Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mount install - Need Advice

Old 04-15-2010, 10:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mount install - Need Advice

I'm installing Spohn solid mounts.

I've almost got both stock mounts removed, but I can't get the passenger side out of there. It won't clear. I'm guessing I should have unbolted the through bolt before I unbolted it from the car. Or, can disconnect the starter and go out that way?

Thanks,
Nick
Old 04-15-2010, 10:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 105
I'm installing Spohn solid mounts.

I've almost got both stock mounts removed, but I can't get the passenger side out of there. It won't clear. I'm guessing I should have unbolted the through bolt before I unbolted it from the car. Or, can disconnect the starter and go out that way?

Thanks,
Nick
When I installed my spohn solids I removed the starter and took the mount complete without taking them apart. I also had to lift the motor up a little.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Awesome! It looks like thats my plan then. I just wanted to make sure before I started unbolting a bunch of crap.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:46 PM
TECH Resident

Also, I bolted them on to my block first. Then I eased the engine back down and started the bolts evenly on both sides. If you bolt on one side first then you will have not be able to bolt on the other side.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Got it, thanks. I'll be getting back into it tomorrow after work.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:52 PM
TECH Resident

Oh yeah, make sure that you run a poly trans mount! good luck bud!
Old 04-16-2010, 07:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by dgcustomz
Oh yeah, make sure that you run a poly trans mount! good luck bud!
I think I'm gonna stick with the stock rubber.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

I got them in! Torqued to 37 ft/lbs., with locktite. One I couldn't torque though, just made it as tight as possible. It seems like they all could be tighter though.

The only problem I ran into installing was the bolts weren't lining up at first. I fixed this problem by jacking the car from the front instead of the side, with the jack centered on the oil pan with a wood block. When you jack the car up the jack moves and causes the engine move in whatever the jack moves. They lined up perfectly.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:25 PM
On The Tree

i don't know how you did your bolts, but one basic rule of thumb i always apply, is do not tighten anything till it is all lined up. when i installed mine (bout a month ago) i put a couple threads up top (motor side) on both drivers and passengers side then slowly lowered the motor, as it got close enough to put the bottom ones in i did, i still had tons of play so it made it easy. slowly lower the motor, tighten a couple threads just keep doing that, it makes it easier, and lessens the chance of cross threading. just my .02 but you already got it done lol, but for the next person who reads this.

oh, how do you like them?? the startups are basically awesome IMO it makes the car feel really solid!!
Old 04-17-2010, 11:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah thats pretty much what I did. I was lowering and tightening a few times before I actually torqued them down.
My only question is how tight did you torque them.

Start up was awesome, but mainly because I started the car for the first time with open headers today after I got those in. That was the main reason I got the mounts so the headers would fit. The mounts do make it that much better though.

Search this Thread