Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

project diffuser... if you've made one, come on in!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default project diffuser... if you've made one, come on in!

The situation: cut trunk, relocated battery, tubular rear bumper support

The problem: large air pocket acting as a parachute

The solution: functional rear diffuser

The template:

Believe it or not, actual engineering went into making our cars!!! The rear bumper follows the recommended angle of 7* (7-10*) for producing actual downforce (high velocity = low pressure = downforce)!!

Fitment:

Overall the template came out great. It sits at a 20* angle where it meets the gas tank and is a perfect 7* from the ground.

What do I make this thing out of!?!? Total measurement is 54x31" so my original thought of 1/8" aluminum plate might be too heavy. Thinner aluminum might not hold the air pressure. ABS? I dont have anyone to cut it or bend it 20*. Any suggestions?

Last edited by InsaneAuto86; 04-15-2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:14 AM
TECH Addict

What are you doing with the car to want/need a diffuser (i'm curious). You sound smart, so I'm sure you know by adding the diffuser you are creating an aerodynamic problem with the rear of your car...unless you have a spoiler to counter the now fast moving air under the car.

Also, you are creating probably a similar amount of drag (maybe less) by leaving the end closest to the front of the car "open" on the sides rather than shaping all the way around for a total enclosure.

there is a great thread over on frrax dot com about building diffusers with lots of engineering put into airflow and other calculations. Are you planning to just leave it smooth like that, or adding "fins" as well?
Old 04-15-2010, 12:42 PM
TECH Addict

Looks good, get a piece of sheet metal and get to work!
Old 04-15-2010, 01:36 PM
12 Second Club

Subscribed
Old 04-15-2010, 01:51 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Looks like good progress. Keep us updated.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:23 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would really like to see a Formula, a Trans Am, and a Camaro in a wind tunnel. I have considered building a flat bottom for the F-Bodies. When I did research into it, I found that it takes around 140 for it to be beneficial. I will never see that speed (137 is my best trap), so I let it go. If someone could prove that wrong in an wind tunnel, I might be in for this. You seem to have a talent for fabrication. Sheet metal would be fine and I would be one of the first in line if you chose to build this, or a full flat undercarriage kit. Keep us updated either way. This is something that I put a lot of thought into, and you have taken the step I never did: actual fabrication and fitting. I at least commend you for that.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SIK02SS
by adding the diffuser you are creating an aerodynamic problem with the rear of your car
I doubt what I am doing could be any worse than the parachute that is there now.

Also, you are creating probably a similar amount of drag (maybe less) by leaving the end closest to the front of the car "open" on the sides rather than shaping all the way around for a total enclosure.
If you are referring to the driver side, that area is covered pretty well by the tire and suspension. There is maybe a 6" gap behind the upper half of the rear tire, and I dont see much air getting deflected up there. The main area, between the tires is completely covered.

Are you planning to just leave it smooth like that, or adding "fins" as well?
I will add fins, maybe 3-5 non-ricer, low-profile ones.

Originally Posted by transsam
When I did research into it, I found that it takes around 140 for it to be beneficial. I will never see that speed (137 is my best trap), so I let it go.
Agree, but the angle is the most important factor. For a street car, 7* will work at highway speed (70mph +), a steeper angle (7-10*) will work better for higher speeds. GM designed the rear bumper at a 7* angle, so I assume there is a benefit on a street car. This project will make the car look a ton better too.

Last edited by InsaneAuto86; 04-15-2010 at 09:01 PM.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

looks good man!. im still waiting to wrap mine up in carbon fiber. =0
Old 04-15-2010, 09:50 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by InsaneAuto86
This project will make the car look a ton better too.
No question there. Particularly on the Camaros. Even so, I would love the look on my T/A.

With fins, it could break the design, or make it amazing. There won't be an in-between! Please keep us updated. This is a pretty damned cool project!!!
Old 04-16-2010, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just purchased a 48"x56" .090 piece of aluminum sheet. Total invested so far $46.00. Should be enough left over to make 3-4 fins.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:30 AM
TECH Addict

by creating an aero problem I am referring to the fast air under the car creating lift in the rear. We already have a light rear end stock, by creating a "lift" from faster air moving under it you're making the rear even lighter from aero. Adding a spoiler like one from LG or ACP would solve that problem. The parachute effect you're speaking about that we have from the factory actually helps keep the rear end planted by catching air in there; the opposite of what you will be doing with a diffuser..
Old 04-16-2010, 11:34 AM
TECH Regular

Damn dude, subscribing! You shoulda posted this in the drag race forums though
Old 04-16-2010, 11:34 AM
12 Second Club

Will it help ET is the question.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:36 AM
TECH Regular

I was wondering about all this with mine as well. I'm really wanting to chop out the trunk, but I'm worried about the massive air pocket it'll create in the rear end.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:51 AM
On The Tree

by creating an aero problem I am referring to the fast air under the car creating lift in the rear. We already have a light rear end stock, by creating a "lift" from faster air moving under it you're making the rear even lighter from aero. Adding a spoiler like one from LG or ACP would solve that problem. The parachute effect you're speaking about that we have from the factory actually helps keep the rear end planted by catching air in there; the opposite of what you will be doing with a diffuser..
i'm pretty sure if the air under the car is moving faster, it will be lower pressure, therefore the lift force direction is downward, so not pushing the rear up but pulling it down.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I believe you've got it backwards.

Fast moving air reduces pressure, which actually will "suck" the bottom of the car downwards.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Neat idea but I don't see what the problem is. Lot's of guys don't run anything back there. Do you feel the rear end lift at the end of the drag strip?
Old 04-16-2010, 12:54 PM
TECH Addict

My mistake then. I guess I always learned that wrong/heard wrong. Carry on
Old 04-16-2010, 01:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Looks sweet man. Subscribing
Old 04-16-2010, 01:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Coming from an Aerospace Engineer here:

It's not going to make a discernable difference. That "Parachute" doesn't work the same way as a parachute, it actually will generate an eddy current that will decrease drag on the car. Adding the 'diffuser' as you call it will have a slight downforce effect, but at the expense of extremely high skin friction drag and increased turbulence and upward vortices coming off the tail of the car. These will decrease the performance of any spoiler or actual inverted wing that you may have on your car. (My Z28 has both... inverted wing with an upper surface lip spoiler... idk about everyone else's)

Long story short:
Increases drag
Increases downforce

Adding an additional spoiler would be more efficient at generating downforce with a smaller amount of drag.

Wind tunnel testing Camaros doesn't work right because of the inlet of the engine at high RPMs actually has a significant effect on the airflow around the nose of the car... and exhaust has a similar effect on flow behind the car... makes it nearly impossible to directly model, especially for wind tunnel testing at anything but a wind tunnel/dyno full scale test.

Quick Reply: project diffuser... if you've made one, come on in!