04-15-2010, 08:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

It could be the slave needs to be shimmed, but I would put the break-in miles on it first. If after 500-600 of easy break-in miles you still have the problems, take it back to the shop and ask them to check your slave engagement length to see if you need to shim it.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:12 PM

I'm having a similar issue, it's very difficult to get into first and reverse, pushing the clutch to the floor sometimes will go in smoothly. The transmission is just rebuilt and the clutch is brand new (LuK OEM style).

Do you know how far the slave should extend to fully disengage the clutch? Also, how long does the clutch need to be bled to fully work the air out? It's been pushing a steady stream of fluid, out of the clutch; is it possible that after more bleeding the clutch will disengage sooner? Should I expect it to be better in 5-600 miles as well?
Old 04-17-2010, 04:49 PM
Staging Lane

I'm waiting on an answer to the shop but they seem to be clueless, I'll tell them to put some shims behind the slave cylinder and see if that does anything
Old 04-17-2010, 05:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

SPEC should have provided a shim. It's about .150" thick. When my car had a spec the pedal was very high, almost at the top of the travel. When I took it apart there was a shim behind the slave cyl. It's made of paper/fiber and looks just like this one:

http://www.speedinc.com/cont.cfm?cid=C0000737
Old 04-18-2010, 07:25 PM
Staging Lane

it did come with a shim and still has issues
Old 04-20-2010, 10:21 AM

Mine was doing the exact same thing (listed in the post above).

I hooked a MityVac up to the fluid reservoir and put it on 5, 10, 15, then 20 Hg vacuum (http://home.comcast.net/~buschman_00...utchbleed.html - maintenance bleed in the instructions) and pumped through the top half of the clutch throw each time 20-30 times. This worked out numerous air bubbles, and it will now release completely where before it was very difficult even with the pedal on the floor. Took about 10 minutes with two people.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:23 PM
FormerVendor

Sorry I missed this post earlier. I agree with News, mighty vac the reservoir (and the bleeder valve off the slave if this was not done previously) and you should see a nice improvement relative to pedal travel for engagement. Keep me posted too if you have any further questions. Thanks,
Old 04-26-2010, 09:53 AM
Staging Lane

I had them vacuum it and it made no difference. They say I need to replace the slave cylinder but I just replaced it in August. Could it go that fast if it was being used with a bad clutch?

Quick Reply: Problems with new clutch and tranny, need help