Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

I Might have a big problem sponsers welcome.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 08:18 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I Might have a big problem sponsers welcome.

Ok guys heres my problem, I was driving my car this past Saturday and I was in 2nd gear goin through some corners not too fast about 3/4 throttle. I went over a slight hump in the road and then heard a really loud noise. It sounded and felt like a huge rock flew up and hit underneath the car or like I threw my drive shaft. I quikly pressed the clutch in and then I slowed the car down and released the clutch at about 15 mph in 2nd gear. I then felt vibrations throughout pretty much the whole car. The steering column, driver and pass. seat. So I pulled over and looked underneath the car. I diddnt see anything wierd. I started to take off again and felt the vibes in 1st and 2nd gear. By the time I got up to like 35mph I was in 3rd gear and the vibes lessoned alot to almost nothing and my buddy and I looked at each other like what the hell is this??? It just went away. I assumed it was one of those things that "fixed itself". Well I came to a Stop sign and took off again and theres my vibes in 1st and 2nd again! Nothing in the rest of the gears. I got to my fiances and parked it. Sunday we got in to drive to my buddys so we could take a better look. On are way out of the subdivision I had the vibes again in 1st. and 2nd. nothing in the rest of the gears. I got pissed off and when we left the subdivision on to the main road I went WOT in 1st to see what would happen. Well after I did that I got the vibes through 1st.-4th gear. I got to my buddys and we jacked it up and looked at the drive shaft and all the wieghts are on, all the U-bolts are tight. I cant figure this out. So we took it around the block and then I noticed that when im coasting at lets say 10 mph and push the clutch in and put the car in either 1st. or 2nd. gear I feel the vibes in the shifter! So now it leads me to think its a tranny issue. The car has no problems going in or out of gear it feels normal to me except where ever im getting this vibe from. I drove it home and on Monday I jacked it up on jack stands and looked at everything again and couldnt see anything wrong...... All I know is that it was fine before I went over this hump in the road and after that is when this all happend. I would think if it was a trans issue that it would be a gradual thing that I would notice. It makes me wonder if my pinion angle changed or somthing... My set up is a Mid West 9" with chromoly drive shaft. I looked at the torque arm and it dosent look like anything changed. If anyone has any advice I'd like to hear it. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Reaching on this one, but from the symptoms, it sounds like something may have broken off the clutch and is causing an out-of-balance vibration. If you can correlate the vibe to a particular RPM, it would corroborate the clutch.

Not too much inside the T56 that can fail and cause a vibe in only 1 & 2, that then changes and affects 1 -> 4....
Old 04-14-2010, 08:41 AM
12 Second Club

That makes sense too, It did sound like a clutch grenading or somthing. It happens in all the rpm range in 1st. and 2nd. Im gonna take it for another ride. Today and note what rpm specific its happening in the gears.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:14 PM
Banned

I would agree that it sounds like an out of balance issue with the clutch. Did you check your torque arm bushing and trans bushings also? I have had odd vibrations like this in the past, thinking I busted something big, only to find a torn bushing or mount somewhere.

If all is well, then you may have to look deeper into the clutch system. If still nothing there, you may have to find a shop that is capable of diagnosing the problem inside your trans.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:57 AM
12 Second Club

^ I did check all the bushings and stuff and all is well I am gonna pull the trans and check the clutch on it.

Quick Reply: I Might have a big problem sponsers welcome.