Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Wheel detailing tips needed CCW's Polished aluminum

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 09:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Wheel detailing tips needed CCW's Polished aluminum

ok guys i need help from the masters
i picked up a car last night and it has polished aluminum CCW's on it and they are HURTING, they need a weekend of polishing what should i use?

i was gonna go buy a couple of those mothers power ball things and some kind of polish?

what do you guys recomend???

thanks
Old 04-14-2010, 09:44 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

lots of time and hard work sound like your in the right direction i'de do what you plan on doing and if they don't turn out sell them to me
Old 04-14-2010, 09:45 AM

looking for some recomendations on polish
Old 04-14-2010, 09:46 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

how bad are they? if there pitted you might have to start with a rubbing compound. then i'de rock the mothers alum mag polish with the power *****
Old 04-14-2010, 10:00 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The best thing I've found to date is BlingMaster - it is the easiest I've ever used, and provides the best results versus effort required. Close behind that is English Custom Polishes...very similar consistency, but a little harder to wipe off.

I use two tools to help speed up the process - my PC 7424 and a corded drill. If you use a drill, make sure the chuck is plastic (which means it will probably also be keyless) - Harbor Freight has such a creature that is very reasonably priced. Chances are that it will catch on parts of the wheel and jump out of your hand - I've had a metal chuck do some damage when that happened to me. Live and learn.

For the drill, I use 3-4" cotton mushroom buff ***** - apply the polish to the wheel with a microfiber cloth, work it a little, and then buff off with the drill/buff ball combo. That works well for the spokes and such on my SP500s.

For the barrels of the wheels, I tried using my PC 7424 with a 3" white foam pad and the BlingMaster polish - it seemed to work well. The barrels have a lot of area to clean, so this helps speed up the process.

The type of polish you use is BY FAR the biggest factor when polishing these wheels - it has the biggest impact on the results and effort required. The drill and mushroom buff ***** are probably my favorite tools.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree...Blingmaster for sure. But I would get the Blingmaster GREEN STUFF and use it first the follow it with the ALUMINATOR.

Also if the barrels are BAD wet sand them and then polish them...it will save you a lot of time.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:33 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got some blunt master and love it
Old 04-14-2010, 11:22 AM

is Blingmaster available at like a Autozone or pepboys type places?
Old 04-14-2010, 12:29 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by thechef
is Blingmaster available at like a Autozone or pepboys type places?
Negative...I had to order mine. I've tried lots of stuff from local auto parts chains, and nothing comes close to working this well.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:22 PM
On The Tree

i used the mothers powerball and mothers polish and it worked on mine but i used some stuff that i got from my friend that works at a car wash its called wheel acid and its diluted with water i think not for sure? but i sprayed that on them waited thirty seconds and washed them off then i powerballed them and they came out lookin brand new minus the curb rash but my wheels where way bad when i got my car! you could see if a car wash near you has anything like that and if they would sell it to you?
Old 04-14-2010, 03:29 PM
On The Tree

if they are pitted your gonna need to sand and sand and sand...
Old 04-14-2010, 05:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have gotten good results from mother mag and aluminum polish and the powerball but it took a lot of work. I have yet to try blingmaster but that will be the next product I try once I'm done with my mothers polish.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Flitz wheel cleaner, Never Dull, and Blingmaster for me
Old 04-14-2010, 11:32 PM
TECH Addict

yeah id have to agree if they are pitted you are gonna need to wet sand. depending on how bad they are. i just did my TT2's a few weekends ago. I wrecked my T/A and got 2 brand new TT2's on the passenger side. So I had to get the driver side to look as good as my brand new ones on the passenger side. I started with 400 went to 600 - 800 -1000 - 1500 - then finally 2000 then polished them out with mothers billet, ( I tried the mothers mag/alum after the 2000 grit but the billet just seemed to work faster) They came out looking brand new sitting them next to the brand new side you can not tell the diffrence between the 2 year old rim and the brand new one. I would say the old ones i wet sanded might look better than the new ones. LOL. Anyway i was looking very closely ( I mean like my face a few inches from the rim) and i noticed the mothers products leave very very fine scratches after you polish the rim, I thought maybe i just had a dirty microfiber cloth so i grabed a brand new one and still have the very fine scratches. So i ordered bling master, i polished all 4 rims with bling master and the look like chrome now. no joke. So id say bling master is deffently worth the money and the wait once you order it. I'm not sure how it works on dirty rims cuz i already had them polished very well when i used the bling master but id take everyones word that it works very well and fast.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Below is what mine looked like after the car sat outside for about a year while completely redoing the car. I used a bench top grinder and fit a buff wheel on it using some green polish that I got from Home Depot. I'll have to try and find the name.

Straight off the car.

Buffed centers and barrels.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

if you want something locally use the mothers billet. Dont use the blue magic or the regular mothers in the big red can. All that will do is haze the the finish on the wheel.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I agree. The first time I polished these wheels I had very good results with the Mother's Billet and a Power Ball it just took forever though.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:46 AM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

I just ordered some more green stuff and the aluminator
Old 04-16-2010, 05:48 PM
Launching!

DopefedZ- ur ccw's look badass after the polish!

I was thinking of doing this to my iforged aero's. Does anyone know where to get/order new rivits for my wheels? I don't even know if they're called "rivits" because they're almost like little bolts but anyways a handful of mine almost have this rust on them and I was thinking about replacing them when I take my wheels apart to polish/clean them here soon.

Kody
Old 04-16-2010, 06:40 PM
11 Second Club

If you want to buy something online.. get BlingMaster.

If you want something from an Auto Store, get Mothers Mag & Aluminum polish, or mothers Billet. Those are the two best you'll find at a parts store. Apparently the Billet model is better than the other, but I've never tried it.

Or go DopeFed's route, and get some green polish from home depot. Either of these ways, you can't go wrong.

Quick Reply: Wheel detailing tips needed CCW's Polished aluminum