Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

C5 Custom CAI? need opinions

Old 04-16-2010, 01:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 Custom CAI? need opinions

Ok just picked up my 03Z and its bone stock. I did the ziptie mod the other day and I started to look at intake setups. I'm well aware the blackwing and vararam are the most popular, but the guy I got the vette from does nothing but buy/sell/modify vettes, and warned against the Vararam due to it sucking up water. He supposedly had to replace 3 motors for customers last year because of that. So after hours of research I sort of landed on the Breathless Performance Vortex system, however after looking at it, I figured I could custom make one using an f-body lid and the cone filter, saving me some money and getting the same result.

So: has anyone tried this? Does anybody have the dimensions on one of the vortex boxes so I can compare with an f-body lid to see if this is feasable?

Any other input is welcome.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

VaraRam DOES NOT suck water into the motor unless you are dumb enough to drive thru a deep *** puddle or a flooded out street. I've been unfortunate and been caught in several heavy down pours and drove thru them like nothing. I was concerned a bit, but after checking to see if the filter had gotten wet and found that it was DRY reassured me that the system doesn't allow water into the motor. Unless of course (see above). The design makes it difficult for water to get to the filter, let alone past the filter. Also any water that may be sucked into the inlets will merely collect at the bottom and drain out.

Now the real issue at hand is the install. It was a real bitch to do. The setup didn't line up properly and had to be played with a bit to get everything to line up and fit properly. Airbox sealed great. No tuning needed, just follow the instructions and let the computer "learn" the new parmameters. I think it was about 30 mins of varied driving, and then on to the expressway for some WOT fun.

Bottom line, I say get it. Also keep in mind they probably received numerous complaints about quality control and certainly have had plenty of time to make them better. I purchased mine back in 2004. The old units really were junk, but they do work.
Old 04-17-2010, 01:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

http://www.sbfilters.com/s.nl;jsessi...0?it=A&id=1108

Go with this. It will attach directly to your MAF. You can cut an opening in the shroud directly below the filter to get more cool air and still have good water protection.
Old 04-17-2010, 02:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the Vortex Rammer from Breathless Performance. Looked and worked great. Only problem is that when you need to clean the filter (I did every 3 months), there are 6 bolts to unscrew to get to it. If you order the see-thru box and you want to keep it clean, you need to pull it apart often because you see the billions of bugs that didn't quite make it.

Aside from that, the CIA was awesome.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

i did the front plate mod- I took a dremel to the plastic behind the front liscense plate. I have a blackwing filter btw. I then dremeled the front liscense plate, put some weather stripping around the hole on the plate, and put a mesh grille behind it. So now, air goes right through the liscense plate, through the hole, thru the hole in the bumper, right to the filter. I havent run it in hard heavy rain, and i keep an extra full plate around so i could easily switch them out if i need to drive in hard rain.. (which is ultra rare). Great gain in throttle response and a little more oomf. Look on corvetteforum for the writeup
Old 04-20-2010, 05:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It rains in Peoria?! LOL
Old 04-20-2010, 07:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

well we get rain once in a great while, and we do get a monsoon season. so i rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it
Old 04-21-2010, 02:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hmmm.. Interesting. Never seen it rain there.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

it hailed here yesterday in fact. i know because i was out in it
Old 04-22-2010, 11:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Holy crap! That's pretty crazy.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:01 PM
TECH Resident

I have the MTI Honker knockoff for sale if interested. Like the Honker it is a true cold air intake. Kit comes with shroud, filter, couplings, power ducts and clamps. Because you don't have to cut your shroud, you can remove and sell when finished with it. I had to put oil cooler on mine so intake will not fit. Here are a couple of pics:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I have more pics if interested.

$250 shipped which is less than 1/2 of Honker and less than VR even without power duct. Let me know if interested.

Thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C5 Custom CAI? need opinions